New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Comments Requested

Rbedw

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Comments Requested

I want to buy a small travel camera that will provide extraordinary image quality. I have danced around the Sony RX1 for months and can't justify the entry price of $3000+ for something that I may or may not be used enough to warrant. Every time I read about the Fuji X-A3 I think it may be what I am looking for. Match it up with a Zeiss Touit lens and I am thinking it may be work just fine. The new X-A3 with 24mp is slated for shipping in November and at $595 is not much of a financial risk if it doesn't work the way I hope.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this....pro or con.

Thank you,

Bob

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:34 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Comments Requested

I think perhaps you've answered your own question.

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:51 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Comments Requested

Well, I love Zeiss glass and the Touit lenses are good lenses but they do not offer much compared to native Fuji glass. The Fuji lenses are usually more compact, focus faster and have have at least as good or better IQ. For compact travelling I'd consider the 14/2.8, 23/2, 35/2 and possibly the 60/2.4 macro. If you like zoom the 18-55/2.8-4 is compact and better than you might think.

Other lenses are bigger and would make less sense with the A3 in my opinion.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:00 AM
Rbedw

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Comments Requested

Thank you Hauxon. I agree it would be prudent to try the lens that comes with the XA3 first. I have used Zeiss lenses off and on for many years and not sure the Touit is up to the level of other Zeiss formulas. There is a Zeiss look but not sure it's included in the Touit.

Appreciate your suggestions!

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Comments Requested

If cost is an object — and with no sacrifice in image quality — keep it small and get a Fujifilm prime lens.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:30 AM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Comments Requested

Want it small? Get the Fuji 27/2.8 pancake lens - very reasonably priced - highly underrated! A3/27 - Great travel companion!

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:21 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Comments Requested

I second the 27/2.8 lens. It is compact and very sharp. The 23/2 and 35/2 aren't big either.

As an alternative you could consider a secondhand X100S or X100T. You gain a viewfinder and some extra functions, but the sensor is 16MP.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Comments Requested

Rbedw wrote:
...I have used Zeiss lenses off and on for many years and not sure the Touit is up to the level of other Zeiss formulas. There is a Zeiss look but not sure it's included in the Touit.

I often use Zeiss Contax and ZE lenses on my Canon cameras, but I'm very happy to use the Fujifilm XF 14/2.8, 27/2.8, 35/1.4, and 18-55 OIS, on my X-E2. I have no suppressed urge to go Zeiss for Fuji X, even though I agree that Zeiss is nice.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:01 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Comments Requested

the Zeiss tuit, has not tested as well as in the corners as the Fuji equals, especially the 14, but you don't mention the focal length you prefer. The AX-3 does not have an X-trans sensor, so it warrants it's own investigation as far as quality because it simply is not that same sensor that equals "Fuji" in the looks department. I've no experience with it - does it use an AA filter?

Of course ihmo, the ideal of a camera of peerless image quality is a non-starter, without stating what sort of quality inspires you photographic taste buds. Flare? Veiling flare? little or lots - for character? Flat plane of focus?
Soft dreamy like the 56 wide open where it changes character completely by F2.8? Or do you like a lens that draws cold and clinical and perfect as much as possible at all apertures?

What do you like? and do you shoot jpg only to make this a worthwhile characteristic to plant your flag around, or are you going to post process as is the modern way, rending the lens's recipe to only that of a starting point?

I'd say, forget the "one that rules them all" in the image quality department and focus instead on the idea of something very portable in the focal length that you enjoy shooting. If it works for you - you will be back for at least one other Fuji or Zeiss gem. If it does not work for you ... you will be back for at least one other Fuji or Zeiss lens.

It's mostly a mirage, much like the idea of only one perfect movie, one perfect friend or one perfect food. And at the important end of life's pursuits, there sure as heck is not one perfect beer only - to be quested after! Egads!

Forget the mirage and live. Start with one ... and do as we all do. Lie about the money spent to the wife!

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:36 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Comments Requested

Personally, I am having a hard time resisting an RX1 even though I have the 23/1.4. I would even sell my 23/1.4. There is just something incredibly special about the RX1 and it's IQ. NEARLY perfect in every way.

The worst part? They pop up on B&S board for a bit over $1k. SO much temptation.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM
Lakemcd

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Comments Requested

TheEmrys wrote:
Personally, I am having a hard time resisting an RX1 even though I have the 23/1.4. I would even sell my 23/1.4. There is just something incredibly special about the RX1 and it's IQ. NEARLY perfect in every way.

The worst part? They pop up on B&S board for a bit over $1k. SO much temptation.

The RX1 was my only camera on a 4 week walk through Portugal and Spain this Summer. The image quality is stellar and I find the FF allows for very reasonable crops without losing much in image quality. It's almost equivalent to having a 32- 40mm lens onboard without switching lenses. And yes there is some fairy dust in that lens, and the Fuji 35 I might add.

I do have to say that more care needs to be taken in low light AF situations, I find the the X-E2 better in this regard.

As far as the 1K price of entry....consider what others have comment on, that being, if you price that lens alone, then as a whole it's fairly reasonable. Sorry, probably didn't do your bank account any favors here

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM
melviny
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Comments Requested

Would you consider a used Nikon Coolpix A? You can periodically find them for $400 or less and they provide great IQ. The only downside is the AF is pretty slow but it's a great pocket camera. I also have the Sony RX100 ii - it's pretty good also and more compact but it's only got the 1" sensor.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM
polishbroadcas

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Comments Requested

lexvo wrote:
As an alternative you could consider a secondhand X100S or X100T. You gain a viewfinder and some extra functions, but the sensor is 16MP.

100% this. If you don't need a zoom lens X100T (or S) would be the one I would take on a trip, and I have. The image quality is spectacular but it's still pretty wee. I even made a photo book from the pictures I took with the original X100 when visiting some friends and it looked professionally shot. Even years later having "nicer" gear I look back at those images as some of the best I've taken, or at least the most consistently good from a single camera.

For a little less money you could also get the X10 which would also give you zoom.

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 09:54 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:01 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Comments Requested

Thank you Delatant!

I don't really need for it to be that small. I would be concerned with the effectual focal length being around 40mm. I would find more use if the focal length is equal to around 25mm max.

Delatant wrote:
Want it small? Get the Fuji 27/2.8 pancake lens - very reasonably priced - highly underrated! A3/27 - Great travel companion!

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:39 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Comments Requested

Thank you....the 27mm becomes a 40mm on the XA3. I really need for the lens to have a much wider coverage. 18-24mm would be perfect.

lexvo wrote:
I second the 27/2.8 lens. It is compact and very sharp. The 23/2 and 35/2 aren't big either.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:42 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Comments Requested

I suspect the 14mm or 16mm would do what I would want it to do. I need to research some landscape images to see what they look like.

Thank you.

jcolwell wrote:
I often use Zeiss Contax and ZE lenses on my Canon cameras, but I'm very happy to use the Fujifilm XF 14/2.8, 27/2.8, 35/1.4, and 18-55 OIS, on my X-E2. I have no suppressed urge to go Zeiss for Fuji X, even though I agree that Zeiss is nice.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:43 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Comments Requested

Thank you for the note.

The camera I get needs to have a wide angle....effective focal length of 18-24mm.

Some of my past cameras used Leica, Zeiss & Schneider lenses and when I go through my archives I can see the differences. The last camera that I owned was a Nikon D3 and it was a very nice camera and the first digital that was excellent in low and natural light. I would expect most images would be made in RAW and post processed via Photoshop or whatever works best with the equipment. I no longer want the weight and the bulk but I do want the image quality.

The A3 may not do what I want it to do. The smaller sensor size may not work. I may have to bite the bullet & get the Sony RX or an A7. My gut is telling me that I should get a camera with interchangeable lenses. I am going to make a decision by this coming weekend.

Dilemma! Thanks for you comments.

Pavel wrote:
the Zeiss tuit, has not tested as well as in the corners as the Fuji equals, especially the 14, but you don't mention the focal length you prefer. The AX-3 does not have an X-trans sensor, so it warrants it's own investigation as far as quality because it simply is not that same sensor that equals "Fuji" in the looks department. I've no experience with it - does it use an AA filter?

Of course ihmo, the ideal of a camera of peerless image quality is a non-starter, without stating what sort of quality inspires you photographic taste buds. Flare?
...Show more

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Comments Requested

Yes...I agree the RX1 is so enticing. I love to look through the images made with the RX1. You can tell it's special.

If I knew someone that had one locally and would sell it I would consider.

Thank you!

TheEmrys wrote:

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:03 PM
Rbedw

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Comments Requested

I am not familiar with the Coolpix A. I will research it.

Thank you.

melviny wrote:
Would you consider a used Nikon Coolpix A? You can periodically find them for $400 or less and they provide great IQ. The only downside is the AF is pretty slow but it's a great pocket camera. I also have the Sony RX100 ii - it's pretty good also and more compact but it's only got the 1" sensor.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:23 PM
melviny
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Comments Requested

The Coolpix A has an apsc sized sensor and is very fun to use. It's got a fixed 28mm 2.8 lens and is very compact but not as compact as the Sony RX100 line. For lightness, I carry either the Nikon Coolpix, Sony A6000 or NEX 5N depending on where I'm going. My daughter or son use the RX100 ii since it's ultra compact. I used to haul a couple of dslr's but have become lazy in my older age (plus I'm just an amateur). Good luck - I think a nice used Coolpix A would be a good option for you.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.