New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lens cleaning kit

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens cleaning kit

Good morning. Is there a lens cleaning kit you recommend. I have a blower for the dust, what do you use to wipe the streaks off your glass? Any type of spray or lens cleaning kit you won't recommend. Thank you.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM
hotdog12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens cleaning kit

Honestly, keep it simple. After I blow/brush off any grit or debris, I simply fog the optic with my breath and lightly polish with a clean microfiber cloth. I've been a photojournalist for 35 years and this works fine.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens cleaning kit

Here's my thoughts from a couple of years ago,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1338731/0#12771488

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:19 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens cleaning kit

I have found this helpful: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?return=Advice&id=103

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens cleaning kit

Spikey131 wrote:
I have found this helpful: http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?return=Advice&id=103

Mmm, in that article (focused on telescopes*?) two points jump out - they're inconclusive about solutions, and it seems to contradict itself about acetone*.

Edited on Oct 24, 2016 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:53 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens cleaning kit

I'm kind of mixed on the microfiber. It's great for lens cleaning, but I'm always afraid that I'll have a piece of grit or something in the cloth. I always use disposable lens tissues, but maybe that's my OCD side showing.

Otherwise, a quick breath or one small drop of lens cleaning fluid is all I really ever use. Oh, and yes, blow it off with the Giotto's rocket blower first. If necessary, use a very fine brush from one of those cheap blower-brushes to dust off the grit. Get rid of the solid dust/dirt first before any wiping action.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:54 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens cleaning kit

Tom_W wrote:
I'm kind of mixed on the microfiber. It's great for lens cleaning, but I'm always afraid that I'll have a piece of grit or something in the cloth. I always use disposable lens tissues, but maybe that's my OCD side showing.

Agreed. I also use high quality UV filters. I'm careful with my lenses and clean as seldom as possible.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skasol
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens cleaning kit

hotdog12 wrote:
Honestly, keep it simple. After I blow/brush off any grit or debris, I simply fog the optic with my breath and lightly polish with a clean microfiber cloth. I've been a photojournalist for 35 years and this works fine.

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:38 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens cleaning kit

Tom_W wrote:

Otherwise, a quick breath or one small drop of lens cleaning fluid is all I really ever use. Oh, and yes, blow it off with the Giotto's rocket blower first. If necessary, use a very fine brush from one of those cheap blower-brushes to dust off the grit. Get rid of the solid dust/dirt first before any wiping action.

Thank you, I already have the blower and do that all the time as well as brush off anything else with the fine brush, just wondering for smudges, my kids sometimes touch my very nice delicate lenses and leave fingerprints on them, not good but my 2 year old is very curious. I will try the breath and only clean microfiber cloths. I thought maybe there was like a solution or something made specifically for our lenses.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens cleaning kit

Curious fingers...Yup
I've had raisin goo and all kinds of stuff
My mid range zoom has a UV filter to protect it, but it's glass too and still needs a cleaning.

In order until clean:

Rocket blower
Brush
Then ensure no grit or solid particles like sand
Eclipse solution and Pec pads. (or Nikon moist wipe)
Residual Oil Remover with a clean micro fiber cloth (works esp well for polarizers with persistent smudges)

Edited on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2016 at 07:58 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens cleaning kit

Here's my routine:

Blow off dust and such with a Rocket Blower, gently use a camel hair brush, and if more is needed I've been using the wet/dry packets from Hoodman.

Works for me.

Oct 24, 2016 at 08:28 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens cleaning kit

hotdog12 wrote:

+1

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:13 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens cleaning kit

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your time and input.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password