Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Batis 85 AND/OR Sony 50 macro AND/OR Sony 90 macro G OSS?

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Batis 85 AND/OR Sony 50 macro AND/OR Sony 90 macro G OSS?

I have used the Sony FE 2.8/50 Macro for two weeks now. Here you can find quite a few images and I have also written down my impressions in a Sony FE 2.8/50 Rolling Review.

Personally I would prefer the Sony FE50 Macro as a one lens setup, especially for flowers over the FE90 but the FE50 Macro has some shortcomings the 90 doesn't have. I had the FE90 only for a short time and had to send it back because it was badly decentered so I have never compared them directly.
  • I only use a 24MP a7ii but there I am very happy with the FE50's sharpness at any magnification. For very good corners you should stop down to f/5.6 but the center is great from f/2.8. Flare resistance is great as well.
  • The FE50 Macro at 1:1 has working distance of just 45mm which can be quite limiting for some subjects.
  • Correction of LoCA is quite a bit better for the FE90.
  • The FE50 has only 7 slightly rounded aperture blades which is detrimental for bokeh stopped down.
  • AF is really slow with the FE50 and it does extend quite a bit while the FE90 is a fast IF design.
  • The FE50 Macro is feather light and not too large.

All in all I think the Sony is a good one lens setup but it isn't without tradeoffs

• Oct 23, 2016 at 08:53 AM
           end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password