New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

xoda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

I really like the RRS brand and use their tripods usually. I’ve trying to find a new travel tripod, especially for my urban photography. And their smallest option (the TQC-14) is a little long (when folded) for me. It’s about 20in.

The Gitzo GT 1555T on the other hand is only 14in long when folded.

I don’t imagine I’ll use any extremely long longs. Maybe a 70-200 f/2.8 once in an extremely long while. Mostly 24-70 and 11-24mm. I use the Canon 5Ds R, so the resolution requirements are quite high though. Is there any advantage to getting the RRS over the Gitzo? Or is my longing for the RRS just sentimentality…?

RSS: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TQC-14-Quick-column-series-1-tripod

Gitzo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175115-REG/gitzo_gt1555t_series_1_traveler.html

Oct 25, 2016 at 01:12 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

the RRS is simply a better design and more robust tripod
- machined aluminum alloy construction vs Mg alloy major component
- modular centerpost. can remove CP and still use w/o it.

Oct 25, 2016 at 05:37 AM
xoda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

Are you sure removing the center post applies to the RRS 1 series as well? My impression was the butterfly twist lock for the center column made removing the column impossible...

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM
K mueller
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

You can indeed remove the center column with the TQC-14.

I've owned both and the RRS is a little larger but I found the quality to be better and prefer RRS for their ingenuity, craftsmanship and costumer service. I guess you could say I'm partial to RRS

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

Personally i would get the series 1 mountaineer. Its not that much bigger but has some great features like the abbility to quickly go columnless. And it has the rrs style ratcheting action on the angle stops.

I would not get the rrs as it is one of their oldest and worse designs. I know ppl that have the rrs and ive held and used it and its not even close to being as nice as the modern gitzo traveler and mountaineer series

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

the 14 was the last out of the gate for the 3 basic tripod types they make. so that makes it their youngest. right now i'm bouncing around Lake Superior using it everyday and I have the TVC24 with me too. it is my favorite to use. i'l stick with the structural integrity of the RRS product.

Oct 26, 2016 at 09:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

killersnowman wrote:
Personally i would get the series 1 mountaineer. Its not that much bigger but has some great features like the abbility to quickly go columnless. And it has the rrs style ratcheting action on the angle stops.

I would not get the rrs as it is one of their oldest and worse designs. I know ppl that have the rrs and ive held and used it and its not even close to being as nice as the modern gitzo traveler and mountaineer series

Did they fix the platform issues on the RRS 1 series?

EBH

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS 1 series vs Gitzo 1555T

what platform issues?

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:58 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.