apostrophes are possessive.

oops...I should know that, I'm married to a writer

Steve

Oct 25, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AH's

The apostrophe is generally used to indicate possession, but it is also used to form the plural of letters referred to as words. In this case the word “assholes” is plural so the abbreviation “AH’s” is correct usage.

Edited on Oct 26, 2016 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2016 at 03:06 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AH's

And this is why I like to hang around here.

Steve, What am I seeing on that far wall on the right? Is that a giant hand painted wall mural?
Pretty impressive if it is. It looks to be a painting of the same intersection and buildings as where you are standing. Got any shots of just that wall?

Dave

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:31 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AH's

lighthound wrote:
And this is why I like to hang around here.

Steve, What am I seeing on that far wall on the right? Is that a giant hand painted wall mural?
Pretty impressive if it is. It looks to be a painting of the same intersection and buildings as where you are standing. Got any shots of just that wall?

Dave

Hey Dave:

Yeah, it's a giant mural on the side of a building, fairly new. I didn't look at it too closely as I was going in a different direction. If I get back that way I"ll photograph it.

Up to anything interesting lately? That animal with the incredible antlers was amazing.

Steve

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:44 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AH's

I have a few shots I think might become wall hangers if I ever get my butt around to processing them. I got a chance last night to fix the waterfall shot and was going to post up my rework but something went wrong with the upload or something. It looks very soft now and I'm not sure what the heck I did to it but I'm not going to post it looking like it does.

Dave

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:50 PM
ChootarLaal

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AH's

Rick Joyce wrote:
The apostrophe is generally used to indicate possession, but it is also used to form the plural of letters referred to as words. In this case the word “assholes” is plural so the abbreviation “AH’s” is correct usage.

I don't get it. Please elaborate.

Oct 29, 2016 at 09:36 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AH's

ChootarLaal wrote:
I don't get it. Please elaborate.

The apostrophe is usually used to form the possessive case of nouns (the man’s hat) or indefinite pronouns and contractions (it’s anybody’s guess).

The apostrophe is also used to form the plural of numerals, letters and words referred to as words (three 7’s, four a’s, six the’s)

Oct 30, 2016 at 05:50 AM
ChootarLaal

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AH's

Rick Joyce wrote:
The apostrophe is usually used to form the possessive case of nouns (the man’s hat) or indefinite pronouns and contractions (it’s anybody’s guess).

The apostrophe is also used to form the plural of numerals, letters and words referred to as words (three 7’s, four a’s, six the’s)

But in the case you mentioned, the usage would be as if:
"There are three s's in the word "assholes".
So here the "s's" usage would be appropriate.

The case where the OP used to abbreviate the original "assholes", which is a pluralized form of a noun "asshole", the correct form would be "AHs", not "AH's", since that would lead us to believe its being used in a possessive manner. The case you are referring to as pluralization of words would be:
"There are three Bill's at my work, and four John's."

So I don't see how "Assholes" becomes "AH's" as I don't see the reference to a multiple form of "asshole", bur rather the abbreviation of "Assholes", which would make more sense as "AHs."
If it's a plural, don't use an apostrophe.

Oct 30, 2016 at 07:14 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AH's

When the original photo was posted it was titled AH’s to abbreviate the plural word “Assholes.” Had the title been A’s it would have made little sense so the “H” was probably added to link that title to the poster.

Since the letter “h” in the word is lower case, the correct abbreviation should be Ah’s - that, at least, is my pedantic interpretation.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.