Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

endy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

I really love photography and have a talent for it people and clients appreciate. The problem is got a chronic illness as of the last 2.5 years and am left with some symptoms that have no cure and limit my activity. I had started school full time right on the onset and was going to go on to gradschool and teach and be an artist/commercial photographer but am now unable to continue that plan. My degree is basically Art with a Photography Concentration. I have been lucky (but also worked really hard) and got a large commission freelance project immediately the last week of school that has led to more work and kept me busy. My problem is my health... I have to turn down work and cant continue to do the kind I am now which is landscape/architecture/structural related.

My limitations
1) No long hours or super early drives to locations. People interacting work - portraits, events, and weddings for example are not my thing but also too demanding on my health.
2) Photoophobia/light sensitivity - I can not work or even drive much outside in bright/harsh sunlight or nightime. Besides that fact that it triggers other worse symptoms this is a safety issue for myself and others at this point.
3) I cant predict how I will feel the next day so working independently when my health is up to it is best.
4) I have to avoid stress, loud noises, busy/frantic situations.
5) Working off a tripod is ideal - I cant physically hold a pro camera up for long.

Some ideas I have but looking for more!
1) PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPHER - I already sell on ebay often and know I enjoy this. I am good with lighting, own nice kit too, but the retouching is hard for me with tendonitis and joint problems. The highend client work is appealing but also more demanding so maybe I would need to do more of the stock photo for Amazon type work.

2) STOCK PHOTOGRAPHER - dont know if this is sustainable these days?

3) LANDSCAPE/ARCHITECTURE - license images for organizations related to tourism, local companies on their website, etc. This is kind of same situation I do now and the early and late location work, driving in traffic, and walking is too much.

4) TEACH PRIVATE STUDENTS/GROUPS - Just thought of this. Seems like everyone these days does photo workshops/tours so what do I have to offer? I like teaching though always imagined in a more intellectual artistic driven environment. I could easily promote some or my work and try to build a business. The hard part for me is avoiding things like long hiking and walking around cities.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

I don't have a professional recommendation for you but I can sympathize with your condition. I also suffer from a chronic condition that can be very limiting physically. Initially just the stress of dealing with and trying to keep providing for my kids and keep my house and home was overwhelming and doctors and medications where not providing any relief. In the end I decided I was not going to let the affliction define me and set out to keep living my life to the fullest.

Day one .. I could not walk around the block and needed help getting home. Now, Im in my mid 50s, take no medication but follow a very strict diet, exercise plan and make sure I get enough sleep. I cut out caffeine, sugar, gluton and eat wholesome/ unprocessed foods as much as possible. I can honestly say am in the best shape of my life and can do much more than I could in my twenties.

I don't know if this all applies but, learn what triggers or makes you condition worse and avoid. Likewise what helps alleviate them. There will be a lot of bad day but remember they all wont be. Relish the so-so days and devour the good ones. In time you will have more of them.

I wish you luck in your career and hope you can find ways to improve your situation.

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:14 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

What is the health condition that you are suffering from?

Nov 11, 2016 at 09:29 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

savingspaces wrote:
What is the health condition that you are suffering from?

He outlined his functional requirements. That is all that matters.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:29 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

DanBrown wrote:
He outlined his functional requirements. That is all that matters.

Not if you want to help someone. And I'm not sure what gave you the idea to speak for the OP. I asked HIM. If he doesn't want to tell me that is ok.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:30 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

savingspaces wrote:
Not if you want to help someone. And I'm not sure what gave you the idea to speak for the OP. I asked HIM. If he doesn't want to tell me that is ok.

If you don't want someone to comment on your post, it would have been more appropriate to PM the OP with your question. Posting it in an open forum invites comments de facto.

Nov 12, 2016 at 03:15 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

DanBrown wrote:
If you don't want someone to comment on your post, it would have been more appropriate to PM the OP with your question. Posting it in an open forum invites comments de facto.

Your comment was uncalled for. Why even get envolved? You are not making any sense. Now you are messing it up for the OP. Thanks a lot buddy!!!!!

Nov 12, 2016 at 04:10 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

savingspaces wrote:
Your comment was uncalled for. Why even get envolved? You are not making any sense. Now you are messing it up for the OP. Thanks a lot buddy!!!!!

I don't know why I have such a hard time taking this advice:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

Nov 12, 2016 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

savingspaces wrote:
Not if you want to help someone.

Dan's right. The OP obviously went to great lengths to avoid naming the condition publicly. But I also understand your desire to help and knowing the exact problem could be useful. I suggest PMing the OP - and as you say, if he doesn't want to share in private, that's okay too.

Nov 12, 2016 at 02:36 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

DanBrown wrote:
I don't know why I have such a hard time taking this advice:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

I am going to listen to George Carlin. Why argue with an idiot.

Nov 12, 2016 at 07:06 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

Well, OP has done a helluva good job at getting folks to give him recommendations as well as arguing amongst each other, all the while apparently having disappeared.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

endy wrote:
I really love photography and have a talent for it people and clients appreciate. The problem is got a chronic illness as of the last 2.5 years and am left with some symptoms that have no cure and limit my activity. I had started school full time right on the onset and was going to go on to gradschool and teach and be an artist/commercial photographer but am now unable to continue that plan. My degree is basically Art with a Photography Concentration. I have been lucky (but also worked really hard) and got a large commission freelance project immediately
...Show more

I hate to say it, but definitely you need to look at the long term and whether the condition will stabilize with slow decline or be a bad roller coaster ride. Most likely you will be better off working alone or in a small group. I had to change careers many years ago and was in denial for a while. I've been behind a desk for over 20 years now and am only occasionally in the field.

EBH

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM
endy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

steve_a_reno wrote:
I don't have a professional recommendation for you but I can sympathize with your condition. I also suffer from a chronic condition that can be very limiting physically. Initially just the stress of dealing with and trying to keep providing for my kids and keep my house and home was overwhelming and doctors and medications where not providing any relief. In the end I decided I was not going to let the affliction define me and set out to keep living my life to the fullest.

Day one .. I could not walk around the block and needed help getting
...Show more

Thanks for the sharing your story. I just saw people started responding after posting my topic awhile ago.

I can relate to your suggestions and in my case that if often all you can do. I have adopted the same mindset as you and try to not let this define me. One of the hardest things for me is I was already a serious health food freak and extremely active outdoor sport athlete so when I got sick there was not that much to do I already wasn't doing. Now, I am even more super strict about my diet because I am so sensitive to triggers and I too gave up on medications which only made things worse or temporarily alleviated some symptoms at the expense of worsening others. I think one of the reasons I am so functional still is because of my diet and desire to be fit and healthy but there are many things it makes no difference towards and our out of my control. On my good days I can again do some of my past hobbies 'normal' people would think are impressive but on my worse I am almost functionally disabled.

Edited on Nov 14, 2016 at 01:58 AM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2016 at 01:35 AM
endy

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

As for my overall health there is a lot of unknowns and uncertainty and that includes the understanding of my illness from the medical community also. There is a possibility I will make a full recovery at some point but have been warned it often just gets worse as you get older and relapses are possible at anytime if I stress my body too much. I have good days/weeks/even months but then go through crash and flair up cycles. I would be happy to talk details via a PM about my exact health issues I but would prefer not lay it all out to a public audience that is not familiar with something this complicated , thanks Dan and others for recognizing this!

Nov 14, 2016 at 01:53 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

endy - You can PM me anytime if you want to discuss further. I may have some more specific suggestions that helped me a great deal.

Nov 14, 2016 at 05:52 PM
MrPeteH

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HEALTH PROBLEMS, Need Ideas For My Career?

I'll second steve_a_reno's suggestions. There are many conditions that the medical community really has far less "handle" on than we would like... and that includes the future prognosis.

In addition to treatment and taking care of myself, I've found that a positive / unstressed perspective can make a huge difference.

One specific example of a role that might fit you well... this from a job my daughter had a number of years ago:

Role: Product / set photography as part of a relatively large boutique graphic design firm

The work is all in-house, no reason for crazy hours etc.

Note: being someone who knows lighting and the finicky details can be a huge help. Even if you can't physically move yourself, an intern can probably do the physical actions needed. And it sounds like on your good days you can show the way! :-D

Nov 26, 2016 at 03:27 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password