Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · T&I - last minute change in venue

bcmusher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T&I - last minute change in venue

I am scheduled to shoot a league T&I in a week, now instead of on ice, which was done last year, they have suggested we do it upstairs in the recreational room. (they want the ice time for practice) I can handle that, now carting backgrounds, but they will not be wearing skates, just shoes. Any suggestions....maybe a banner across the feet, smoke? What you you do....don't have any control of the location. Not as happy as being on the ice which is so much easier.

Suggestions would be appreciated
Bonnie

ps wearing skates is not an option due to the floors and stairs....maybe skate guards if they have them.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:31 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T&I - last minute change in venue

Tie laces of skates together, drape them over the shoulder.

I have been looking at T&I shots for inspiration and some of the ones I like best and would like to copy are where the teams are completely out of place.

Basketball teams Photographed in front of the town hall, Football teams photographed on railway stations, Girls baseball team shot in front of a car wrecking yard.....
The pics are styled in a way that gives hem loads of visual impact and wow factor.
I'd love to get a team/ club that co-operative.

I think from your post you are looking at this the wrong way. You sound perturbed because this isn't going to be as easy as shooting them on the ice. To me that's really being selfish and missing an opportunity.

Screw the ice, I'll bet that's where every team has their pics taken. Embrace and build on the opportunity. Shake things up and do something different. You would call yourself a creative and artistic shooter wouldn't you? Well be creative and artistic already and prove it! Here's the perfect time.
Take them outside the building, put them on grass, shoot them in the rink on the seats in the spectator area.

The opportunities to do something different with a load of Wow factor are unreal.
If all you are concerned about is how easy or "uneasy" it's going to be from your own POV, bugger off and let someone else do the job with the effort and attitude the kids and parents deserve.
You are not doing the best by the kids or parent's and you are certainly not doing the best by your pocket if all you are worried about is the fact shooting it on the ice would be " easier"

You can look at it as a pain in the butt you don't get to get out of the job with minimal effort or you can dig in and put in a bit more effort and really make the pics something everyone can be proud of.

Entirely up to you.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:12 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T&I - last minute change in venue

I did a hockey T&I job a few years ago, Ice time is VERY valuable. A friend from the great white north told me if they couldn't shoot on ice, they used white plexiglass & either a hockey backdrop or green screen. I like glory's idea of being different. However, I think I'd go a locker room type background... That way you don't make it something it really isn't, just make it something they don't see very often...

Oct 23, 2016 at 05:06 PM
Ischgl99

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T&I - last minute change in venue

I coach my son's hockey team, ice time is $300/hr here and there is no chance of taking valuable practice time for photos. I am jeolous of the team pictures you are talking about, the photographer our league hires shoots against a concrete floor and cinder block wall, and some years they are actually exposed properly...

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bcmusher
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T&I - last minute change in venue

Thank you everyone for your responses, and yes I have take T&I outside of the traditional photo's. In this case, most of the teams have an on ice practice that starts right after the schedule and/or 10 minutes into the schedule. Don't have the option to go too far from the rink. It will get done and look great, new idea's are always welcome. There is no flexibility in the schedule either.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:41 AM
ThePictureGuy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T&I - last minute change in venue

Locker room sounds like a good idea....or what about outside, in front of the rink venue? Something that captures where they always play without being on the ice.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:46 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T&I - last minute change in venue

ThePictureGuy wrote:
Locker room sounds like a good idea....or what about outside, in front of the rink venue? Something that captures where they always play without being on the ice.

I agree especially with the locker room. I have seen some awesome shots done using that for a location. Wanted to use it for the T&I I did a few months ago but unfortunately was more a store room than anything and way too small.... and didn't have a single locker in it either! :0)

One talented guy here posted a while ago about his layouts and how he shoots them.
Gets the players to run along the field or under the clubhouse awning in front of him then gets the image pulled from the background and composites it from there. Doesn't care where he shoots them and does some of the nicest work I have seen.

I'd say getting away from the ice is an opportunity to do something different and set your work apart so they are more inclined to call you back next year.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · T&I - last minute change in venue

I was thinking of a locker room backdrop... That way you could use it for multiple sports and set it up rinkside.

Oct 26, 2016 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password