New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

cvrle59
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

I'm not a long range shooter, but I would like to have something with little more reach that it's not so expensive, big an heavy. I was thinking about this lens, and I know that focus is slow, and it's got very first VR version.
I'm wondering how good optically this lens is, how "slow" that focus is, what you can do with it, and what can just dream about.
I would like to here from people who used owe it.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:49 PM
GNMink
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

I've owned 2 different copies over the years and found it to be pretty decent in regards to IQ but nothing special. Don't expect it to be real sharp at 400. If you want a longer lens for wildlife I'd think you probably won't be happy, and for BIF and little birds you'll get a lot of missed shots. This lens works good for people and general photography where focus speed is not an issue. The VR works fine and does help. Really slim pickins in this focal range for Nikon unless you can afford the new version. With that said you can find them at bargain prices. Depending on what you want to shoot, the 300mm f4 AFS would also be worth a look if you're on a budget. No VR but fast AF and is super sharp.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:15 PM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

GNMink wrote:
I've owned 2 different copies over the years and found it to be pretty decent in regards to IQ but nothing special. Don't expect it to be real sharp at 400. If you want a longer lens for wildlife I'd think you probably won't be happy, and for BIF and little birds you'll get a lot of missed shots. This lens works good for people and general photography where focus speed is not an issue. The VR works fine and does help. Really slim pickins in this focal range for Nikon unless you can afford the new version. With that
...Show more
Thanks!

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:51 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

You can also use the focus limiter to shave off some of the focus speed time.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

I agree with GNMink's assessment, and have been happy for some years with my specimen of this lens. For maximum sharpness, I do try to keep it in the 100-350mm range and at least a half-stop down from wide-open. The VR works well for about two stops; you'll of course want to turn it off on a tripod, and with this lens, also at shutter speeds of 1/1000 and higher (where it works against you, but you don't need it anyway).

As a manual-focus shooter, AF speed doesn't matter to me; this said, I've experimented with it occasionally, and found it just fine for easy subjects like a great blue heron in flight, a walking bear, and a running fox. As said, the AF limiter reduces hunting considerably. But I wouldn't recommend this lens to a serious sports shooter or bird-in-flight enthusiast.

The lens renders portraits beautifully, and has wonderful bokeh at f/11. Feel free to leave the large lens hood at home--it's just about impossible to make this lens produce flare. I've always used the aftermarket Kirk lens collar, which is considered a big improvement over the stock collar.

--Chris

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:21 AM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

I bought one used several years ago and it was my long lens for birding, sports and airshows. All good info already posted especially the focus limiter. The only thing I would add is I shoot in Continuous Low with the lens to give it a bit more time to focus. Morris on the Nature and Wildlife board has used one quite a bit. I've moved away from the lens for birds and sports but I still use it for airshows. It still can produce acceptable images.

NIKON D2X    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    105mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    200 ISO    -0.5 EV  

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/6.7    1/1000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    1100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Oct 25, 2016 at 07:59 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Nikon AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR lens

I agree with all that's stated and want to provide a few tips for using this lens that is full of capabilities and compromises.

- Use of the focus limiter switch makes a huge difference in focus speed.
- If you prefocus flight is quite easy or pick up your subject in the distance and track it in
- IQ is OK at 400mm wide open and quite good at f8. Shorter focal lengths at all apatures produce great results.
- You need to use a body with a strong focus motor or you will not be happy with focus speed. D70 was eh, D200, D300 dove the lens well and on a D2HS focus was so fast the lens could get knocked out of your hands.

If you do everything correctly, you will be happy 90% of the time. There will be times when you want to lens to focus and it will leave you muttering.

D200 + 80-400 VR @ 400mm, ISO 800, 1/320, f8, fill flash

D200 + 80-400 VR @ 400mm, ISO 400, 1/1200, f8, fill flash

D200 + 80-400 VR @ 400mm, ISO 800, 1/400, f8, fill flash

Morris

Oct 26, 2016 at 01:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password