New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Gimp anyone?

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gimp anyone?

Up to this point, over that last five or six years, I've been using both Windows and Mac for photographic purposes. I've also run linux since about 95 to tinker with, but only in about the last three or so years have I considered it to perhaps be fit for for a photographic workflow, but that is something I've always put away - for the future.

The two major reasons for staying with both windows and Mac has bee that I favor Capture One and Photomechanic and of course there is no linux version. There is also a fairly substantial set of details that are different between the two platforms in both of these programs, such that while I'm very happy with both, I'd like to experiment and see if I can move on to other software, and if that other software is free ... well, heck yes!

Lastly, I now am dabbling in Infra Red photography, and so I need to do channel swaps, something that Capture one, as best as I know does not do.

I'd like to find out if anyone here uses Gimp and or Raw Therapee, and if so I was hoping to get some feedback about how stable the two software packages are, and especially what you DON'T like about them. What are the annoyances or the limitations of Gimp? Or of Raw therapee?

I'd like to continue to use my two Mac's and perhaps to continue with windows, but really I'd like to get away from life with windows. I've got two very nice Xeon based machines, one running as a server (an HP Proliant that I was using for my virtualization curriculum, but which is too noisy for desktop use) and a second machine, a Lenovo, customized and set up where I can slide an SSD into a removable tray and boot up anything from GhostBSD, to Slackware to Windows. They both have a lot of advantages over my macs in that I have four internal drives in each of them and want to put them to use. So I'm hoping to test the waters with Gimp and Raw Therapee, with Raw therapee mostly as a DAM, and start by using Windows (7 or 8) for a while, and then evaluate if Linux itself may not be a viable platform. I really like details of the filesystems available in Linux over that of NTFS or HFS+.

Any experience? Any thoughts? Any advice? Thanks.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:48 PM
austinschutz
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gimp anyone?

I have used both, although it has been a while.

GIMP:
lacks an intuitive interface, but very powerful. I think Photoshop Elements is a better choice as it is nearly as powerful, but retains an interface that isn't as nightmarish. There used to be a great skin called GIMPshop, but as far as I can tell it no longer exists.

Raw Therapee:
interface is fine, powerful. A good option as a raw converter, I certainly prefer lightroom, but Raw Therapee is a good option if you can't afford to buy a dedicated raw converter. It lacks a lot of options for sorting that other programs have, if Picassa were still being updated they work nice in tandem.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:54 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gimp anyone?

IMO, the biggest drawback to the current GIMP release is the lack of multi-threading in the basic functions. The team is working to improve this situation, but progress has been slow...

Oct 25, 2016 at 07:30 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gimp anyone?

I've noticed that on my little Mac mini, the gpu seems not to be accelerated, which makes it paint in changes, line by line like some sort of 1993 web ... but I can deal with that just now, while hoping for the near future.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:33 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gimp anyone?

I use the Gimp and, for me, the biggest limitation is the 8 bits/channel. Higher bit level is promised for the next major release.

Oct 27, 2016 at 04:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password