New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

TakenWild
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

I recently bought a Fotodiox Pro shift adapter (EOS- NEX). So after flocking the adapter and testing it on various lenses I've found it works amazing with my Zeiss CY 100mm f3.5 up to 8mm of horizontal shift (in either direction) and 10mm of vertical shift (in either direction). Tested at f11.
This just adds more flexibility to an already wonderful lens on the A7R2!

I know Kipon make such an adapter straight from CY-NEX which might have better adapter quality control. But I haven't noticed too many problems with my set-up yet.

I have tested it also on the CY 35-70mm, but this lens doesn't work out great as a shifted lens. You only get good shifts of up to 5mm at 70mm. Anything other than that and it is a waste of time, better off stitching with such a tiny gain.

My question is has anyone else found any other CY lenses that keep quality when shifted on the A7R2?

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:25 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

TakenWild wrote:
My question is has anyone else found any other CY lenses that keep quality when shifted on the A7R2?

No personal experience with a shift adapter but if you have a look at the MTF diagrams and the graph takes a steep dive near 21mm it won't be any good shifted.

So you can be quite sure that any prime <85mm won't be any good shifted, only the 21 could have some potential.

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:25 AM
TakenWild
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks! I didn't expect much on the wide end. My Canon 17 and 24 TSEs won't be out done by old glass.

In my opinion it worth getting the adapter just for Zeiss 100mm 3.5. I'm blown away how such a small lens holds up so well shifted. A great alternative to Canon's 90mm TSE if you only need shift. Going to make a nice addition shift-tilt kit!

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:55 AM
TakenWild
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

This is how much you have to crop off and still maintain that wonderful Zeiss sharpness. Cropped from 10mm of shift to 8mm on each side.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:58 AM
mirkoc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax CY 100mm 3.5 shifted on A7R2

Informative post, thanks. I see you pimped your camera with some kind of self adhesive strips. What are they for?

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password