FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

On thimenors, I took the first photo in the bridge in 2012 and put it on my studio window for 4 years, so everybody could watch it, including the photographers of this town, a few client brides have told me that friends of their told their photographer to shoot it, well there is a photographer that has shot and made the second picture his main picture to advertize his wedding photography. What do u think, some copying here or what ?

Thanks beforehands.

Mine:

His (a vertical crop):

Edited on Oct 24, 2016 at 09:26 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:44 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Yes, it's subtle but from what I can tell there is definitely a bride and groom in the other guy's shot.

In all sincerity, I understand when we feel like we've accomplished a signature image or look, but this is fretting over nothing. If you got a four year exclusive run out of it, good for you. But c'mon, Jamie.

Btw, I like your shot much more than his.

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:26 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

On the other hand, if you want to extend the run, add a caption that says you create very fun images - and that's the best man, not the groom.

See does anybody copy t h a t !

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:30 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Well, I forgot to mention, the shooter is a friend of mine who apparently wants "my" pose !

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:49 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

These images donīt look the same to me

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:13 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

2 things:

1) your photograph is going to feel more interesting because it has more elements working for it (leading lines, beautiful bokeh, golden hour light)

2) don't let poses that can be easily copied be your brand-defining images if you are worried about things like this

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:17 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

With the crop of the image I posted I wanted to point out the pose.

This is the real image:

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:38 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Yours is a lot nicer in both location and subtle things from the couple, like the brides hand. The groom is in a different enough position to prefer yours and your lighting is way better.

Let's be honest. It's highly unlikely that your version is the first in the world. Brides in your village probably still have access to the internet. And eventually someone was going to copy you.

If a bride sees both shots, I don't think you've got anything to worry about at all.

Gordon

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:53 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

I hate to tell you but I have seen pretty much the same pose many times before so your shot is not exactly a one off original.

I don't think with weddings there are any shots that could be done that haven't already... well, not that you'd want to do at least. Pretty sure a mate of Mine won an award for a shot pretty much the same as this 20 years ago taken down on the old docks with his Ferrari in the background.

The other thing is, after 4 years of showing that pic, did it not occur to you that someone would say to their shooter, I want a pic like.....
Seems you have been told the shot has been copied so I'm not sure why you are surprised someone has run with it.

I would get brides coming in pretty much every time with samples of shots they liked cut from bridal mags. Often I wondered why the hell they were hiring me and not the guy whom they had 10 sample shots from . Must have been booked that day or something?

The thing is shots are going to be copied because the clients ask for them.
Myself I always tried to copy the " Feel" and look of the shot rather than the shot itself but I have seen a couple of times where shooters have the sample shots with them and are looking at the shot and the people in front of them and trying to position the couple as exactly as possible. .
Always made me laugh and shake my head how lame they were but I suppose this is the upshot of that sort of lack of creativity and ability.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised you would even run this shot so long in your window. Surely a motivated shooter like yourself has come up with enough shots to change your entire display in that time.

One thing to have a shot on the wall that only new clients see but in your window there are people walking by every day that probably have a look at what you are doing. A lot of them won't be clients, a lot will just be people who take an interest but you can bet if they do and they hear of someone getting married they are going to mention you.

Myself, I'd be a bit worried that people would start to think I haven't been able to come up with anything better in all that time. Not saying I haven't got pictures I did years ago hanging on my walls but again, I think that something on your wall inside the studio that only clients see is a lot different to what you display to the public who might go past and see it EVERY day.

Spend a few bucks and get a new picture made and change your window every 3 months or so. Keep your presentations interesting and people looking.

You wouldn't keep putting the same pic in your blog, why have the same pic in your window for so long?
Keep raising the bar so your competition can't copy you because they can't keep up!

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Both photos are pretty uninspired. Im sorry. Much of my work
Is uninspired so dont take it personal. What I mean to say is, the dracula pose as I call it has been around longer then both of us.

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Yeah....
Perhaps the picture isn't as original as you might think Jamie.
There seem to be a few versions of it I can find pretty easy.....

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=picture+of+groom+dipping+bride+back&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj68ZD8qvDPAhXoxFQKHRa9AGEQsAQIHA&biw=1536&bih=794#tbm=isch&q=groom+dipping+bride+

The colour balance of your pic makes it look old and dated to me well beyond it's years.
I think time for something new and inspired.... Even if it is only 1 yo! :0)

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:56 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Its just a dip, you can hardly claim originality for that!

In both shots the bride looks a little uncomfortable to me, too much of a dip maybe.

I prefer the lighting of yours. It is perhaps a little old school as g. says, but I prefer a little old school compared to the pseudo- reportage over-thought over-executed we so often see.

I don't think your crop of your friend's shot does it justice, it really shines when viewed in its context. If he corrected the converging verticals it would be even better.

Reminds me of a shot I took years ago of a couple on a old bridge with their venue in the background. I was convinced a local photographer had copied me until I looked at his exif data and found he;d shot it a whole year before my version. Whoops!

Pete

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:13 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Well this is funny. Local photographer just posted an image he did with this same pose. 😁

Edited on Oct 24, 2016 at 09:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:17 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Guys don't like dips. I want to get in the head of the bride who sees a dip shot and gets excited. I want to see what goes off in her head and why they like it. Then I want to start doing more of that.

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:32 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

There are very few "original" poses that can be done at this point in time. A kissing dip-whether kissing on the lips or breasts or some other place i would not think as an original pose that i would ever think-hey i came up with that and i don't want anyone else to copy or reproduce it. Both of the examples shown are very nice. In today's society with rampant internet, social media use I get MANY seniors in particular want me to emulate poses that they find on penterest or some other sight and i'm sure this happens in wedding and other types of portrature also. I would just enjoy seeing other photographers take on the pose and move on.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

jmraso wrote:
With the crop of the image I posted I wanted to point out the pose.

This is the real image:

http://www.craftingwebs.com/menor2.jpg

Off topic but does anyone else see a shimmer or shift in the thief's image - particularly the background. To my eye it feels like a bracketed or pseudo-HDR shot wherein the layers aren't quite aligned.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:27 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Well, I am not saying the kiss/dracula shot is mine, of course not, but the particular position of the bride's head, arms hanging along with the veil, etc is what really makes me think this guy just didnt look for his own version of this famous and over done shot !

Anyway, who cares, I am not shooting it any longer unless required by the couple.

Happy shooting !

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM
tongtony

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Well, you should be glad, you are admired by him, it seems that he think you are genius, so he need to copy yours.
BTW, I think it is a pose with difficult to me
Tony from
http://www.kissprom.co.uk

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:20 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

If you didn't care, not sure why you're posting and asking our opinion. This pose is as old as Dracula himself.

As for your friend, the other photographer, why not feel good that the guy admires your work so much that he does a derivative of it. Or maybe he saw it somewhere else, and wanted to make his own version of it. Or maybe the bride or groom saw it on your window and asked him to do his version of it.

either way, I'm not sure what's to be gained or lost here.

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:36 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need your opinion. (Dead thread), thank you all

Images deleted just in case !

Thank u all for your great advice, very helpful as usual !

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password