Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Insurance for Sports Photography?

la puffin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

State Farm rescinded my photography business coverage because of the "higher risk of property damage associated with sports photography". The agent wasn't able to elaborate more, blaming it on the underwriter.

Who are people using for photo business policies covering sports photography? I need the standard $1M liability, equipment coverage, etc... I know there's a sticky in the Pro Digital forum, but I'd like to avoid this situation with other companies. Searching this forum, I only saw one thread, and it was regarding Hill & Usher and an extra $250 charge for "non-contributory verbiage" for a road track event. Ouch.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:02 AM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

I have Hill & Usher. I'm pretty sure that they asked what sort of photography I do and I certainly would have answered sports.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:17 AM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

I have Hill & Usher (actually Hartford via Hill & Usher). I'm pretty sure that they asked what sort of photography I do and I certainly would have answered sports.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:17 AM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

I've received a quote from them, as well as TCP and RV Nuccio. Hill and Usher were in the middle and seem pretty comprehensible. I'm going to call them on Monday and go over the coverage.

Thanks, Bob. Great work on your website too.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:48 AM
some_film

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

bpalermini wrote:
I have Hill & Usher (actually Hartford via Hill & Usher). I'm pretty sure that they asked what sort of photography I do and I certainly would have answered sports.

I have the same. Two things I liked about their policy were replacement cost, and an absence of frustrating exclusions and limitations. Mine also includes Errors & Omissions, and liability coverage extended to an assistant when I have one. I think those were all included in the basic policy, and weren't add-ons. But I've never had a claim, and that's when I think you find out about your insurance company.

PetaPixel had an article about insurance last year.

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/02/5-insurance-options-for-protecting-your-business-and-gear-as-a-photographer/

Please let us know what you decide.

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:45 AM
leewoolery
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

My business policy is very thorough and is through Auto Owners and covers the studio, equipment, rentals, errors and omissions plus 2 million in liability.

It costs me $ 600.00 per year but I wouldn't conduct business without the insurance.

I have known my agent for years and sat down with her and explained what exactly I needed and they took care of it but when I first started, I had an awful time finding somebody to insure me due to the liability of just starting a new business.

I do like having an agent locally in case I have questions or need to amend my policy.

Good luck with your search.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:51 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

If you want to lower your preimums often by a significant amount, take a higher excess.

If they give you a say $500 excess, ask them what the premium will be if you say take on $1000 excess. It's bugger all difference to cover yourself but with my policys, I make that back in 3 years saving on the premium anyway.

If you can afford 1500 or 2K which is still peanuts, your premium will drop more.

I'm not worried about the $1000 or even $5K claim. I wouldn't need insurance if that's all I could be held accountable for. That I can cover out of my own pocket. It's the 50 and 100K + potential thats going to impact my way of life so taking on a piddly bit more excess risk is not a concern that worries me in the slightest but does benefit me a lot long term.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

la puffin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

Great info - thank you. TCP is ~$200/yr higher and offers $2M/$4M in general liability vs. $1M/$2M for H&U. The latter including E&O, which as a realtor, I know is a big piece of mind.

Has anyone dealt with a liability claim?

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:34 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

Allstate will be ablle To do it too.
They were cheaper than the normal photos insurers, didn't have exclusions, didn't preclude you from personal use coverage. The only thing they didn't include was international business travel.

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:31 AM
amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

Did you have to schedule your gear and prove what you paid for them originally? What about replacement cost? If you had a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 version 1 that was stolen, what would they replace it with or did you have an agreed value or each item? Thanks

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

I would like to suggest joining PPA. Among the many member benefits is free equipment insurance as well as the opportunity to purchase at a very competitive rate a better coverage policy than the free version. Besides the equipment insurance, PPA also offers business liability insurance, medical/dental insurance and disability insurance, all at advantageous prices. Several years ago, I price-shopped carefully and found the PPA policies (business liability and equipment) to be the cheapest as well as the most extensive coverage I could find. Regarding the equipment coverage: If for instance, you value a lens at $1000.00 and it is a total loss, they will cover for $1000.00 minus the deductible ($250.00). The issue of depreciation does not enter the equation. Incidentally, PPA also has coverage for data loss and will provide legal assistance in the event that something goes wrong that is generally considered your responsibility, such as equipment malfunction, an error or unsatisfied clients (like the infamous Bridezilla). There are numerous other benefits and perks to the membership.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:26 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

Following up, I went with Hill & Usher. I upped the Liability to $2M/$4M and it's not much of a cost increase. I called them with a few questions/concerns and they helped me with them.

I'll look into PPA for the future, but I needed coverage for right now.

Oct 26, 2016 at 08:40 PM
mikephotos23

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

Appreciate all of the suggestions and information posted, I'm filling out the quote request with Hill & Usher now, need coverage for the upcoming local HS BB season.

Nov 07, 2016 at 06:28 PM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Insurance for Sports Photography?

I contacted LensRental.com about submitting a copy of my insurance for renting. It turns out H&U had already sent it to them.

Nov 07, 2016 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password