New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Chaco

TripLeader

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chaco

Long time listener, first time caller...

Here's my first photo on FM. Let me know what you think.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chaco

First of all welcome to the forum, and hope you find it useful.

It would be nice if all the doors were in line but it looks like you did a good job at a compromise. If I had the chance to work this scene at different times, I would seek a time without shadows. Cloudy or sometime when the sun was not directly on anything.

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:14 AM
TripLeader

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chaco

Thanks, Ben. I appreciate your time.

The doors just did not line up, so that was what I came up with.

I agree with the lighting critique.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:21 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chaco

First, welcome to Photo Critique. I agree with Ben's suggestion about lighting. Not sure if you have the opportunity to go back and reshoot this, but if so, what would improve your photo would be more dramatic lighting as well as perhaps some interesting shadows caused by the lighting.

Cropping the image to a vertical orientation would also make the image more dynamic. I hope you don't mind me offering an alternative crop. I'd be glad to take this down at your request.

Last, you might want to consider adding an "irritant" to your image if you reshoot. For instance, a person standing in the far doorway. Or some possession placed on the ground, or a person's shadow. Irritants "activate" an image and create more interest for the viewer's eye.

Just a few thoughts for your consideration. And again, welcome.

Steve

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chaco

+1 @ Welcome to the Forum.

Even though things didn't line up with the exactness of Scott's construction maze, I still think there is a message of depth and symmetry that can be conveyed. Given the nature of the subject, such "exactness" isn't paramount, imo.

Rather than see the light / shadow as an obstacle @ time of day, use it creatively (i.e. don't fight it ... run with it instead).

Mine is a bit crude, but hopefully you get the gist @ interplay the light / dark.

BTW ... the irony of a "lurker" coming out of the shadows into the light ... and your first post having light / dark to play with is

Glad to see you made it out of the lurking shadows ... bring on the pics.

Oct 25, 2016 at 02:14 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chaco

I'm OK with the asymmetry (it's what it is and part of the charm), and the lighting. But I agree with Kent that the image needs to be kicked up a bit and play with the shadows, contrast and add some more sharpness.
I think Kent' rework goes in the right direction but perhaps a bit too far.
In addition to perhaps finding something in between, I would sharpen and consider a bit more off the left side for further asymmetry.

Scott

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:50 AM
TripLeader

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chaco

As a complete amateur, who wishes to get better, I thank you guys for all the feedback. Both those edits are much more interesting and better than my original.

I genuinely appreciate your thoughts. This photo was taken on a long weekend trip earlier this month to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, so I don't have the opportunity to reshoot. I have another photo with my kid behind the first doorway, but she was less than thrilled to be in the photo and her expression showed it.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password