FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

CRFTony
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

I have a wedding coming up that I'm already struggling with. The groom is 40, the bride mid 50s. They're both quite reserved and don't want many posed photos aside from the traditional formals. No posed outdoor photos, just a church ceremony and a traditional reception. Any thoughts on how to find a "wow" factor here? This is so different from the other weddings I've photographed.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:15 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

I've had a few of these and have another coming up soon. In my experience, the receptions for weddings like these tend to be pretty different as well. More of an extended cocktail hour and less of a dance. For me, it is a challenge as well. The best I know to do is strive for really good PJ coverage and focus on the basics of making good images. In a way, it takes some of the options out of the formula from a regular wedding and sometimes the added constraints are nice from a creative perspective.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:39 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

I'm pretty sure they don't expect or care about the type of 'wow factor' images you have in mind as being important. I suppose it's relevant how you market and sell yourself, of course.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:10 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

One word. Documentary.

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

make the WOW in the documentary. No need for posing/set up to get a wow-factor.

heiko

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:50 AM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The groom was actually a good friend of mine growing up. I was planning on a mostly documentary style (aside from the tons of "altar shots" they want), I just hope there's enough going on and enough emotion to get great images. The bride especially is super reserved (bordering on cold) and that's where my doubts creep in, haha.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:56 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Older, reserved couple, seeking advice

The WOW factor for them is getting what they want which in my experience with these job is simple, fuss free, Nice, basic, elegant pictures of them and their immediate family and friends.

If they wanted wow factor like you are thinking, they no doubt have the means at this point in their lives to make it happen. The fact they want low key needs to be respected and you to come to terms with the fact there may be no wow factor at all in the way you think/ want. Sometimes doing less is doing more.

My guess is the reception will likely be for 30 -50 people, all close friends and family and they just want quiet and dignified.
You may find the event quiet and boring but to them, they might think of it as calm and dignified... which is exactly what they may have put effort into creating.
I suggest if you aren't sure what you need to do for them, you need to talk to them some more and find out to get on their wave length!

In any event, stop worrying about what you are going to do and think more about what they want.

If they have been married before which is likely, they have done all the BS with the big wedding and expensive thereafter useless dresses and a stack of attendants etc.
They are not in their '20s any more and their ideas and what makes them happy have changed. Don't try and shoot it like a 20 something wedding and don't worry about what you are going to be able to put in your blog or whatever.

Not having a wow factor may well be exactly what they are hoping for. Many 2nd/3rd timers don't want any attention, they just want to mark the occasion quietly with family and friends.

Just do a nice,easy straightforward shoot of the day as it happens and them as they are and be happy with that unless they tell you they want different. :0)

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password