Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

ZachOly wrote:
Pretty straightforward question. For weddings, is the 5D4 better than a D810 (ignoring lenses, flashes, etc.).

You can also buy a D750 and put the savings into glass. Are you using Olympus MFT now? What is your budget?

EBH

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:32 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

Quick answer, imo yes, the D810 AF isnt anywhere near as reliable, everyone I know who shoots with it says so.

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:22 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

1. This question should be over in the wedding forum.

2. You will receive input form shooter who don't shoot weddings. Theoretical answers.... love these. Like in theory... the camera will do this while shooting a wedding. So you are in front of the client, you have OCF setup to capture a small event.... it is after the sun went down, you have to set everything up and have it work... quickly.... can you dial-in an ambient, is the AF going to lock on?
In theory this should work just great... but in front of client after a long day of shooting.....

3. You have a wide variety of shooters who shoot different kinds of weddings.
- as a fellow shooter posted earlier,the 5Dmkiii will get you there because weddings don't push the limits of the camera.

This is just their opinion but lets just say my experience says otherwise.
From shooting in mid day sun to dark cavernous churches to large Indian weddings (lets say 1000+ guest).. you want everything a camera sensor and a camera system can give you.

4. rob, in previous post mentions AF performance.... this is something you have to test drive.
I can tell you the 5DmkIV has been fantastic in the AF department for me... 4 weddings in.

5. Only you can decide what is a better camera for the way you shoot(how the camera feels in hand to operate, functionality during crazy times in weddings-ability to adjust camera), post process which leads into a look you deliver to your client.

6. I can't tell you which one is better.... I drive canon. I have no experience with Nikon other than the files an 810 delivers when I edit for other shooters.
I can say they are both on pretty much a level playing field. I would give an edge to the 810 for latitude. but not by too much
It would come down to personal preference on how the files look and how you edit.

-Mark

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:49 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

RobDickinson wrote:
Quick answer, imo yes, the D810 AF isnt anywhere near as reliable, everyone I know who shoots with it says so.

Odd that they could definitively conclude this that considering the 5DIV has been out for less than two months and the number of people have have likely shot both is very small. I happen to be one of those people btw and found both cameras to be exceptionally accurate and precise, at least for the still subjects I've tested them both on. I have no idea about tracking performance but that isn't a big use case for wedding photography.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

wallstreetonei wrote:
Let's look at what wedding photographers actually use

1)24-70(Nikon has a VR version, likely better, but you are almost never going to shoot a very slow SS in a wedding so irrelevant - therefore tie

It is not a tie, cause the Nikon VR version is much more expensive, not better optically.
Ofc if you "need" VR, there is no Canon equivalent. It also has a very flat field, with edges almost as good as the center. It just never reaches 24-70 II levels of sharpness.

The 24-70 II is sharper, and if your workflow eliminates slow SS, I cannot see how you reach your "tied" conclusion.

wallstreetonei wrote2) 70-200 - the whole focus creep issue is real but way over rated as it creeps to about 135mm at min focus distance and is still 200mm that so basically irrelevant - therefore tie

Here you really through me off...
The Nikkor gives you 135~150mm FOV at close distances, the Canon 70-200 II is actually measured a tad longer at ~210-220mm FOV at close distances. Both are 200mm @ infinity, but how is the close distance breathing not an issue & irrelevant to a wedding/portrait shooter who 99% of the time will be shooting them closer to the MFD?

As far as absolute IQ goes, sure, the VR II is a great lens and it could be effectively a "tie", but the focus breathing thing is a deal-breaker for the workflow for many. Really noticeable difference.

Again, I don't mean to flame/troll you, so don't take it personally that I've quoted you.
I just don't get the logic, at least on the 70-200 side of things. It is simply not a wash.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:07 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

ZachOly wrote:
Well assume someone doesn't own any gear....

x2 5D4s

vs.

x2 D810s (and an extra $2k in pocket)

Well, if you price out Nikon's newer 24-70 and 70-200 zooms, the Canon kit starts to look like a bargain.

And you will need at least three Nikon bodies, because (speaking from experience) you will always have at least one of them in for repair or recall service at any given time...

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

To be fair, the lenses I'm looking at on the Nikon side are the 20 1.8, 58 1.4 and 105 1.4

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

snapsy wrote:
Odd that they could definitively conclude this that considering the 5DIV has been out for less than two months and the number of people have have likely shot both is very small. I happen to be one of those people btw and found both cameras to be exceptionally accurate and precise, at least for the still subjects I've tested them both on. I have no idea about tracking performance but that isn't a big use case for wedding photography.

Probably 30% of my shots at a wedding are ai servo. I'd say that's a fairly big use case. Others use ai servo the whole day.

Your style might not require it but many will.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:32 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

Id take the canon but I'd happily shoot with Nikon too. Every generation I take a serious look over the fence. D810 low light af was rated worse and high ISO is worse. D750 is a bit of a toy and 1/4000th? I couldn't live with that as I shoot wide on bright days.

I also loooooove some of the recent canon button options, such as being able to have one back button for one shot and one for ai servo. No idea if Nikon has this but I love it.

However my major enjoyment with canon is honestly the lenses..

Imho the 5d4 is the single best wedding camera today. But it's too expensive. And the d820? Who knows. It'll probably be fantastic too.

Realistic both cameras are 8 or 9 out of 10 though so I doubt you'll go wrong with either.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Probably 30% of my shots at a wedding are ai servo. I'd say that's a fairly big use case. Others use ai servo the whole day.

Your style might not require it but many will.

I use AI servo myself but that's independent of whether I'm tracking movement. Prior to the 5DM3, many Canon bodies had a performance disparity between one-shot and servo for non-moving subjects - Nikon never had that. Canon corrected it starting with the 5DM3.

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:49 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

RobDickinson wrote:

Btw are you sure their opinions were about the D810 and not the D800/E? The D800/E had a good AF system that was very precise but suffered from severe precision issues in non-full spectrum lighting and also for certain color subjects, including precision problems when using a red AF assist beam from Nikon Speedlights. These issues were corrected on the D750 and D810.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:13 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

Yep I'm sure its the D810. I know dozens of people with it and I would trust the 5d3 AF over the D810 let alone the 5d4.

5d3 downside is the poorer dynamic range though.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:49 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

dtolios wrote:
It is not a tie, cause the Nikon VR version is much more expensive, not better optically.
Ofc if you "need" VR, there is no Canon equivalent. It also has a very flat field, with edges almost as good as the center. It just never reaches 24-70 II levels of sharpness.

The 24-70 II is sharper, and if your workflow eliminates slow SS, I cannot see how you reach your "tied" conclusion.

Here you really through me off...
The Nikkor gives you 135~150mm FOV at close distances, the Canon 70-200 II is actually measured a tad longer at ~210-220mm FOV at close distances.
...Show more

As an actually wedding pro, and Canon shooter, I stand by everything I wrote from experience. Wedding people, not portrait people, use the 70-200 for reach - ie they are mostly NOT using it at MFD - so that issue is irrelevant for those types if shots. When it is used for portriats, for framing cropping issues, my own experience is that 135 is a very common chosen FL. Moreover, most 2 Camera 2 zoom shooters shoot 70% with the 24-70 and 30% with the 70-200 - and switch to the 70-200 at 70mm because it is sharper and has IS - another huge plus for the Nikon 24-70 with IS.

Moreover, there are lots of 35/85 wedding shooters that produce phenomenal results with the 85 so again the 200 is about reach when you need reach and MFD doesn't matter.

If you are just a portrait head shot person then yes the Canon version is superior.

And personally, I moved from using 2 5D3s to using a 1DXii with a 24-70 and a 5DSR a Tamron 85

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:04 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

wallstreetonei wrote:
Moreover, most 2 Camera 2 zoom shooters shoot 70% with the 24-70 and 30% with the 70-200 - and switch to the 70-200 at 70mm because it is sharper and has IS - another huge plus for the Nikon 24-70 with IS.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I am however saying that this is likely to be an internet stat ie. just made up. I can't believe there is ANY reliable international source of this kind of data within the industry.

However, all that said, how one shoots weddings and how another shoots weddings is likely to be completely different, so any "overall stats" are largely irrelevant.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:17 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

RobDickinson wrote:
Yep I'm sure its the D810. I know dozens of people with it and I would trust the 5d3 AF over the D810 let alone the 5d4.

5d3 downside is the poorer dynamic range though.

My old D700 outperformed a 5d3 in low light, so I have no idea what people you are talking to about AF performance of a d810 vs a 5d3. I had to convert all of my fellow associate photographers to Nikon because their 5d2's and 5d3's couldn't keep up focus wise.

Absolute hogwash.

Edited on Oct 27, 2016 at 08:04 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:58 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

D810 AF is quite good
it's not a sports body, but for a wedding, it's perfectly fine.

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:02 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

Of all of the questions we have to answer regarding our photography, "Canon or Nikon?" must be just about the very least important.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:22 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

JHerr wrote:
My old D700 outperformed a 5d3 in low light, so I have no idea what people you are talking to about AF performance of a d810 vs a 5d3. I had to convert all of my fellow associate photographers to Nikon because their 5d2's and 5d3's couldn't keep up focus wise.

Absolute hogwash.

5d2, yes. 5d3, rubbish.

This is a camera I've shot 200k frames on, mostly at f1.6 to f2.8 in dark and challenging with partly static or moving subjects. Very very few problems. It was fairly rock solid.

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:31 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

gdanmitchell wrote:
Of all of the questions we have to answer regarding our photography, "Canon or Nikon?" must be just about the very least important.

But a good one if you are just trolling.

Oct 28, 2016 at 08:45 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is the 5D4 a better wedding camera than a D810?

If you base your photography on Flashes, go Nikon. If you like to take pictures without lighting, 5dIV seems a better high ISO performer and preserves color a bit better.

DO you have any fetiche focal length? Check the lens selection and think if you have a preference there.

Other than that..ergonomics, AF system... it is a personal choice. Simply go with what you feel better with.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:36 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.