Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Something to laugh at or....Cry
  
 
bcmusher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


So true in today's environment....
Bonnie









Oct 22, 2016 at 02:41 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


Just a sign of our times. Today...the phone delivers images that are acceptable to the general public...and there is nothing wrong with that.

What I'm seeing more is the elitism some photographers feel because of the gear they carry.



Oct 22, 2016 at 11:44 PM
Weasel_Loader
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


chez wrote:
Just a sign of our times. Today...the phone delivers images that are acceptable to the general public...and there is nothing wrong with that.

What I'm seeing more is the elitism some photographers feel because of the gear they carry.


My feelings exactly. One must adapt and set your photos apart from parents shooting their Costco special DSLRs and iPhones.




Oct 24, 2016 at 08:52 PM
DaveSPictures
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


He's really just trying to get to the gate which is hidden behind the crowd


Oct 25, 2016 at 09:00 PM
rw11
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


We should all curse the day that 35mm film was invented for those little Leica things...


Oct 25, 2016 at 09:11 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


DaveSPictures wrote:
He's really just trying to get to the gate which is hidden behind the crowd


Right...with his elitist "I'm a photographer because I have expensive gear" attitude.



Oct 26, 2016 at 01:54 AM
glort
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


rw11 wrote:
We should all curse the day that 35mm film was invented for those little Leica things...


That day was a long time before you or I were here let along taking pictures.

At last in the days of film of any size, you had to have some clue and there was a cost deterrent factor. Now literally everyone one has a phone cam. The cameras even before 35MM took a damn sight better pictures though even if they were all in B/W.

Do you remember those shocking 110 Things?
My god, even a 6x4 print looked like total and utter garbage due to that size even being some huge magnification of the neg. Always amazed my why 126 wasn't developed to any standard.
It was just a downsizing of the very versatile and well established 6x6 format or a squared 35MM.

Rollie and minolta had some very good 110 cams but why they went with that garbage format over the far superior 126 still amazes me. then again, I remember P&S 35mm cams that had drop type loading. All you did was open the door ( or set it ajar as was more the case) drop the cassette in with teh leader the right way and the thing loaded itself.
Some clever models even wound all the film out then back into the cassette when it was exposed so when the absent minded opend the thing without rewinding, only one of the pictures they took was fogged. They were doing that a good 10 years before the end of film.

I hate and loathe phone pics with an ever growing passion.
I'm forever told how wonderful they are now and what amazing pictures can be done with them.
In the real world it's a complete load of crock. Yah, I could go shoot a wedding on a cheap arse P&S cam and get great pictures too but not everyone is capeable of understanding the camera's limits or how to compensate and get the best from them.
they just wave the things around in the dark like a magic wand and think the camera will defy the laws of physics to get a decent pic for them.


My wifes boss is leaving the company after 28 years tomorrow. My wife bought me a collection of pics to see if I could put together a collection of prints. About 100 shots, 90% of them phone pics and not a damn thing worth putting to print.

Even the shots taken last week at her farewell dinner are all pure and utter garbage!
For some reason, people have this idea that phone cameras get better pics proportionally to the less available light there is. Heard everyone up into the dimmest , darkest corner of the joint and fire away. If you can see it on the screen it must be good. Of course that tiny little LED " flash" will light up the pitch from the back seats of the stadium As I see them going off on TV all the time during the football coverage so it's got to be OK to light up half the restaurant right? You saw it go off, must have worked.

The other thing I didn't realise and questioned was WTF all the images were so damn small? Apart from the minuscule res of the old phones, My daughter informs me you can turn the res down so you get more pics on the never downloaded or backed up memory.
Of course! Should have realised shouldn't I? make them postage stamp size as well as take them in the pitch black.

This isn't the first time I have seen important moments lost due to crap phone pics. I have been asked to fix irretrievable garbage many times before. People look at you like your not the hero they thought when you can't do anything or still come up with crap despite putting wasted time and effort of every trick you can think of to salvage them.

You don't even have to have an expensive SLR today to be considered professional, just carry an actual CAMERA with you. Even a pocket P&S is getting serious these days.

A kit cam SLR makes you a super pro but also probably someone regarded as ignorant in that they just don't use a phone because everyone else using one gets great pics.....
In THEIR opinion at least!



Oct 26, 2016 at 05:13 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


Today's phone cameras are very capable of producing nice photos...especially when the vast majority end up being displayed via Facebook on other phones. It's the person behind the phone that determines how good the image will be...just like the person holding the big $5,000 DSLR determines how good those images are.

Personally the phone camera has expanded people's photography thousands fold. The vast majority if people would never carry another device with them only to take photos. Being able to capture the moment no matter where you are has expanded photography for the good. Sure the images are not award winning, but many capture the emotion of the scene and provide great memories which is the main reason people take photos.



Oct 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM
rw11
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


we should all go back to plates


that'll show 'em!



Oct 26, 2016 at 08:03 PM
rstoddard11
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


Agreed.

Just because you paid more for your gear does not give you special privileges. I saw a guy at Mesa Arch in Utah once with a tripod and timer set up at noon in the summer and tied to ask a milling around crowd of 70-100 people to "move out of his shot". He was set up at the edge of the road and literally everyone at the site would have had to get behind him. He was carrying three bodies with him and had on the standard issue photography vest.



Oct 26, 2016 at 08:14 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Pavel
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


fast backwards twenty years before and put the guy up front, telling the view-camera guy at the back - the same thing.
And notice he is a "guy"?

laugh or cry? I vote for smiling, because the present is liberating us away from the technical and expensive to the artistic and democratic. So what if a lot of middle aged and older cling to what "was"?




Oct 28, 2016 at 05:28 PM
matthewm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


I work in local government in the communications department so I take a lot of photos of ribbon cuttings, mayoral events, police department, etc. I recently did a 10am ribbon cutting ceremony with the mayor in attendance and there was a local publication photographer there (I recognized him and he's a pompous jerk) with a big Canon DSLR of some sort with a battery grip, 24-105 zoom, Stroboframe (didn't know they still made them) and a big Canon flash (no clue which one but it was massive). And on his shoulder was a big ol' camera bag full of other gear, etc.

I was using my A7II or A6000, can't remember which, and a lens (prime of some sort, most likely) and while waiting for the crew to set up behind the ribbon, he looks over at my camera and says, "Wanna compare gear?" And then laughs and proceeds to sort of shift in front of me, blocking the shot I was planning to take and starts fiddling with his flash and bracket and what not... Taking shots and chimping to see them... Typical stuff...

I flipped out my back screen, knelt down in front of him and set up my shot without the camera to my eye and captured it as I needed to for our internal needs. Before I walked away I said, "Yeah... I used to use all that big heavy stuff and then I got smart and decided to save my back and shoulders. I could have shot this with my phone or your camera or my camera or that lady over there's camera and I would get the same, usable result. But you go enjoy all that gear. I'll enjoy my shoulders when I'm 65."

You don't have to have a nice camera to take a shot that will change your or someone else's life. Remember what Chase Jarvis said... "The best camera is the one you have with you."



Nov 10, 2016 at 09:06 PM
glort
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


matthewm wrote:
Remember what Chase Jarvis said... "The best camera is the one you have with you."


Note he said what CAMERA, not what Phone!



Nov 11, 2016 at 01:04 AM
matthewm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


glort wrote:
Note he said what CAMERA, not what Phone!


Well, given that the camera is part of the phone, you are carrying a camera with you alongside your phone whether you choose to acknowledge its presence or not. And given recent improvements in camera quality on phones, and the fact that most reviews of smartphones are taken up, in major part, by talk of the camera, I'd say that a modern smartphone is as much a camera as it is a talking, texting, emailing, internet-surfing device.

And I'm sure if you caught a pivotal moment on your smartphone that USA Today wouldn't argue whether or not you were using a "Camera" or a "Phone" to capture it.



Nov 11, 2016 at 01:39 PM
Javier Munoz
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


matthewm wrote:
I work in local government in the communications department so I take a lot of photos of ribbon cuttings, mayoral events, police department, etc. I recently did a 10am ribbon cutting ceremony with the mayor in attendance and there was a local publication photographer there (I recognized him and he's a pompous jerk) with a big Canon DSLR of some sort with a battery grip, 24-105 zoom, Stroboframe (didn't know they still made them) and a big Canon flash (no clue which one but it was massive). And on his shoulder was a big ol' camera bag full of other
...Show more

Did you say all that with a toothpick in your mouth? that would have been really awesome!!!



Nov 11, 2016 at 01:43 PM
glort
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


matthewm wrote:
And given recent improvements in camera quality on phones,


Yeah, that's what I have been hearing for some years now. Phone cameras are so great, they can do this and that and are as good as real camera's and .....

Yet what I have seen and people have handed to me is absolute, inarguable crap. Time and time and time again. Dark, grainy, distant, off centre, blurred..... and they are the better ones.

Yes, the camera in these things may be good but if nothing else, the mentality people have with them and the way they use them is garbage.
OTOH, the pics people give me for slide shows and to print and other things that they took on a P&S or other real ( non phone) are miles better over all.

Now before everyone gets pissy again about how great the camera's in phones are, recognise my point. It's not the cameras that I'm criticising per se, its what people produce with them.

In my observation a phone pic has much less care give to it than when people use a P&S camera. Phone tends to be whip it out, wave it round, fire away, she'll be right mate.
It' seems the very act of taking a photo on a camera seems to automatically instil more importance and care in people than they ever seem to take on a phone. Phone pics seem to have very little importance paid to them other than fast and convenient. Give people a real camera and they put far more effort into it because they automatically seem to recognise that taking a pic is something to take a modicum of care with.

I hate it when people give me a phone and ask me to take a picture. Firstly I can't even see the stupid screen in sunlight. Then the button on the thing makes me have to hold the thing where I am either holding it in such a way I am fearful of dropping the thing due to the awkard way they have to be held or I'm partially blocking the picture, taking 20 pcs or otherwise completely uncomfortable with it. And WTF is it that people seem to insist that I should take a group shot of 10 people, and everything else, in the portrait format. They wouldn't so that on a camera for a start.

We make so much fuss about the gear having to be right and afford us every convince and luxury so we can get the best shot yet by concentrating on the picture yet we have this hypocrisy that phones are wonderful image capture devices.

Yes, If a news worthy event occurs in front of you and all you have is a phone, use it. But try not to wave the bloody thing round like a magic wand, try to take pictures where there is some light, try to put some effort into the basics like framing and holding the thing still as you would a real camera.

If you go out thinking you are going to take photos but you won't need a camera because you have a phone, good luck with those all important memories. Who knows? Some people might even download and save them on their computer or other half secure medium.

If phones are as great as so many champion, why do they then buy camera's and piss and moan about what brand, model or lens is the best and therefore the only one worth having?




Nov 11, 2016 at 04:36 PM
matthewm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


I think you said it best in your fourth paragraph... it's not the gear as much as how you use it. That goes for a camera as well as a pro DSLR.


Nov 11, 2016 at 08:32 PM
matthewm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


Javier Munoz wrote:
Did you say all that with a toothpick in your mouth? that would have been really awesome!!!


Nah... I'm not much good with toothpicks. I usually end up stabbing the roof of my mouth or doing something dumb.



Nov 11, 2016 at 08:33 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


chez wrote:
Right...with his elitist "I'm a photographer because I have expensive gear" attitude.


Or he actually is a professional photographer, trying to carry out an assignment, and all of the idiots who think they are photographers because their phones take pictures, are keeping him from doing his work...



Dec 26, 2016 at 05:56 PM
c.d.embrey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Something to laugh at or....Cry


Pavel wrote:
laugh or cry? I vote for smiling, because the present is liberating us away from the technical and expensive to the artistic and democratic. So what if a lot of middle aged and older cling to what "was"?



I'm over three quarters of a century old, but I'm not an old fuddy-duddy like many of the young'uns Like it or not time marches on.


Edited on Dec 29, 2016 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions



Dec 26, 2016 at 09:43 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password