Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

My A7r has some mount wobble, this may be a factor in why Canon lenses on my Metabones V4 lose communication with the camera quite frequently. (actually happened with a Native FE lens this weekend which is worrying).

So I'm thinking about trying the Fotodiox Tough E-Mount, but I have no backup (ff) camera, so I'm worried about reported issues of infinity focus getting lost after the mod.

How may folks here have done the modification?

All OK or did the tough E mount cause issues?

Oct 24, 2016 at 08:37 AM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

I put a tough E mount on my A7, mounting a lens is a lot stiffer at first, easing to a little stiffer, mostly use an a7II now though.

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:45 AM
PersonCyborg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

I had problems reaching infinity on some manual lenses with the Fotodiox Though E-mount on A7r.

But Sony FE lenses worked fine. I know there are different versions of the Fotodiox mount, I think i had the original one. I have sold the A7r so can not confirm this.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

I had no problem mounting the Signature version of the Fotodiox Tough E mount on my a7R. It certainly cleared up the "tilt" effect the original mount was giving me with heavier lenses. Stupid of Sony to use a plastic mount!

I'm very happy with the Fotodiox mount!

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rparchen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

I put my mount on earlier this year and haven't had a problem at all with any of my lenses not reaching infinity on my A7r and Fotodiox adapter. I've used plenty of Canon-adapted lenses: Roki 14, Zeiss 21/35/50 ZE's, Canon 70-200, Canon 16-35, and tried out a native FE 2.8/35 that would still manually focus past infinity. I wouldn't hesitate to install that mount again.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:46 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

My experience is like Gunzarro's. I now have a Fotodiox Signature Tough E mount (Brass), on both my A7 bodies with no problems. NB The Signature version is a significantly revised and improved design than the standard "silver" Foto' Tough E mount. It's much wider and covers the "bronzed" outer ring on the body, plus another mod' I mention below. (The wider flange solves the problem of loose mounts, shown on utube, at start of the link below, which my second A7 developed after a fall. Kolari Vision told me they regularly get them like that from new!)

However, I've changed my opinion, from thinking that the plastic "spacer" in the native Sony mount is the real problem, I now believe it's the spring plate that sometimes isn't strong enough from new, and that also becomes weaker with multiple lens changes.

On close examination, the Sony plastic spacer, the Fotodiox standard Tough E mount,(silver finish) and the Shoten version, all have "notches" that house the ends of the three spring arms, and take up a lot of the spring arms flexion, the brass Signature mount has done away with this notch, making the spring do more work, resulting in the lenses being held more firmly. (The springs may still weaken, but mine haven't yet, after over a year of use.)

Hard/impossible to explain, but I used photos to illustrate it here; pg 1 #16
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1418667/0

Phillip Reeve covered the topic pretty fully a while back, on a German forum, and came to the same conclusion. I think he resolved it by sending his A7 to a Sony approved repairer, who simply bent the arms on the spring plate, to greater curvature, and Phillip bought a spare spring plate from the repairer, just in case! This is certainly cheaper than getting the Signature E mount, and may serve you. It worked for me when mine first became loose, until the fall I mentioned, when I bought the second Signature mount. The spring arms are very tough though, and take some bending. You probably also void your warranty doing it yourself. So far I know of no UK supplier of the spring plate.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:14 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How many people have had issues with Tough E-Mount?

I lost infinity on most of my m mount lenses after the tough mount change. This is on an a7r. I might have to try the signature mount.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password