Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

Does anyone have any good tricks or tips for fixing uneven blue from CPL filters. I know I can use the gradient tool but on this specific photo there is clouds so it won't work.

clearla

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

Try a Gradient Map layer. Put the layer in Luminosity mode. Double click on the gradient in properties to bring up the color menu. Set the left side to the color of a light blue section of the sky. Set the right side to white.

Black mask the layer and then roughly paint white over the dark blue sky to reveal. That should make the dark blue match the light blue but leave the clouds alone. Probably will need some tweaking. Adjust/lower the opacity of the layer. Go back to the gradient map controls and move that little diamond slider in the middle back and forth and watch the effect. Move it to far to the right and it will start digging into the clouds.

Probably need a different map layer for the bottom reflection.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

This is something that maybe doesn't have to be that hard. I messed around with your jpeg and it's hard to see how it might work on a full res, but I made a Color Range selection of the blue sky, and by being very careful as to how that selection was made, I was able to have a soft edges luminosity selection of just the blue. Then ran a Curves Adjustment Layer to darken the lighter areas and it was pretty damned close to even. That method separated the sky from the clouds so the curve didn't hit the clouds, but I'm sure if you're careful, you could just do a straight Adjustment Layer and paint it in as needed - something I've done on countless images.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

thanks to both of you. I will give both methods a try and hopefully it will work. THe issue isn't too strong here so I was thinking a simple adjustment layer and painting will work but my first couple tries didn't look a ton better. I didn't try to use curves that might be more successful than a exposure adjustment.

Oct 25, 2016 at 01:22 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

This took about three minutes with a trackpad but you get the idea. A little refinement on a high res file using a Wacom and you're good to go.

Oct 25, 2016 at 01:56 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

Thanks peter. Was that just brushing with a curves adjustment?

obviously the file size makes it look bad but I would be happy with the consistency of the blue.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:21 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Uneven sky from Polarizer fix?

mysh - I did the Color Range selection first - clicking probably in the left hand side of the sky. You can see the grayscale preview in the preview window and click around different places until you get a selection that is approximately correct. I think I also used about a 60 on the fuzziness slider with the Localized Cluster not checked. It's pretty close to the screen shot here, but that changed a bit when I took the screen shot - close enough though.

Then I did a Curves Adjustment Layer, which overall was pretty good with that selection, then added another to darken where the sky hit the mountains on the right of the frame and do the same in the reflection. This is all subjective, and in this type of image it doesn't have to be super precise, but this should at least point you in a viable direction and have the tools to attack similar and not so similar problems down the road.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.