Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · OT: How do Newspapers get away with using Facebook photos for their stor...

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT: How do Newspapers get away with using Facebook photos for their stories?

I see this all the time but cannot figure out how they can justify it?

See the caption on the photos - they are sourced from FB.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/police-baffled-by-couple-found-dead-next-to-untouched-bags-of-taco-bell-a-pound-of-pot-and-not-much-else

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/a-19-year-old-social-conservative-beat-tory-heavyweights-to-run-as-pc-candidate-in-ontario-by-election

Yes - I am aware that the terms of service basically allows FB to do anything they want to the photos but this is a 3rd party coming in and using the photos for a newspaper story not FB using the photos.

Are they using fair-use to justify it?

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:23 PM
t4haughton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT: How do Newspapers get away with using Facebook photos for their stories?

Essentially yeah. There are many "generally accepted" fair use case scenarios - one of which is news reporting. However, until there's a lawsuit or court case there's no way to know for sure if your use qualifies.

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:18 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT: How do Newspapers get away with using Facebook photos for their stories?

I think they just don't care tbh and it is a case of 'catch me if you can'; if they do they'll just take it down and 90% of people will leave it there. The person that shot it probably won't find out and if they do they are probably a happy snapper with a phone and are just happy it is published.

Who owns what is even more murky with it being from FB so trying to get any charge to stick would be even more difficult than it already is legally. To actually get any realistic compensation you'd also have to prove you were out of pocket by them using it, I believe in the US that number is even limited to a paltry figure unless the picture was registered as copyrighted. Nowhere near worth the fees/risk/hassle to pursue.

tl;dr they don't care because they never really get punished for doing it

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT: How do Newspapers get away with using Facebook photos for their stories?

People assume anything posted to social media is public domain.

Oct 25, 2016 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.