Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Vortex

rkpx1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vortex

Tried out the vortex post-processing technique for one of my star photos during the summer, and I really like the result. Editing was done with Photoshop CS5.1. Comments and critiques welcome!

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:02 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vortex

very interesting.. i have not encountered such processing.

care to detailing the process?

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vortex

I am not sure how much I like that. It is different for sure, and I am sure there is an appeal to this, just not sure if I would do it. But, with that said, the star part it looks like you accomplished your goal. But the ground element, you might want to rethink a bit. The rock is sharp, so your focus is on, but the green area (bushes?) seem blurry or out of focus and so they end up distracting. Perhaps find something for a foreground that won't move during a long exposure and will look sharp.

Jim

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:27 PM
rkpx1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vortex

tntcorp wrote:
very interesting.. i have not encountered such processing.

care to detailing the process?

I used Photoshop to create a repeatable action, in which a Smart Object (made from a sky selection) was copied to a new layer, and the new layer was rotated a very small amount with constrained proportions, while slightly reducing the width. This particular image was composed of 145 such layers.

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:41 PM
rkpx1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vortex

JimFox wrote:
I am not sure how much I like that. It is different for sure, and I am sure there is an appeal to this, just not sure if I would do it. But, with that said, the star part it looks like you accomplished your goal. But the ground element, you might want to rethink a bit. The rock is sharp, so your focus is on, but the green area (bushes?) seem blurry or out of focus and so they end up distracting. Perhaps find something for a foreground that won't move during a long exposure and will look sharp.

Jim

I agree with you here on the foreground. What I should have done was make 2 exposures, one where the focus was set correctly for the foreground, and one where focus was set correctly for the stars. It was also relatively windy that day, which did not help my cause. Thanks for your suggestion!

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:47 PM
Powidi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vortex

impressive !

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:06 AM
rkpx1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vortex

Powidi wrote:
impressive !

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2016 at 08:24 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vortex

rkpx1 wrote:
I used Photoshop to create a repeatable action, in which a Smart Object (made from a sky selection) was copied to a new layer, and the new layer was rotated a very small amount with constrained proportions, while slightly reducing the width. This particular image was composed of 145 such layers.

got it - ;-)

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:05 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.