New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

First I did not think I'd like the 35 f 2.0. Seeing it in person made me realize that you can read and read, but that there is no substitute to handling an item. The 35 F 2.0 is so well made, that aperture ring is how they ALL should feel, and the size is so perfect. That still didn't completely convince me, however.

Trying it with Infra Red was what pushed me over the line. Some lenses are really bad in IR and a few are very good. There does not seem to be a middle ground, and it would seem that Fuji users have more choices than many brands.

The 35 F 2.0 is superb in IR and so is the 23 F 2.0. I tried both today and could find no hot-spots at ANY aperture with neither. To us IR enthusiasts then, these two new lenses are an extra Christmas this year.

It was a tough choice, but the 35 is a focal length I need more right now that the 23 and so that was that.

I took a walk at a local cemetary here in Raleigh and took a few photos. Here is the first one I processed.

161025-133649Gimp-S by Pavel Derka, on Flickr]Fuji X-2 IR 560nm, Fuji 35 F2.0 @ F8.0[/url]

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 01:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:40 AM
traveler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

I hear ya. I am well tired of this lens being treated like the ugly stepchild compared to the 23. I too chose it over the 23 and not sorry I did. My copy is sharp wide open and yes EVEN in the corners at f5.6. I particularly got it more so for portrait work, and thus far it's doing the job.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:04 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

I've got to test mine out. I walked around an snapped about twenty photos but just got home and looked through them just to judge the IR better than on the screen. I'm going to put it through its paces tomorrow on the Fuji X-Pro 1 - with crossed fingers.

The build quality ... and the fast focus ... now I get what you all were talking about!

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:14 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

and just a few more from today ...

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:47 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Well, I feel like the Cubs do, just now. I normally don't do lens tests unless it's a macro or something feels "off" but a few snapshots from yesterday did feel off. I could have been the way I shot it but the corners on the left seemed oddly smeared at even F5.6 to F11.

So I did the obligatory test of brick wall and concrete and then took the camera onto a tripod when the hand held held bad news. I took some darkroom print rejects (that we use to cut masks) that were identical and had good detail and sharpness and put a pair in the middle and near the top right corner so the center was near the edge. Horrible.

So I'm talking to the shop Fuji expert (who really knows his Fuji stuff and has the same lens) when he gets back from lunch. Probaly have to exchange or return it. I LOVE dealing with my local shop. It's really worth it.

So like the Cubs, I'm a bit down but really optimistic, for the next inning.

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:03 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Pavel wrote:
Well, I feel like the Cubs do, just now. I normally don't do lens tests unless it's a macro or something feels "off" but a few snapshots from yesterday did feel off. I could have been the way I shot it but the corners on the left seemed oddly smeared at even F5.6 to F11.

So I did the obligatory test of brick wall and concrete and then took the camera onto a tripod when the hand held held bad news. I took some darkroom print rejects (that we use to cut masks) that were identical and had good detail and
...Show more
This is the only issue with an otherwise great lens that the extreme corners never get sharp even when stopped down. It is just the way it is

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:27 PM
RSSmith
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

It does corners well enough ...

20160620 003b by Ron Smith, on Flickr

20160924 075b by Ron Smith, on Flickr

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:49 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Well that is the thing. If it is just the way it is ... I can live with it and just consider it a 60 or so. On my copy the top left corner is notably worse than the corners of the right side but it is just the extreme.

Can anyone tell me if your's is about like this?

F 8.0 Corner and center (of two same wet prints which are nice and sharp all over)

F 11 cement center and corner:

What's the thinking here on this lens, and my copy of it?
Have I got a Canon lens??

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:15 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Ronald, that second shot is superb. Is that from the full sensor output or is it a bit of a crop? We could swap lenses - you'd be my best friend for a whole week!

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Great shots !!! I would read the Reid review, frustrating as the site is, he did make similar conclusions and his thoughts were mainly due to the distortion which is then corrected in camera. I personally did not see this with my copy when I tested it, but I decided to keep the 35/1.4 for the rendering with portraits.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:56 PM
RSSmith
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Pavel wrote:
Ronald, that second shot is superb. Is that from the full sensor output or is it a bit of a crop? We could swap lenses - you'd be my best friend for a whole week!

Thanks Pavel! That is a full, uncropped, image.

Come up to Detroit and buy me a beer. I'll let you use it anytime.

Ron

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:41 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Just a thought - any other lens doing the same? Maybe sensor needs cleaning - I had a similar experience like this once - end results was my sensor, not the lens.

Not even worth 2 cents!!

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:11 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Hrm, looks like a misaligned element. 35/2 gets fairly good in the corners IMO -- I'll have to double-check now.

Here we go, I thought I'd done a 35/2 wall test

at f/8.0 I think

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith/29587389035/sizes/o/

at f/2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith/28962025824/sizes/o/

These were on an XT10, tripod, MF I think.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:36 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Hmmm. cputeq, looking at the wall photo @ F8, I'd say your copy is a bit better but still shows the same smeared extreme corner, esp in the top left side (just like mine)
I've seen a lot of lenses with soft corners or strong field curvature but they all looked different in that the corners would go soft progressively. I've never seen something like this where it looks good and then just a small dab at the extreme corner dabbed soft. Like the imaging circle is pushing it's luck?

My conclusion then is that it is nothing to worry about. If the store has another then I'll take a few s hots then and there and bring my laptop and choose the new one if it is distinctly better, but for now I'm going to call this experiment of mine "pixel peeping" insecurity. The lens doesn't serve me coffee each morning neither, but they did warn - we can't have it all! I wonder if I had these sort of lens expectations in the film day? I think not.

When someone ask, I'm going to tell them that this new tini thing is a Fuji 35 F 2.0, which is a real word 58mm equivalent. That will work for me.

Thanks all.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:06 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

Pavel wrote:
Hmmm. cputeq, looking at the wall photo @ F8, I'd say your copy is a bit better but still shows the same smeared extreme corner, esp in the top left side (just like mine)
I've seen a lot of lenses with soft corners or strong field curvature but they all looked different in that the corners would go soft progressively. I've never seen something like this where it looks good and then just a small dab at the extreme corner dabbed soft. Like the imaging circle is pushing it's luck?

My conclusion then is that it is nothing to worry about. If
...Show more

Yeah I'm getting smearing, but that's the *extreme* corner and I'm not worried about it because I don't find it objectionable anyway, and I rarely care about that part of my image (regardless what type of image it is). Probably just down to the lens design - small lens and fast, but doesn't get corner-to-corner sharp.

It was hard to tell on your samples how much of your edge was smearing (since 'corner' means different things for different people) -- but if you're only smearing as much as my samples, then I'd call that 'normal'.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

I had the 35mm f/2 for a short time, along with the 35mm f/1.4 that I've had for about four years. I liked the f/2 lens quite a bit for its small size and fast AF performance, and the image quality was mostly quite good — though I also felt that it was a bit less sharp in the far corners.

That said, the second large example above, assuming that there isn't a focusing issue, seems to be far too soft and much worse than what I saw.

In the end I kept the f/1.4 lens, mainly because I often use it to do handheld night street photography, and the additional stop can come in handy.

Dan

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:00 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thet 35 F2.0 because ...

It is only in the extreme corners that this lens falls apart and unless you shoot landscape or architecture where you need total sharpness right into the corners when stopped down it really isn't an issue. I prefer the 1.4 optically but keep the f2 version for when I need a totally silent lens and weather-sealing

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password