New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

coffeeshakes
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

I'm considering a fuji kit for travel and people photography, mostly natural light, perhaps some light landscape work on a tripod. The x70 was really great for me on an earlier trip, and I'm thinking of expanding it.

My preference is for an optical viewfinder, but its not a particularly strong one, as I've seen the x-t1 evf and it was pretty darn good. My preference is also for the rangefinder styling of the x-pro, but again its not a strong one, as I like the dial layout slightly more on the x-t2. The tilt lcd would obviously also be nice for anytime I put it on a tripod.

What I've come down to, is how suitable is the OVF for the lenses I would use with this camera. The kit I am thinking is 16/1.4, the 35/2, and 56/1.2. I'm sure the 35 will be great, but is the wide feasible with OVF (I don't wear glasses)? And are the frame lines reasonable for accuracy with the 56?

Thanks for thoughts on this

Oct 25, 2016 at 06:16 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Those will all work with the OVF, but I think you'll get some intrusion into the image area with the 16mm and 56mm — perhaps someone will confirm?

I have the XPro2, which I like a lot... but I feel that most photographers will likely prefer the EVF option.

Dan

Oct 25, 2016 at 07:04 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Given that you like the rangefinder style AND you like the option of an OVF, but aren't opposed to the EVF, seems like the Xpro2 is perfect for you.

Oct 25, 2016 at 07:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

...or the hopefully soon-to-be-announced X-E3.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:05 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

jcolwell wrote:
...or the hopefully soon-to-be-announced X-E3.

Hmm, perhaps I should be patient. I really just want a nice, reasonably small, excellent handling camera with a 50mm equivalent lens. The wide and tele I would just get because I can. Maybe the hopefully soon-to-be-announced x100F will have a fifty for 'F'.

I know, keep dreaming.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

coffeeshakes wrote:
Maybe the hopefully soon-to-be-announced x100F will have a fifty for 'F'.

It bet serious money that won't happen — it is far more likely to be similar to the previous models with their 35mm-equivalent focal lengths.

Dan

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:23 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

I would strongly suggest to go to a store and try and them both out. I had the XPro 2 before coming from Leica M9/M240 and I love the RF style, but the XT2 is just another small level in refinements in the EVF, AF response and small things like the ISO dial, and the body slightly smaller. Both are great

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

XT2 has the super useful tilt out LCD, and a much larger EVF (one of the nicest I've used on any camera)

Xpro2 has looks (subjective of course), and OVF (If you like that sort of thing, I used the evf 99% of the time) and what I would consider a better control layout overall (again subjective)

Its not that the XT2 handles bad or anything, it just doesn't feel as good in my hand. Things like the AF 'joystick' are in a perfect spot for one hand shooting on the XPro2, but the stick is a bit lower on the XT2 and I need to change my grip to use it.

Basically for me the perfect camera would be the XPro2 layout, with the addition of the XT2 tilt out LCD and EVF. They could just go ahead and ditch the OVF option as far as I care, and I'm in the minority perhaps, but I don't mind the SS/ISO combination dial.

I don't think either camera is going to check each and every box for anyone, so just need to pick the one that has the most features important to you. Can't really go wrong either way as both are great.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Real men eschew the dilettante's tilting screen. Rear men bow down and get on their knees in pursuit of their Fuji worship. The reward is the higher megapixel rear screen which "shows the way" with unparalleled clarity.

On the other hand, I get sore knees.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:46 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Pavel wrote:
Real men eschew the dilettante's tilting screen. Rear men bow down and get on their knees in pursuit of their Fuji worship. The reward is the higher megapixel rear screen which "shows the way" with unparalleled clarity.

Made me chuckle. I guess I'm not a real man because I'm waiting for the X-T2 to get in stock so I can buy one. I had the X-Pro2, and there was a lot to love about it, but I know I will prefer the EVF and tilting LCD.

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Viramati
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

DougVaughn wrote:
Made me chuckle. I guess I'm not a real man because I'm waiting for the X-T2 to get in stock so I can buy one. I had the X-Pro2, and there was a lot to love about it, but I know I will prefer the EVF and tilting LCD.

Well I may have once been a 'real man' but now I'm getting to be an 'older man' so tilting screen is good!! Anyway I just got hold of the XT2 for the very reason of wanting the tilting screen (love the way it can tilt in portrait mode) and find my reactions to this camera interesting. Compared to the X-Pro 2 it really seems quite toy like and just doesn't have the same solid feel and really form a aesthetic/feel point of view I prefer the XP but on the other hand I think the XT2 is probably just more of an allrounder so as much as I will probably never bond with it in the way I do the XP over time the XP will go to a new home. I really can't afford or don't need to fuji's as Sony is my main sytem

Oct 30, 2016 at 08:34 AM
sfogg

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Pavel wrote:

Or you could just use Wifi and the remote screen function... save your knees.

Shawn

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:30 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

sfogg wrote:

Shawn

Yes, but WIFI stresses on your patience.

Oct 30, 2016 at 03:14 PM
tobycat2
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

coffeeshakes wrote:
Hmm, perhaps I should be patient. I really just want a nice, reasonably small, excellent handling camera with a 50mm equivalent lens. The wide and tele I would just get because I can. Maybe the hopefully soon-to-be-announced x100F will have a fifty for 'F'.

I know, keep dreaming.

The x100 series has the TCL which turns that 35 f2 lens into a 50 f2 lens (equivalent). Then you'll have a 35 and 50mm set up.

Oct 30, 2016 at 03:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

charles.K wrote:
I would strongly suggest to go to a store and try and them both out. I had the XPro 2 before coming from Leica M9/M240 and I love the RF style, but the XT2 is just another small level in refinements in the EVF, AF response and small things like the ISO dial, and the body slightly smaller. Both are great

Yes. And no.

Most photographers who are familiar with the operation of DSLR-style cameras will automatically find the XT2 to be more comfortable during a brief camera store trail — holding it and "photographing" those boxes on the shelf in back of the salesperson.

Adapting to the XPro2 is a bigger task, and one that you probably cannot evaluate that quickly.

Dan

Oct 30, 2016 at 04:58 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

sfogg wrote:

Shawn

unfortunately I find fuji's wifi phone app to be very slow, unresponsive and basic. Surprisingly Leica's app for the Q is streets ahead in terms os speed and functionality.

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:24 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

I don't really see how the XT2 could be viewed as "toyish" or not solidly built. I actually just picked up another Xpro2 (some good deals to be had used) and honestly, the XT2 while slightly smaller overall, feels even more dense and solid. The Xpro2 feels a little light/hollow for its size, at last compared to something similar sized I'm used to like a Leica M body. Its certainly well built, but I think the XT2 feels even more well made.....

I will say the Xpro2 grip its far, far more comfortable in my hand. When I hold the XT2, which isn't bad, the first joint of my index finger hits right when the right hand strap eyelet goes, and the front grip tends to hit a pressure point under my middle finger.

The XPro2 falls perfectly in hand with the strap eyelet well away from either finger, and I like how the ridged thumb rest area is inward a bit further. Thumb sits about half an inch from the right edge, while the XT2 molded thumb rest is right against the edge of the camera and a little less than ideal for me.

The other 2 aspects that work better for me is the EV Comp dial and the joystick. On the XPro2, I can turn the EV dial with my thumb, without changing grip. On the XT2, I can't use my thumb since its pushed back from the edge of the top deck and I basically need to use my thumb/index finger to turn it.

The joystick also works better on the Xpro2 since its higher and to the left of the thumb grip. I can move it around one hand. On the XT2 I need to change grip to reach down further so I need to use my left hand on the camera.

Basically I can shoot the XPro2 with one hand, the XT2 I need to often use two.

The XT2 does have the bigger EVF of course. The XPro is smaller, but not too bad, I think its like what, 0.62x vs 0.72x mag ? The resolution is the same though, so while the bigger XT2 evf is nicer due to size, its not really sharper or anything. To some degree the XPro2 EVF is maybe a little easier to see, as its smaller. The XT2 EVF is so large that I have to move my eye around a little. I could see this as more of an issue for eyeglass wearers.

The main thing I miss on the Xpro2 is the tilting LCD though. Makes it so much easier to do low angle shooting. Very useful feature.

Overall though, I think I enjoy the XPro2 more, but the XT2 is a bit more versatile for getting the job done. Low angle shots, 4k video, etc etc

I like carrying the XPro2 more, it looks cool, it feels great in my hand, and the controls are well laid out. Works well in most situations but there are times where I wish I had the XT2 with me instead such as a low angle landscape shot that is hard to compose without a tilt screen.

Both are very good, and I like having the option for certain needs. I think with a lens like the 10-24 I'd reach for the XT2, but for something like the 23/1.4 I think it will be mounted on the Xpro2 9 times out of 10

XT2 strap eyelet

XT2 strap eyelet

XPRO 2 eyelet

XPro 2 eyelet clears finger

Edited on Oct 30, 2016 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:39 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

millsart wrote:
I don't really see how the XT2 could be viewed as "toyish" or not solidly built. I actually just picked up another Xpro2 (some good deals to be had used) and honestly, the XT2 while slightly smaller overall, feels even more dense and solid. The Xpro2 feels a little light/hollow for its size, at last compared to something similar sized I'm used to like a Leica M body. Its certainly well built, but I think the XT2 feels even more well made.....

I will say the Xpro2 grip its far, far more comfortable in my hand. When I hold the XT2,
...Show more
Basically why I said it feels a little 'toy like' is for many of the reasons that you give for preferring the ergonomics of the X-Pro 2 which has better placing and a larger size to the controls and on the XT2 everything is just smaller and a little 'toy like'. Basically I agree with all you say and for me too the main advantage of the XT2 is the tilting screen. Also just testing the 2 side by side in low light the XT2's EVF behaves a lot better even when 'boost' mode is off

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:20 PM
shinyobject

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

To answer your question about the 56/1.2 and the OVF: it works just fine. The lens is visible in the finder but from memory does not significantly protrude into the framelines in most situations. I was using it yesterday but with the EVF, and can't remember if it sometimes overlaps the framelines a little? It's fine in any case. The 35/2 is fine as well (and has gorgeous rendering). The 16/1.4 I did try once in the shop but can't recall. I expect you would be able to use it with the OVF but you would not have workable framelines because of the wide field of view, and you would have the bottom right corner obscured by the lens.

The one thing that has me considering getting an X-T2 is that ISO dial. Looks so much more convenient than what the X-Pro2 has. I never use exposure compensation so I wish that that dial on the X-Pro2 was an ISO dial - guess that's beside the point, though.

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:30 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-Pro vs X-T2 for small prime kit

Here you can see the differences in position of the thumb joystick. On the Xpro2, you can just slide your thumb slightly to the left and move the focus point around, with the joystick falling right under the pad of your thumb.

On the XT2, the joystick is a bit lower, so at least for my hand size, it means I need to change my whole grip on the camera in order to position my hand so that my thumb falls a half inch lower, or awkwardly try to bend my thumb 90 degrees so that I use the tip of my thumb on the joystick.

Basically the difference really comes down to that I can't securely hold the camera in one hand while moving the joystick around on the XT2, but on the XPro2, I can keep a secure one hand grip on the camera while moving the AF point around.

I'll often be carrying something else, holding the dogs leash, etc, so I actually do value being able to shoot and adjust a camera using only one hand.

Lastly, sorry for the upside down images. They appear correctly on my PC screen, but were likely taken with my iPhone held upside down and the FM image upload seems to want to preserve that for some reason.

XPRO2 joystick

XT2 joystick

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password