1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2016 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

ecarlino wrote:
you seem to want to make global statements, likely that fit your preferences: but there are no 'rules' - use whatever focal length you want to stitch or not stitch - it's just another 'tool' if the situation fits. you're great at pointing out where it doesn't work, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of situations where it could work.

Yes, but the op is asking advice as to what gear to take and is wondering if 25mm is wide enough. I'm giving examples where a wider lens would be handy...where your post if stitching would not help.

I've stitched images as well, static scenes to create a pano, not to substitute for a wide
Angle lens.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:22 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

Okay 1st is a Pano the second is a stitch. Same type of result but different technique

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

The big advantage here is really the ability to add a ton of resolution power for printing. Either one of these images we are talking in yards not feet for printing. These are MF images with at least 5 shots in them the bottom one is about 9 stitched shots. These are massive files so I can go really really big in printing. Besides the look of the image you get more resolution.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez wrote:
Yes, but the op is asking advice as to what gear to take and is wondering if 25mm is wide enough. I'm giving examples where a wider lens would be handy...where your post if stitching would not help.

I've stitched images as well, static scenes to create a pano, not to substitute for a wide
Angle lens.

If you want to divert back to that, the OP was specifically asking about "trips to the Sistine Chapel and Pantheon".
I suggested that 18mm (single shot, not pano) worked well for me but also that using a 25 to stitch would work perfectly as well.
He wasn't talking about sticking his nose into the crotch or armpit of a ladies at a market as in your examples (where, i agree, a pano would probably not work), rather he was generally interested in static interiors, probably ceilings as is generally the case - where stitching with a 25 is very doable.
My pano was posted as an example (to compare with Seb's excellent 12mm stitch) to show that a WA or UWA is not necessary to construct a pano (my shot used a 55mm).

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM
sebbe
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez wrote:
I'm all for getting and using the right gear for the situation. If you need a wide angle lens, then just use a wide angle lens.

Here are examples where stitching just would not work.

I don't want to be picky here, but the "good" thing in street photography is, that you can easily stop in the right distance while you are aproaching the subject. So there is never need for stitching, just move one or two step back if you have a 35mm instead of a 25mm with you.

In landscape, architecture and indoor there are limitations (e.g. walls or distance). but also less movement in the shot...

@Guy: Thanks for the nice panos or stitches. May you explain a non english person like me the difference? I have a guess, but just want to be sure.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

<deleted>

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 11:43 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

sebbe wrote:
I don't want to be picky here, but the "good" thing in street photography is, that you can easily stop in the right distance while you are aproaching the subject. So there is never need for stitching, just move one or two step back if you have a 35mm instead of a 25mm with you.

You obviously have not shot in a crowded market where stepping back might mean stepping into a pile of fresh fish. There is also the intimacy aspect of a wide angle image shot in close...brings the viewers eyes right into the scene rather than standing back and feeling like you are on the outside looking in.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

sebbe wrote:
I don't want to be picky here, but the "good" thing in street photography is, that you can easily stop in the right distance while you are aproaching the subject. So there is never need for stitching, just move one or two step back if you have a 35mm instead of a 25mm with you............

Sorry Sebbe but it most definitely isn't that simple. It maybe so with the shots of the street market sellers above however even then there may be a busy street right behind you, possibly a lot of people walking in front of you or maybe, in other scenes, just a few moments to grab a fleeting shot. Certainly in Chez's pics there may have been more time but for street in general that is far from the norm in fact usually the opposite - unless you set up a shot and wait for a subject to enter it - generally you are shooting from where you are. I agree no need for stitching of course.

As for stitching from multiple shots in the Sistine Chapel : what is the OP's experience in this regard ? He needs to be happy shooting fully manual as he won't want AP or SP, where the light can influence his exposure shot to shot in the series, and he needs to be very confident that he can get the shot he has come so far for.

People are strongly advocating one way over the other based on their personal experiences and experience levels, not his. The 16-50 will likely give him that shot, stitching may or may not depending on a number of factors, if you were in his situation which would you choose, the highest or lowest probability ? And if not stitching then the 25mm is nowhere near wide enough.

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

Well Pano is many shots but done in a rotation fashion. Quickly gotta go get the grandkids. But if your on a tripod and you shoot a image left than say take several shots going right in a ROTATION than that is considered a pano. Stitching is different as you take a image on the left than you shift the camera but the sensor remains completely flat to the scene so your shifting the sensor via the camera but the sensor stays flat at all times. Go back to the pano shot lets say on a tripod imagine what the sensor is doing on a rotation that plane changes on every image just like the camera. On a flat stitch the camera is always flat and either you are moving the lens ONLY or the Camera ONLY but the sensor always remains flat to subject. Flat stitch is always going to be the more accurate technique as the sensor never moves in any of the shots. Pano the sensor is moving in every shot so critically it is not as accurate. This is big in architecture type work as you always want to try to flat stitch. Panos are awesome and work great but they are the cheating to multi frame shooting. They work great though and some great software out there to do amazing job with it. PS alone is all i use

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:11 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez wrote:
You obviously have not shot in a crowded market where stepping back might mean stepping into a pile of fresh fish. There is also the intimacy aspect of a wide angle image shot in close...brings the viewers eyes right into the scene rather than standing back and feeling like you are on the outside looking in.

There is a old saying if i needed to get close that one step I would fall off the cliff. Maybe its a new saying??

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

ecarlino wrote:
If you want to divert back to that, the OP was specifically asking about "trips to the Sistine Chapel and Pantheon".
I suggested that 18mm (single shot, not pano) worked well for me but also that using a 25 to stitch would work perfectly as well.
He wasn't talking about sticking his nose into the crotch or armpit of a ladies at a market as in your examples (where, i agree, a pano would probably not work), rather he was generally interested in static interiors, probably ceilings as is generally the case - where stitching with a 25 is very doable.
My pano
...Show more

I think I'll just stop here. Seems like you are taking things very personal here and starting to make very derogatory posts. Suggest you just lighten up a tad as we all have different shooting styles and the beauty of a community is we can quickly get different perspectives on a given situation...but not when things get personal and rude.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM
sebbe
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez wrote:

---------------------------------------------

Frogfish wrote:
Sorry Sebbe but it most definitely isn't that simple. It maybe so with the shots of the street market sellers above however even then there may be a busy street right behind you, possibly a lot of people walking in front of you or maybe, in other scenes, just a few moments to grab a fleeting shot. Certainly in Chez's pics there may have been more time but for street in general that is far from the norm in fact usually the opposite - unless you set up a shot and wait for a subject to enter it - generally
...Show more

I have to confess, I'm not a street shooter. But, when I'm in the streets, I move and approach different depending on the lens I have on the body. But you are right, of course there are limitations. I would not take a 50 to a fleet market, a bazar or a cliff.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:32 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

chez wrote:
I think I'll just stop here. Seems like you are taking things very personal here and starting to make very derogatory posts. Suggest you just lighten up a tad as we all have different shooting styles and the beauty of a community is we can quickly get different perspectives on a given situation...but not when things get personal and rude.

Yes we do all have different shooting styles (and every tool has it's place) - that's been my point from the start; glad you finally get it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:42 PM
psmichael

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

Wow. Things escalated too quickly here. Well. I will not be getting the batis due to the general concensus that it is not wide enough for travel in Europe. Will probably get the 16-35 for the flexibility. Thanks a lot everyone!

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:17 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

psmichael wrote:
Wow. Things escalated too quickly here. Well. I will not be getting the batis due to the general concensus that it is not wide enough for travel in Europe. Will probably get the 16-35 for the flexibility. Thanks a lot everyone!

The 16-35 is a good choice if you are not sure what focal length you would use the most. At the wide end ( 16-24 ) you won't be giving up any image quality.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:45 PM
ChrisLovesUgly
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

psmichael wrote:

I have the 16-35 and the Batis 25, and I like them both a lot. If I could only take one of them on a trip, it would be the 16-35, without a doubt. My two lens kit is usually the 16-35 and the 55. I love the Batis, but it is probably my least used of those 3 lenses. I've even been toying with the idea of selling it because I don't use it enough.

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:56 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

I also have the 16-35 and Batis 25.

I sometimes travel with the B25/FE55 for a light two lens combo (used to be FE 28/FE55), but I generally bring the FE 16-35/FE55 combo when traveling.

I don't think it is that big or heavy a lens, is a lot more flexible than the Batis when traveling, and IQ is great up to 24-28mm or so, and improves a lot at 35mm closed down a couple of stops.

That said, I think the Batis 25 has better IQ - really astounding, in fact - and it is fun to play with bokeh on close subjects.

Recently got the GM 24-70/2.8 - now that's a big and heavy lens!

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

darrellc wrote:
I generally bring the FE 16-35/FE55 combo when traveling.

X2. The 16-35mm f/4 has awesome performance and you won't be giving up anything in that respect...

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

Btw if anyone wants me to explain Panos and Flat stitching better let me know and maybe start a thread on it. I done a lot of it with MF with Tech cams / DSLR style and they differ between 35 and tech cams with flat stitching techniques. Much different gearing to accomplish on each

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:35 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 25 Batis vs Zony 16-35

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw if anyone wants me to explain Panos and Flat stitching better let me know and maybe start a thread on it. I done a lot of it with MF with Tech cams / DSLR style and they differ between 35 and tech cams with flat stitching techniques. Much different gearing to accomplish on each

I'd tune in.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:46 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.