New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

pizdets17
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

Question. I've switched all my lenses to a mount (except for 35 2.8 fe) in anticipation of the new a99II. I just got a last minute trip to SF Bay area I wasn't expecting and wondering if I should take my a7r2 with the lae3 and 4 adapters or I can buy a used a99 locally for around $1000. I am looking to shoot the local attractions (bridge, alcatraz, etc) as well as hopefully some astro with the coastline as a back drop. Thoughts?

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:05 AM
Slalom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

I would say take the A7r2 and the adapters, then selectively for each outing.
1 You would take a cost on the A99 when the A99II comes through, unless you plan a back up body.
2 You are familiar with the A7R2, how much effort and lost shots learning that a99 controls, unless you have extensive experience already.
3 A99 at that price is 50% of new price http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/a99/deals-and-prices so is it going to be a sensible buy, on reliabilty/resale. Also things like batteries tripod L brackets etc can you source those for this and the A99II?

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM
MikeEvangelist
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

Now that I've had my a99v for a week, I'd say the decision comes down to -

24mpx vs 42mpx
Dynamic range/high ISO performance
Astro performance

For most of what I shoot, the higher resolution isn't that important. On the other hand, the dynamic range factor might make me select the A7Rii for some settings. The a99 is no slouch, but the A7Rii is definitely better.

I don't do astro, so can't comment specifically, but I imagine one might have advantages over the other in this area. (long exposure noise, etc).

As Slolom said, the final factor in your decision might be your level of operational comfort with each body. The a99 is a much different beast than the A7 - not sure I'd want to be getting used to its differences while I'm in the middle of a special/highly photogenic trip.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM
MikeEvangelist
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

One more thing. If you do get an a99...

The one I bought didn't come with any batteries. So as I usually do, I ordered some Wasabi-brand replacements. I've had great results with that brand with my other cameras, but with the a99 the battery endurance was quite disappointing.

At first I worried there might be a problem with the used a99, but thought it might be wise to try Sony batteries to see if they behaved the same way. So I ordered a couple Sony-brand batteries and to my surprise, they deliver far more shots per charge than the Wasabis.

I ran some controlled tests, shooting 400 shots with each. After 400 shots, the Sony battery still had 63% left, but the Wasabi was down to 37%.

So...be sure to factor in batteries.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

I have both, and for traveling, I'd also go with the A7Rii.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trogdon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

I'd only get the a99 if you have a majority of lenses that are screw driven. It's a bit better with those, but since you mention you have an LA-EA4 even that shouldn't really be a problem

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:24 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

16-35/2.8 works nicely with a7x with la-ea3 adaptor. So does 24-70. AF is so-so but with tripod it will do.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:57 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

I pre bought batteries for the a99 so I should be good there

MikeEvangelist wrote:
One more thing. If you do get an a99...

The one I bought didn't come with any batteries. So as I usually do, I ordered some Wasabi-brand replacements. I've had great results with that brand with my other cameras, but with the a99 the battery endurance was quite disappointing.

At first I worried there might be a problem with the used a99, but thought it might be wise to try Sony batteries to see if they behaved the same way. So I ordered a couple Sony-brand batteries and to my surprise, they deliver far more shots per charge than the Wasabis.
...Show more

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:59 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

thanks for your input!

Betacamman wrote:
I have both, and for traveling, I'd also go with the A7Rii.

Oct 26, 2016 at 04:59 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A99 vs A7r2 to take on trip with a mount lenses

Yea I would have 6 days to learn the a99 vs the almost 2 years i've spent with the a7r2 so I don't know if I want the hassle. I have some plates that would work for tripod usage but not a bracket for the a99

Slalom wrote:
I would say take the A7r2 and the adapters, then selectively for each outing.
1 You would take a cost on the A99 when the A99II comes through, unless you plan a back up body.
2 You are familiar with the A7R2, how much effort and lost shots learning that a99 controls, unless you have extensive experience already.
3 A99 at that price is 50% of new price http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/a99/deals-and-prices so is it going to be a sensible buy, on reliabilty/resale. Also things like batteries tripod L brackets etc can you source those for this and the A99II?

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:00 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password