Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Downy in upside down perch

MedicineMan404
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Downy in upside down perch

C/C please.
should I have done a more serious denoise of the background?
overall focus?

Forgot, here's the EXIF off Flickr-
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
ƒ/7.1 312.0 mm 1/500 1250 Flash (off, did not fire)

This is the corrected version (Thanks Birdie)

Downy hanging by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Edited on Oct 24, 2016 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:27 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Downy in upside down perch

Hi Robert,

Some people are bothered by any noise. I'm not one of them and I'm not finding the noise distracting and it is not colorful noise (chroma noise). You exposure is such that you have detail in both the dark and light feathers of the downy and that's not easy. I'm wondering if you focused on the eye or the belly as it's forehead lacks detail and it looks like focus rather than exposure that took it away. The eye itself is sharp enough so again it's OK. The compostion is good, you might want to darken the bright spots on the right side which are not terrible yet do pull my eye a little

Morris

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:36 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Downy in upside down perch

I generally agree with Morris' thoughts but would add that for my taste, the crop is a little tight. It does isolate the woodpecker and includes a little surrounding greenery, but in my opinion, it feels a little 'claustrophobic'. I wonder whether a revised version giving the woodpecker a little more room might also de-noise the image just a little bit and add value overall?

Thanks for posting.

--Kim

Oct 23, 2016 at 08:48 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Downy in upside down perch

Thanks Kim. I cropped to size because just out of frame was a medium sized pine cone that was very much not in focus and I didn't want to try to heal or clone stamp it. I agree that it is tight though.
Morris thank you as well. I'm sure my focus was on the belly, no way I could get and hold stead an AF point on the eye.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:22 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Downy in upside down perch

Lovely shot . I hope you don't mind, but I played with your shot. I am one who loves the smooth background, so I did noise reduction on the background only. I also selected the eye only and did some sharpening.
Personally, I think the smoother background makes the subject stand out more, but this is very subjective.

Again, hope you don't mind, let me know if you want me to remove it.

Birdie

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:32 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Downy in upside down perch

Haha! NO dont remove. Teach me how! Looks much better

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:51 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Downy in upside down perch

You sure caught a typically shot of this little woodpecker, very nice job. However, I do like it a bit better with a NR background.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.