New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Camera’s full AF capability only available with a subset of lenses
quote from dpreview...

This quote was part of the "cons" in the camera review
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2

Part of Fujifilm X-T2 First Impressions by Richard Butler in the dpreview review:

From prior experience with Fujifilm cameras, I suspect that even the faster sensor readout, improved algorithms and more sophisticated tracking will only really benefit the company's fastest-focusing lenses. Many of the XF lenses (particularly some of the prime lenses) have to move quite large focus elements around so are unlikely to offer the same performance as those lenses with lightweight internal focus or the brute force brought by multiple linear motors. And since Fuji's Hybrid AF system still relies heavily on contrast-detection even within the phase-detect area, any lens hunting massively slows down subject and face tracking, which still holds true for the X-T2 in our preliminary testing.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2/5

Anyone have any understanding of which lenses will play well with the X-T2?

My first thought is that the higher end lenses would be the best, but, as I read this last
bit by Mr. Butler I am thinking even the first releases might work well as they have less
to move...

If anyone has experience with some of your lenses or might even do some testing...
might prove very interesting.

I have the x-t1 only, so not able to test, but am considering the purchase of the new t2
and want to know if I will be affected by my lens lineup...

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:24 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

16-55
50-140
35mm f2
23mm f2
90mm
100-400

see here :

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x%c2%ad-pro2-really-faster-than-x-t1-yes-and-here-is-why-and-how-much-faster-more-x-pro2-reviews/

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:44 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

I think they all work just fine. Some are faster than others but even "slow" glass like the 56mm f1.2 APD (which doesn't even allow PDAF) has been working fine for my shooting needs. Certainly isn't blazing fast but its also not so glacial slow to prove frustrating.

In some cases at FW update makes a big difference too. My 90/2 for example was on version 1.0 and hunted a lot, but after going to FW 1.02 it got a lot quicker/less hunting.

As I said though, the 56mm f1.2 APD probably has the most glass to move around for its relative size, and being the APD version, can't even use PDAF, and it still gets the job done so I figure that is the relative "worst" of all the glass, so anything else is faster and will work even better.

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:15 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

I use a wide range of Fujifilm lenses with my XPro2 (which is almost entirely the same as the XT2 in regards to AF) and all of them "play well" with these cameras.

Example: For a while I had access to both the f/1.4 and /2 versions of the 35mm lens. The latter is one of the newer lenses with better AF performance. I think it is better, but not in ways that are overwhelming... and I decided to keep the f/1.4 version instead.

so unless getting some small additional increment of AF performance over the generally good performance of the Fujifilm system is more critical to you than other functional factors, I'd generally stick to picking lenses on a wider range of factors. For example, if you need f/1.4, select the f/1.4 versions of the 35mm or 23mm primes. If the extra stop doesn't matter... get the f/2 versions. (Or, if smaller size is critical, you have even more reason to get the smaller lenses.)

Dan

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:57 PM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

16-55mm F2.8 has the fastest AF, as far as my experience can tell.
I didn't owe 50-140mm and 100-400mm, but I played in the store with them. The 50-140mm is probably close to 16-55mm, but 100-400 is slightly slower.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:10 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

As I purchased into this system for weight issue ( I still love my Nikons ) I am using the
most lightweight of the Fuji lenses: the 18 f/2 and the 60 f/2.4. As I continue to use
these lenses I am finding out how really very good they are! I can shoot closeup with
the 18 and the 60 gives me some needed tele....

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:40 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

You can wonder about this stuff too much.

Take photos. The cameras work.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Ian Boys wrote:

Agreed. Its easy to over focus on specific metrics and not the overall shooting/handling experience of a camera.

For example, the Sony A6300 I briefly owned had quite good AF speed for a mirrorless camera (and some really cool other features like the high speed video for slow motion) but, I didn't really like how it felt in my hand, I didn't find the controls easy to adjust etc.

Really need to view a camera in the more overall sense of how enjoyable it is to use, because otherwise you end up just buying a really well spec'd camera that is going to sit on your shelf at home.

I'll admit my XT2 isn't the fastest camera I've owned, I've had Sony's and m4/3 bodies that are quicker (and that offered the sometimes useful IBIS) but, I'm taking my Fuji (even with the "slow" lenses) lots of places, enjoying the act of shooting, and coming home with nice images.

AF speed, frame rates etc are all well and good, but aren't really going to make or break any camera these days, because nearly everything is at least acceptable, and few if any are going to shoot with something they don't actually enjoy just because of a slight edge on a given metric.

I mean heck, look at how many people have switched to Fuji from Sony's alphas. Camera like the A7rII pretty much tops the XT2 in every metric category, except the big one, the one that is hard to define; enjoyment of shooting.

Can't really put numbers on that. Can't say its 17% more enjoyable and the interface controls are 0.22 seconds more intuitive to make an adjustment with etc.

All you can do it shoot with it and rate it either as a "yes, I enjoyed this camera" or "no, I didn't get on with it"

Fuji's aren't the fastest, cheapest, smallest, highest tech, best IQ , cleanest high ISO etc etc, but they just might be the camera you find yourself reaching for 9 times out of 10, even when you've got a few other systems also available on your shelf

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:23 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

The 16-55 and 50-140 seem neck and neck to me on both the XT-2 and XP-2. Although, as many have suggested I think all of my lenses "play well" with both cameras and have benefited over previous models.
Chuck

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:56 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

millsart wrote:
Fuji's aren't the fastest, cheapest, smallest, highest tech, best IQ , cleanest high ISO etc etc, but they just might be the camera you find yourself reaching for 9 times out of 10, even when you've got a few other systems also available on your shelf

Agreed, they've done an amazing job at managing engineering tradeoffs in a photographer centric way that just seems to have the right 'balance' of IQ/lenses/size/features/cost most of the time for me personally. I've read before in interviews with people from their team that they made being a practicing photographer a requirement for all members of the management team as they built the product team. Maybe that explains their uncanny ability to get the right blend of qualities into the system as well as having produced a really endearing photographers camera. It really is just a good balanced set of qualities in this system, even without all the *bests*

I use the XP2 and I find all the lenses play very nicely. The 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140 are all fine handling wise and the primes are a joy to use I'm sure it's the same on the XT2.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Ian Boys wrote:

Oh, I am taking lots of pics...
but, "wondering" about getting the X-T2 or just stay with
my T1... Sometimes is so slow...frustrating, but then amazes me.

These pics were taken yesterday... the X-T1 with the 60 f/2.4
very foggy early morning, I did not have my settings right, we were driving down the road...
I opened my window and started snapping

All SOOC with only resizing...

1st one I snapped. Did not realize the bridge was in the swampy area of water til I got home.

...there was no focusing or finding a subject. I was just snapping as fast as this combination
would take the picture...

Egret

Edited on Oct 23, 2016 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

These are some more taken as we were driving along...

Reflections

I cropped this one
Cypress Fishermen Duck

This pic was taken from the far lane, from the passengers seat, through the dirty windshield

Rail Road Bridge

I was impressed with my "slow" camera/lens. It gave some pictures with inappropriate settings and decent color (everything was exceptionally foggy).
None of the pictures had what I determined to be blur. Even up close grasses and weeds did not seem bad.

I think I can wait to find out more answers as time passes, and now assured that my system can get the job done...
don't have to have the new T2...

I am very happy and content... and enjoying using this little camera all the more!

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:34 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Thank you all for your thoughts and contributions to my query...

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:39 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Hi Cheryle.
With the time difference I have come after many responses.
The XT2 AF is excellent, and really you have to fine tune it to your technique and style of photography. If you after fast action shots, the later versions are better, but not by much IMO. With the XT2 set in boost mode the AF even with the 56 APD and R versions are still excellent for fast portrait lenses. There are no fast portrait lenses out there that will AF really fast.
The AF with the XT2 is faster and more accurate than with my previous A7rII.

Also my FF backup camera is a D750 and AF is fast too, but I feel the XT2 is better and more accurate.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Chuck Eklund wrote:
The 16-55 and 50-140 seem neck and neck to me on both the XT-2 and XP-2. Although, as many have suggested I think all of my lenses "play well" with both cameras and have benefited over previous models.
Chuck

Shortly after I got my 50-140 (which I use in a limited way, and typically not for highly active subjects) I tested it by photographing some kite surfers along the Pacific coast. I was impressed by the focus speed and accuracy.

Dan

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:28 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

charles.K wrote:
Also my FF backup camera is a D750 and AF is fast too, but I feel the XT2 is better and more accurate.

Wow, Charles, this is quite a recommendation for the XT2... thank you

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

charles.K wrote:

Look, I love my X-T2. I wish this were true. But its just not even close. Accurate, yes. But its nowhere near as quick to lock on as either the D750 or D810.

Oct 24, 2016 at 06:57 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

I had an XT-1. Fine camera. Then I bought an XPro 2. Everything was faster. Everything. The lenses that were a bit slow on the XT-1 were really good on the XPro2 and lenses that were really good on the XT-1 were even better on the XPro2.

I completely stopped using the XT-1 and bought a second XPro2. Sold the XT-1 soon after.

Yes there are some lenses that are better than others on the newer cameras. But ALL the lenses are better on the newer cameras than the older ones. Even the 35mm 1.4 and 60mm macro see noticeable speed bumps. The newer cameras are also significantly better at AF when the light levels drop.

Gordon

Oct 24, 2016 at 08:18 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Thank you, flash...
good info to read here.

Oct 24, 2016 at 08:33 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Lens Play Well with the X-T2 ???

Cheryle Sytsma wrote:
Wow, Charles, this is quite a recommendation for the XT2... thank you

Hi Cheryle, probably should reword this slightly differently. The AF speed alone between the XT2 and D750 is very similar and depends on which lens you are using, but the XT2 is more accurate and requires no micro focus adjustment (MFA). The D750 is excellent once you get the right MFA as it is so easy to miss the AF on the eyes if the lens is out marginally. Typically some of my MFA's have to be +10 and you do have to fine tune for different distances too.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password