New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Leica M Digital for Toddlers

arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Saw you are already selling it - any plans to try the M8?

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:54 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Wow that was fast. Sgt, try an M 262. I love mine.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:40 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

arduluth wrote:
Saw you are already selling it - any plans to try the M8?

I am not selling it because I want to or because I don't like it. Nothing could be further from the truth. As soon as I picked it up I knew it was the camera for me. The weight and feel are unsurpassed compared to other cameras I have had. Unfortunately for me, my wife told me I could get what I wanted but I guess I passed an invisible barrier as far as price goes. I definitely do not blame her about the price being high, I guess I justified it in my mind but she is much more rational than I am, which is one of the many reasons I love her.

I will also be selling the 50mm f1.1 lens. It seems very nice and extremely well built but a lot bigger than I want on such a compact camera.

So as soon as I sell it I will be buying an M8. I know it has its shortcomings, as I have read, but it will get me a digital M that makes everyone happy. I am secretly hoping no one buys it and then I can just keep it haha.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:11 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Have you tried buying her a nice designer bag?

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Haha. That may do it. I feel like such an idiot for buying it and now 1 day later, selling it. Oh well, such is life I guess.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Have you tried buying her a nice designer bag?

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:08 PM
low325
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

thanks for this thread Sgt Gatr.

i am too in somewhat of a similar dilemma. I also have and love my Df and I am very much invested in N glass (many MF and a few AF). I keep teetering on the fence about purchasing an M9. 5FPS on the Df is plenty for my twin toddlers and just the other week I realized how godsend AF was for situations like this.

but an M keeps calling my name. oh what to do.... sigh

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:58 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

low325 wrote:

i am too in somewhat of a similar dilemma. I also have and love my Df and I am very much invested in N glass (many MF and a few AF). I keep teetering on the fence about purchasing an M9. 5FPS on the Df is plenty for my twin toddlers and just the other week I realized how godsend AF was for situations like this.

I am so new to the M9 (and may sell it for reasons already stated, nothing to do with the camera) that my opinions may be worthless but here they are. The camera is SLOW but I knew that going in to it. Also the LCD is terrible haha. I mean really really bad. You cannot trust it for anything except composition. Also the frame lines seem like more of a guide. I always end up getting more in my frame than intended, but that will be something that I will get use to as I use it more.

The build quality is out of this world good. Feels ridiculously solid, much more so than the Df. Also I like the feel of manual focus. You actually feel more like you are creating images as you manually focus and manually select your aperture and speed. It is a true gem of a camera and IF I sell it I am immediately getting an M8.

Oct 27, 2016 at 05:32 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

As to the rear LCD. I thought same as you at first. But actually when you get used to it, it is very functional to check focus. Learn to zoom.

The M8 is also a great camera. You may need a special filter to get the color right. Not sure if M8.2 also needs this.

If you shoot M8, you will want a wider lens because of the crop. 28 is fantastic on M8 because yogurt the best of the lens and soft edges are gone--asuming you have a older 28.

A good choice to keep cost down would be the CV 28/2 or 1.9. When you buy any lens for RF be sure to get a right of return for calibration issues. When you get the lens check focus right away. Just return if it's off.

I hope you are showing the wife results from the M9. It may soften the shock.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Desmolicious
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

low325 wrote:

If you ever make it to LA, visit the Leica Store with a spare SD card. They'll let you walk around with one while you snap away. Take as long as you want to get a feel for it. Check your pics at home to see how you like the results.
The Leica raw files are non proprietary DNGs so you should be able to edit it anywhere.

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:51 PM
low325
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

good to know! darn they are in BH. i need a come in by hewi to avoid all traffic!
Desmolicious wrote:
If you ever make it to LA, visit the Leica Store with a spare SD card. They'll let you walk around with one while you snap away. Take as long as you want to get a feel for it. Check your pics at home to see how you like the results.
The Leica raw files are non proprietary DNGs so you should be able to edit it anywhere.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:22 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

low325 wrote:

Desmolicious wrote:

+1. I had a great experience at the LA Leica Store. Tried a bunch of lenses that answered a number of questions for me... monopolized the 28 Lux for over an hour... ended up buying one used of the B&S here a month later. I wouldn't have had as much confidence about that purchase had I not been able to try the lens first in the store to get a feel for it and have a reference against the sample images from the one I bought... There's no pressure to buy anything there. In fact, the guy helping me said they don't care where someone ends up buying their Leica gear as it's still a sale for Leica AG. Too bad Leica's after sales support is nowhere near as good as their pre-sales experience. It's a real shame considering they're positioned as a luxury brand and can't even come close to something like Canon's CPS.

Oct 27, 2016 at 09:44 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

low325 wrote:

Thats why the lenses all have useful DoF scales and there is no auto focus faster than being pre focused.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:40 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Sorry to read that you are under pressure to sell the M9 after only a day or so.

I started with the M8 and a CV 35/1.4. M8 prices seem to have held their own for the past 4 years or so...tell me any other digital camera that does that!

Good luck with it all.

Oct 29, 2016 at 01:15 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

Here was the reaction I got:

You bought a Leica? by unoh7, on Flickr

By the time it arrived, she was more curious:

Review by unoh7, on Flickr

Oct 29, 2016 at 06:17 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

airfrogusmc wrote:
Thats why the lenses all have useful DoF scales and there is no auto focus faster than being pre focused.

I'm still working on fully understanding it, but am definitely getting the hang of it.

Oct 30, 2016 at 02:40 PM
low325
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Leica M Digital for Toddlers

i shouldve emphasized FPS more than AF. By all means not trying to make this a AF vs MF issue at all... i love MF.

airfrogusmc wrote:

Nov 04, 2016 at 09:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password