New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Falls in the fall

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Falls in the fall

First shots from Fridays outing. I have many more to go through yet from this location and a few others from that day.

I saw this shot as I was walking in and noticed the sun peaking through the woods on the ridge so I stopped immediately and set-up and shot this @ f/22 in hopes I could get a little icing on the cake.

Needless to say, I was nearly shaking from excitement when I saw this scene. I honestly don't think it could have gotten any better other than maybe better water flow.
This is by far one of the most magical locations I have ever shot with fall colors and I hope my capture does this incredible scene justice.
Special thanks goes out to Socrate for putting me onto this place.

Out of the many different compositions I shot at this location I will definitely be printing one of them as large as possible. If I find any better shots or that can compete with this one I will be posting them up as well for any advice and suggestions.

I'm posting two crop options. The tighter crop follows the "rules" but I loose a little color at the top and bottom which I'm not too crazy about. On the first image, I have more room on the bottom and left side to play with if needed.

Please let me know what you think. All critique is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Eastatoe Falls 1

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    35mm    f/22.0    1/4s    100 ISO    -2.3 EV  

Eastatoe Falls 2 tighter crop

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    35mm    f/22.0    1/4s    100 ISO    -2.3 EV  

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Falls in the fall

Gorgeous, I think I like the larger crop but it is very close. Great scene, good comp, processing is just right to my eyes.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:28 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Falls in the fall

Thanks Ben! Your crop choice is good to here.
This was one of those "goose bumps" moments when I saw this place. I had to keep telling myself to calm down and think things through.

Dave

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:37 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Falls in the fall

They are both beautiful photos, Dave. Comparing the two images I kind of tend to prefer the first one, with one exception: the waterfall moved a bit to the left as in the second shot.
Seems like you found the perfect conditions: clouds in a blue sky and the peaking sun; and you made the best of this opportunity.
Did you try also some horizontal compositions?
Socrate

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Falls in the fall

The near diagonal formed by the falls leads the eye gently and softly through brilliantly colourful foliage in these exceptional photos.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:20 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Falls in the fall

Shasoc wrote:
They are both beautiful photos, Dave. Comparing the two images I kind of tend to prefer the first one, with one exception: the waterfall moved a bit to the left as in the second shot.
Seems like you found the perfect conditions: clouds in a blue sky and the peaking sun; and you made the best of this opportunity.
Did you try also some horizontal compositions?
Socrate

Thank you Socrate! I could go to a 16:10 ratio on that one and just trim a little off the left edge. I do have another one that might be even better posted below. The sun star is more prominent in this new image but I'm not sure if it is too strong and pulls the eyes away too much. Your thoughts?

And yep, I have horizontals as well. I photo bombed the hell out of this place and spent well over an hour there shooting every imaginable composition including focus stacked panos. I have no idea how I'm going to keep all the images straight in my head though and might say to hell with the focus stack.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

Rick Joyce wrote:
The near diagonal formed by the falls leads the eye gently and softly through brilliantly colourful foliage in these exceptional photos.

Thank you for the kind comment Rick!

One thing I definitely need help with here is with my nemesis cyan. I think I see it now in the OP images and have tried to correct it in the below new image.

Does anyone else see a cyan cast in the above images?
Kent usually will bust me on this so maybe he'll see these and offer his eyes.

Thanks for the help folks!
Edit: That was suppose to be thanks for the "help" folks. Not for the "hell".

Dave

New Composition with larger sun star and removed cyan cast?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    29mm    f/22.0    1/4s    100 ISO    -2.3 EV  

Edited on Oct 23, 2016 at 09:28 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:39 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Falls in the fall

Last is best yet. I did not see cyan in the earlier images but I have trouble seeing cyan myself

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:20 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Falls in the fall

The last one is the one that to my eyes has the most balanced composition.
Yes the first two images have a cyan cast. So does the last one but is less.
I tried to WB the images, but you need to consider the color reflections. Usually with autumn colors a warm cast is welcomed, but WB is a decision you have to make, because sometimes the right WB it is not the best one. I put your original and my WBalanced images together to make it easier to notice the difference.
I used the water to WB your images.
Socrate

Oct 23, 2016 at 08:21 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Falls in the fall

ben egbert wrote:
Last is best yet. I did not see cyan in the earlier images but I have trouble seeing cyan myself

Thanks Ben. Kent has taught me well and I have learned to almost expect it. I always look for it but I missed it on the first OP images until I started working on the newest one. Then I saw what I thought was my nemesis and needed confirmation.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

Shasoc wrote:
The last one is the one that to my eyes has the most balanced composition.
Yes the first two images have a cyan cast. So does the last one but is less.
I tried to WB the images, but you need to consider the color reflections. Usually with autumn colors a warm cast is welcomed, but WB is a decision you have to make, because sometimes the right WB it is not the best one. I put your original and my WBalanced images together to make it easier to notice the difference.
I used the water to WB your images.
Socrate

Thanks Socrate! I did set the WB off the waterfalls and I also shot a gray card on site while shooting these.
Using the water gives me a temp and tint of 5700 / +1 where as my gray card gave me a temp and tint of 5450 / +2. I went with the cooler gray card numbers but to my worthless eyes it still made it too warm so I backed off. To my eyes it has more pop or depth with a slight cyan cast left in there. I did use a brush on the newest image to separate the water and the foliage a little. I'll definitely keep a close eye on this now.

What about you? Does your WB version look good to your eyes or would you cool it down a little for print?

Dave

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Falls in the fall

Here is how I did wb the images: I looked for a neutral color, a color I knew had to be neutral (white, black or grey). I measure the RGB values of that neutral color and I expect all three channels (RGB) to have the same value (that's what neutral means) In LAB would be: a and b = zero. I know the water is neutral, (white). In the case of your images the water had higher values in the Blue and Green channels than the Red one, with the blue being higher. That meant the the water had a Blue/Green (Cyan) cast. Lowering the values of the Blue and Green channel to the same value of the Red channel made the water neutral wbing the whole image. In effect it is a bit more complex than that as the reflections of the canopy around the area should also be considered which makes hard to white balance the image.
Once you get the right WB you can then decide weather to add a bit some warm or cold tone according to your taste and to create a mood. Personally I tend to "warm" my Autumn shots since all the leaves tend to reflect warm colors around. However, as I said it is only a matter of personal taste and that is all it matters. In this case I blended mine with your original images.
Here is a very helpful trick that gives you a sense of any cast or hidden colors in your images even if you don't have a good eye for colors: Boost the saturation all the way up to its max to see colors you didn't know they were there, that are hidden and create a cast. Try this with one of your images posted and you should see the water turning Blue.
Socrate

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:21 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Falls in the fall

Thanks Socrate. I took a look last night and discovered that I must have reintroduced the color cast in that last image that I had previously removed. My eyes didn't see it but somewhere along the line (probably in NIK) I cooled it down.

And yep, Kent and I think Karen had shared that 100% saturation trick with me awhile back. I failed to put this knowledge to good use on these images though.
My mom always told me I was a little slow.

Thanks for the reminder Socrate!

Dave

Oct 24, 2016 at 07:50 PM
Littlefield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Falls in the fall

Nice shot Dave. Man we need rain that falls is really low with water. I would go back when the water is
flowing better.
Don

Oct 26, 2016 at 06:58 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Falls in the fall

Hey Don! Thanks for the kind words. I don't think it will do any good to go back this year as the leaves were falling like crazy that day and I'm sure their nearly gone by now.
I so wish it would have had better flow but I'll take what I can get.

It's crazy isn't it? We just had people loose their lives in the low country from all the flooding from Matthew and yet we haven't gotten much more than a few drops of rain in nearly 2 months. I'd rather have the drought rather than drown but man, it's getting bad.

Dave

Oct 26, 2016 at 07:12 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Falls in the fall

Posted my (hopefully) final version of this over on landscape in case anyone here wanted to see it.
I was going to cross post but I feel weird about doing that.

Thanks again for the help Socrate and Ben!

Dave

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:06 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Falls in the fall

Saw it Dave, looks very good. I don't comment at Landscape so I wanted you to know I really liked it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:59 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Falls in the fall

Thanks Ben! Glad you approve.
I hardly ever post anything over there because I'm way out of my league. I do like to comment on any of the images that really strike me when I have time to look around.

If I do get up the nerve to post there it's usually just doing a gut check to see if my image has any merit or if it's just in my head.
I figure if I at least get a couple of sympathy comments before it slips away into the dark corners of cyber space then I'm at least close.

I don't have much confidence in myself in case you didn't notice.

Dave

Oct 27, 2016 at 03:18 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Falls in the fall

Lighthound: Hey Don! Thanks for the kind words. I don't think it will do any good to go back this year as the leaves were falling like crazy that day and I'm sure their nearly gone by now.
I so wish it would have had better flow but I'll take what I can get.

Not sure whether this appeals to you, but this is a beautiful scene that you might consider photographing in all 4 seasons. I personally would love to see photos side by side showing each season and the dramatic differences.

Steve

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:18 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Falls in the fall

eeneryma wrote:
Not sure whether this appeals to you, but this is a beautiful scene that you might consider photographing in all 4 seasons. I personally would love to see photos side by side showing each season and the dramatic differences.

Steve

Ok you twisted my arm. I'll just have to keep going back to this horrible place. It's the least I can do for ya man.

Seriously though, that's a good idea Steve! We get pretty cold during the winter in that area so there's a good chance I could get something with the falls all iced up and maybe some snow. I was planning on going back in the spring when there is better flow but you just brightened my winter by talking me into a winter shoot.

Dave

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password