New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · The Homecoming

Rick Joyce
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Homecoming

This area is featured in many of my photos because it's quiet there with only the sight of coyotes roaming and hawks soaring.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:05 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Homecoming

Rick,

I kinda like this, but the pull to the BG sky tonal value and saturation seems to take us away from the title / message. I've tried to shift things around a bit to swing the pull more toward the message @ the homeward components, while striving to retain the overall vibe. Might not be to your taste / style, but hopefully it (subtle / not so subtle) illustrates a bit of what I'm referring. Could have gone more "drama" for easier illustration, but I left it a bit lesser, so the diff's might be a bit more subtle to recognize.

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Oct 22, 2016 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:43 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Homecoming

Thanks but I'm not certain what the difference is other than a slight sharpening in your version.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Homecoming

Compare how bright / cyan / blue your sky is to mine @ more muted. Also, the amount of contrast in the shadow of the tracks, and the right side of the barn.

As always, a myriad of ways you can go ... it just struck me that the sky was pulling us away from the message as titled for the comp.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

roshambo123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Homecoming

I agree with where RustyBug is coming from. I'll try to clarify by adding my rendition with dodge and burn and trying to adjust contrast so the focus is on the barn.

http://i.imgur.com/P9uWMQ6.jpg

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:42 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Homecoming

Thanks for your further work on my original but in burning the side of the barn, I feel that some of the shadow detail has been lost and, in addition, the foreground grasses, hillside and especially the sky now have what I see as "false colour."

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:58 AM
roshambo123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Homecoming

As RustyBug said, he could have gone more "drama for illustration" which was what I was doing.

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password