1       2       3              5      
       end

Low lighting event shoot

DonM2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Low lighting event shoot

Two23 wrote:
Wow, five page thread already! I'm waiting for the movie to come out.

Hi, Amanda

The above is a happy thought! Find a friend who knows how to drive a camcorder to get some background clips of one of your next shooting assignments. Your approach to photography and the thread it's generated on this forum bodes a possibly viral entertainment, as well as informative, construct!!

And bless you!

--- DonM2

Oct 28, 2016 at 03:26 PM
TAM63
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Low lighting event shoot

Great thread - I've been reading through. All this advice - I was hoping for a summary of techniques used at the end?

I'm working on improving my flash photography as well.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:32 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Low lighting event shoot

Lighting can/will be challenging each time out.

A couple of things I always keep in mind...

Scout scout and scout your location
Setup your shutter speed to determine the amount of ambient in your exposure
Then add your flash and adjust either the power settings or aperture

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:48 PM
TAM63
• •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Low lighting event shoot

rico wrote:
The big Nikon flashes SB-800/900/910/5000 are far enough off-axis to avoid red-eye, so red-eye reduction can be disabled. For dark venues, set manual exposure on camera, and i-TTL on the flash: I find it necessary to dial compensation (season to taste). Bounced flash is dicey at best, and usually horrendous: color casts, raccoon eyes, total loss of reflectivity at inopportune moments, large discharges that waste battery energy and slow down flash response. I use direct flash with standard zoom lens like 24-70. Lens speed is irrelevent because you need f/5.6-11 to get DOF for groups. Shots below were f/5.6, shutter
...Show more

Those are some nice shots. Can you possibly give a little more detail of how you captured them? 1/4 sec, that is interesting, I guess it doesn't matter if the background moves a little. TTL-BL? Flash head pointed how? bounce card? diffuser? gel? Any other helpful info? Thank you!

Oct 31, 2016 at 03:57 PM
bikemore
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Low lighting event shoot

amandagillen wrote:
Im pleased with these as a starting point. I was expecting MUCH worse! Totally forgot to mention that halfway thru I started seeing NOISE and unfocused pics. The flash was still firing off but I figured the batteries were low? I changed them and everything was fine after that. Was that really what was wrong I took maybe 250-300 pics and went thru 8 batteries?!

You did well, particularly given the pressure you were under. Lots of nice smiles on the people.

Perhaps it was already mentioned in the earlier advice, but always, always bring way more batteries than you think you will use.

Rechargeables: Powerex Imedion or Sanyo Eneloops.

Oct 31, 2016 at 05:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password