ISO 1000
Vanguard monopod

Jimmy

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:50 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

May I ask... why are you shooting at f/4.0 and at ISO 1000? This is about 2 stops underexposed.

Oct 25, 2016 at 04:34 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

Hey Jimmy,

Good action shots. Looks like you are shoot a night game. When I shoot at night I shoot in manual mode so I have control over shutter speed, f/stop and exposure. Like Paul is saying these are way underexposed.

I also suggest a tighter crop.

Keep posting!

Grant

Oct 25, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

SS way too low here for football as well. Good start but lots of room for improvement here. For night games run that lens wide open, you might be able to get decent results with a 1/640 shutter speed but I like 1/800, you results might vary. Bump ISO until it's exposed correctly.

Oct 25, 2016 at 08:26 PM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

Man you guys are a tough crowd. Thanks for the constructive feed back, I will try the advice.

Jimmy

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:46 PM
farwest

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

The advice is spot on. I've learned a lot from shooters on this forum they try their best to help everyone out.

Whitt

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:49 AM
dennisgolfer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

I'll agree with Whitt, the advice is spot on. The best thing you can do is not take it personally and use it to learn from. Your images are a great start, but there is lots of room for improvement. Night FB in a HS stadium is always tough. With your D800e you should be able to shoot at 6400 iso which will allow you a much faster shutter speed. I would suggest 6400 iso, use your f/2.8, and then crank the shutter speed as high as you can while maintaining exposure.

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimW56
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

dennisgolfer wrote:
I'll agree with Whitt, the advice is spot on. The best thing you can do is not take it personally and use it to learn from. Your images are a great start, but there is lots of room for improvement. Night FB in a HS stadium is always tough. With your D800e you should be able to shoot at 6400 iso which will allow you a much faster shutter speed. I would suggest 6400 iso, use your f/2.8, and then crank the shutter speed as high as you can while maintaining exposure.

thanks dennis, by no means did i take the feedback personally, i was trying to make a funny. if they were not honest with their feedback then i would not learn and be able to advance.

Jimmy

Oct 26, 2016 at 05:42 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

Jimmy,

While I do use another brand, I've found staying in manual at 1/800 & f2.8 with autoISO to be a workable solution. Assuming for the moment your 800e's high ISO capability is similar to my 1DX. BTW: I limit the upper ISO to 25,600 in the settings. It does require some very quick NR touch ups in LR but you rapidly learn how far adjust the NR based upon ISO level used. The key is to get a good exposure and not underexpose prior to editing. In my particular case adding exposure compensation of +1/3 to the settings has proven to be a very workable solution in maintaining good exposure results.

JMTC

Matt

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM
WillWeaverRVA

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

Every football player has their "C'Mon Man!" moments every so often. Photographers too, apparently.

Just kidding. Exposure issues aside, the shots are pretty good.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57 PM
bill s
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

I shoot FBS football. Night games are tricky.

That said, the advice given is good.

I'll even shoot 2.8 during day to blow out the background. Gives high shutter speed which yields super sharp images.

I like to shoot a lot tighter as well. And usually sacrifice ISO for shutter speed.
YMMV.

Nice shooting!

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:01 AM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

WillWeaverRVA wrote:
Every football player has their "C'Mon Man!" moments every so often. Photographers too, apparently.

Just kidding. Exposure issues aside, the shots are pretty good.

Thank you Will.

Jimmy

Nov 05, 2016 at 03:16 PM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

bill s wrote:
I shoot FBS football. Night games are tricky.

That said, the advice given is good.

I'll even shoot 2.8 during day to blow out the background. Gives high shutter speed which yields super sharp images.

I like to shoot a lot tighter as well. And usually sacrifice ISO for shutter speed.
YMMV.

Nice shooting!

thanks for looking bill.

Jimmy

Nov 05, 2016 at 03:17 PM
mikephotos23

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Hand-off and.......... The oops

Is VR on? 1/160, as mentioned above by Vcook, is a bit slow to get consistently sharp images I would venture? I try to not to dip below 1/1250 or faster, at least until my technique improves and that's shooting day games.

This is my first season shooting HS FB, I appreciate all the advice and tips posted above, thanks for taking the beating Jimmy (joking, of course).

Mike

Nov 07, 2016 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password