New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5D MK IV and 1DX MKII Auto Exposure Bracketing BUG

dingster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MK IV and 1DX MKII Auto Exposure Bracketing BUG

I have discovered what I believe is a bug in AEB on newer models such as 5D MK IV and 1Dx MKII in M mode. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

I set all my Canon cameras so that the main dial(front dial) controls Av and quick dial(rear) controls Tv so I can switch between camera systems easily. This is done on the 5D4 by going to C.Fn3: under custom controls set the front dial to Av and rear dial to Tv.

When the camera is in M mode and when you take a series of photos with Auto Exposure Bracketing, the correct behavior is that the aperture should remain constant and the series of exposures would have different shutter speed based on the AEB setting.

However, if I configure the custom controls so that the front dial(by the shutter) controls aperture in M mode and rear dial controls shutter speed in M mode(opposite of default). The AEB behavior in M mode is exactly the same as if you were in Shutter priority mode. The OPPOSITE of what AEB should behave in M mode. To replicate the issue on the 5D MK IV go to C.Fn3: under custom controls set the front dial to Av and rear dial to Tv. Now try to take a series of exposures with AEB in M mode.

This was not an issue on earlier cameras I have owned(all previous 5d generations, 1ds3, 1dn) and is now incorrectly implemented on the 5D MK IV and 1DX MKII that I own. The custom control settings should NOT affect the behavior of AEB.

Oct 25, 2016 at 04:41 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MK IV and 1DX MKII Auto Exposure Bracketing BUG

It may be explained here, as this guy did a pretty good job explaining how it works on different Canon Bodies. About a little more than half way down the page he shows what happens when you change the dials around.

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/learning/cameras-lenses/guide-to-auto-exposure-bracketing-on-canon-dslrs/

Oct 25, 2016 at 05:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.