FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

chez wrote:
Right...with his elitist "I'm a photographer because I have expensive gear" attitude.

Maybe it is because it is his job?
Maybe it is because no matter the conditions he has to come back with images that tell the story?
Maybe because he produces without excuses, on time, on budget and on target?
Maybe it is because he is a professional with experience, liability insurance, clients and a history of success when the 'decisive moment' appears?

You buy a camera - you're a photographer. You by a piano - you own a piano.

Dec 28, 2016 at 04:03 PM
chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Daniel Smith wrote:
Maybe it is because it is his job?
Maybe it is because no matter the conditions he has to come back with images that tell the story?
Maybe because he produces without excuses, on time, on budget and on target?
Maybe it is because he is a professional with experience, liability insurance, clients and a history of success when the 'decisive moment' appears?

You buy a camera - you're a photographer. You by a piano - you own a piano.

Then if he is a PRO...then he needs to deal with reality...and reality is everyone has a camera in their phone today and everyone has the same right to be there taking that photo. The guy with the expensive gear has no more right than Aunt Martha at getting the photo.

If he was a real PRO...he would have scouted out the place ahead of time and would have known there would be crowds and should have arrived earlier. What I'm seeing into the photo is an elitist attitude because he had a "real camera" and the other pions just have their iPhones and are just taking selfies where the guy with the big DSLR and $5,000 lens is shooting for a Pulitzer award.

Unfortunately...people are something "PRO'S" need to deal with...they seem to be everywhere.

Dec 29, 2016 at 01:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

this is a "vantage point" moment. we see but we do not know the whole story so we fill in the blanks with what we "feel".

when I am working and I can control the situation or have better access I will use that to get the job done. when i'm not in control I try to work it out other ways. yep to an extent I work with my environment. there are times at locations I trump even the "media mob".

Dec 29, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

I tend to summarize these situation in this way:
Photographer A (the pro) is entitled to feel annoyed for having people on his/her way.
Photographer B (the mob) are entitled to ignore him.
I think the cartoon summarizes it quite well.

Jan 12, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Yep, ran into guys like this on sidelines of Pro sports events way too often. They knew someone so got access and then got in the way of those of us who were working. They would try to say hi to players and walk into areas 'out of bounds' for those of us with media.

Many of us do have superior 'rights' to access than idiots with cameras.

Jan 15, 2017 at 05:54 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Daniel Smith wrote:
Yep, ran into guys like this on sidelines of Pro sports events way too often. They knew someone so got access and then got in the way of those of us who were working. They would try to say hi to players and walk into areas 'out of bounds' for those of us with media.

Many of us do have superior 'rights' to access than idiots with cameras.

Sure you do at private venues with restricted access. Does that cartoon look like one of these venues to you?

And as far as calling these people idiots, maybe you should be talking to the people that gave them access. Once they have access just like you, they have the same rights to be there...

Jan 15, 2017 at 07:40 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

"The most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it." — Ansel Adams.

When we have Pulitzer Prize winning photographers using iPhones then I have to believe they are a viable tool for many parts of our industry/profession. Should you be shooting a $5000 wedding with your cell phone? Maybe, but probably not. Can they be used to capture great photos that express emotions, feelings and reactions to your viewers? Most definitely. If it's the best tool or even just the one you have with you, use it. Great photogaphy is about the image, not the equipment you use to make it.

Jan 25, 2017 at 04:01 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

in the cartoon, those are not merely amateurs -- they are cheap amateurs

rich amateurs would be using Leica M10s not smartphones

Jan 25, 2017 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

henry albert
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Pavel wrote:
I vote for smiling, because the present is liberating us away from the technical and expensive to the artistic and democratic. So what if a lot of middle aged and older cling to what "was"?

Well, this old fart is clinging to what "was", because what's "now" can't get s***t on deadline at the hockey game.

p.s. Some of you guys need to get out more.

Not Taken With Smart Phone

Jan 28, 2017 at 01:59 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

DaveSPictures wrote:
He's really just trying to get to the gate which is hidden behind the crowd

OR ... there is no gate there and he just believes he is entitled to get in front of all the people who arrived earlier than he did because he's a 'professional'

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:14 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

chez wrote:
Then if he is a PRO...then he needs to deal with reality...and reality is everyone has a camera in their phone today and everyone has the same right to be there taking that photo. The guy with the expensive gear has no more right than Aunt Martha at getting the photo.

If he was a real PRO...he would have scouted out the place ahead of time and would have known there would be crowds and should have arrived earlier. What I'm seeing into the photo is an elitist attitude because he had a "real camera" and the other pions just have
...Show more

I'll be the guy was already pissed because all the good parking spots were filled with the crappy old beaters the peons drive and he had to park his Mercedes in the back corner of the lot .

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:20 AM
plnelson
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

The phone cameras are getting better and better, both in terms of dynamic range and resolution. There's a movie out now, "Tangerine", shot on an iPhone and if you check out the trailer for it, it's not too shabby.

.http://nofilmschool.com/2015/07/tangerine-sundance-iphone-5s-sean-baker-radium-cheung-interview

The other thing to keep in mind is that the technology will continue to improve to the point where the need for the professional gear will only be needed for narrow niche situations.

I'll be happy for that because, elsewhere on this forum I posted a question (with no answers as of this writing) about how to fly with pro-gear. I'm flying to Ushuaia to get on a boat to Antarctica and I booked Business Class to get the maximum carry-on weight limit of 22 pounds. But I have 25 pounds of lenses and bodies I want to bring and that's not even counting the weight of the backpack I'm putting it in or other essential carry-on items. I hope that 10 years from now I'll have a camera the size of a cell-phone to take the same shots. I'll bring two - one in each pocket, for redundancy

Feb 19, 2017 at 08:47 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

Well, this old fart is clinging to what "was", because what's "now" can't get s***t on deadline at the hockey game.

But it's only a matter of time before it will. I have 3 Samsung phones (I save my old ones because i develop Android sw for a living and like to have lots of devices and OS versions to test on) - an S3, and S5 and an S7. There is a very clear progression of both sharpness and dynamic range over that series. (my S3 is 4 years older than my S7)

There's bound to come a point - 10 years? 15 years? - where you will be able to get shots like that with a cellphone.

I took a Lois Greenfield dance photography workshop in 2001 where we spent a lot of time practicing timing - pressing the shutter at the exact moment needed to capture the exact right instant when the dancer (s) were exactly where they should be for the perfect shot. We were shooting on film with Hasselblads. Nowadays people just shoot in burst mode and pick the one they like in post.

Feb 19, 2017 at 09:27 PM
markedman
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

If you want to see more photo related comics: What The Duck

Feb 22, 2017 at 03:52 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Something to laugh at or....Cry

I don't get mad at a tree when it is in the way as I try to take a photo of a flying bird. I also don't get mad at people who are entitled to live their lives and take photos with whatever they want, or not. I'm not a pro. I occasionally shoot photos for money and consider myself "a person with a camera" at those events just like everyone else. If I miss shots, I shrug it off. I will most likely have a few hundred to go through anyway.

I agree with the statements on gear snobbery and snobbery in general. I do however, understand the frustration of someone who has done this for a living being replaced by interns with smartphones at various outlets of media, but that is the nature of the changing world.

I bet all those painters in the middle ages who had to grind up various minerals and make their own paint would scoff at people nowadays who buy mass produced paint at the store. "Its not like it used to be where you had to produce effort to get a painting done!" they may say. They certainly would scoff at photography. "You are just taking an image, not producing it! they may shout". Its all relative.

Feb 22, 2017 at 05:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password