New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

akjackson1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

I could really use some expert feedback. I recently acquired a used 500 f4 VR G.
To set the stage, I also own the 200-500 VR, and just sold the 70-200 VR II earlier this year, so it's not my first experience with expensive (ish) glass.

With the 500 f4, I'm finding it almost impossible to produce a really sharp image with it, especially with the TC-14E II. I'm on a solid tripod with gimbal head, VR tripod mode (also tried off), mostly high shutter speeds, and IMO good long lens technique. The sharpness isn't horrible, but it's not as good as my 200-500 (even with the 1.4x), and IMO, not adequate for top-notch birds images.

The images just feel slightly "smudged". At first glance, it looks a little like motion blur but appears to be present in all images regardless of any effort to improve stability and shutter speed.

Maybe I'm too picky, but I don't think it's normal to feel frustrated with sharpness every time I use a $4000 piece of glass

Full resolution images:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e87qh2daqcu14hg/AACRiz7FppCVYwPKafwK9KT9a?dl=0

So, thoughts?

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:57 PM
akjackson1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Honestly, if my 200-500 had bokeh like the 500 f4, it would be a no-brainer. The 500 f4 would be gone in a heartbeat... From what I've read, that's not how most other people feel who own both.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:00 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

I have both lenses. The 200-500 cannot compare in any respect to the 500 f4. If yours does, as to sharpness or otherwise, there is a problem with the lens.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Soft pictures even you are using a very fast shooting speed (1/5000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 800) so camera/tripod shake is not the one to blame.

I see some weird sharp area only on the middle of the frame.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:21 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Hard to say what the problem is here, if any. A couple of distant birds in dim light and what appears to be random shrubbery ... I don't think you can draw any conclusions about lens or TC performance from these images.

As for the bare glass, image quality is more or less interchangeable for my copies; they're both excellent workhorses. I shoot mostly handheld, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about long lens technique. Point, shoot, done - that's about it for me.

Stockenten by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

american black duck by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

Reh by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

that's one hairy beaver! by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

short-eared owl by Christian Hunold, on Flickr

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:40 PM
Don Ferrario
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Images that appear smudged are a sign that one of the elements is out of alignment. I would send it to Nikon along with sample images showing the problem. Probably not what you want to hear, but there's no point in owning a lens that costs as much as a good used car, and not be happy about its performance.

I had a 500/4afs and now 500/4VR. Both are excellent.

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:42 PM
some_film

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Try setting up and shooting a static subject with both lenses (at 500mm, matching apertures and shutter speed), so you can control lighting and exposure, and compare the same shot. You can try focusing in live view. If you're relying on AF, it's helpful if your test subject has some kind of grading or scale running in the foreground and background, so you can judge for AF errors. I have a large flat cardboard panel with a large type logo and small printing, which I set at 45-degrees. Ditch the TC to start with, it's another variable and going to confound the results.

akjackson1 wrote:
I could really use some expert feedback. I recently acquired a used 500 f4 VR G.
To set the stage, I also own the 200-500 VR, and just sold the 70-200 VR II earlier this year, so it's not my first experience with expensive (ish) glass.

With the 500 f4, I'm finding it almost impossible to produce a really sharp image with it, especially with the TC-14E II. I'm on a solid tripod with gimbal head, VR tripod mode (also tried off), mostly high shutter speeds, and IMO good long lens technique. The sharpness isn't horrible, but it's not as good as
...Show more

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

I agree that the lens should be tested using live view, tripod, etc just to be sure.

That said...

Based on the images you've posted, there is something severely wrong with that lens. I've had 500mm lenses from both Nikon and Canon, 300 2.8s, a 200-400, a couple 300 F4s, and a 600mm (so I kinda know my long glass ) and I've never experienced anything like what your images show. I'd send it back if it's possible, otherwise I'd send it off for repair.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:19 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

My sigma 150-600 sports is better! There is deffinitively a problem with your glass if you were using a good tripod/gimball head and high shuteer speed. They look awfully soft.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

You got hosed, that's a BAD copy.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:13 AM
akjackson1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Thanks for weighing in trenchmonkey, and everyone else for your feedback. Really appreciate it. Do you think this is something Nikon can fix? Or is it just a lemon that will never be perfect?

I bought it from KEH and it's still under their 6 month warranty period so I'll see what I can do. I'm just a little afraid that KEH/Nikon may tinker with it, but never really get it up to scratch.

trenchmonkey wrote:
You got hosed, that's a BAD copy.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:19 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

akjackson1 wrote:
Thanks for weighing in trenchmonkey, and everyone else for your feedback. Really appreciate it. Do you think this is something Nikon can fix? Or is it just a lemon that will never be perfect?

I bought it from KEH and it's still under their 6 month warranty period so I'll see what I can do. I'm just a little afraid that KEH/Nikon may tinker with it, but never really get it up to scratch.

KEH also has a 14 day return policy, so if you may be able to return it for a refund.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:24 AM
akjackson1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Unfortunately I'm long past the 14 days, I kept thinking it was user error, or focus calibration, but obviously made no headway.

Steve Perry wrote:
KEH also has a 14 day return policy, so if you may be able to return it for a refund.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:26 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Hey, Adam...this is good news (vs. being stuck with a lemon and no warranty)
KEH will make it right, it's unfortunate you'll have to go thru sending it back etc. GL

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:35 AM
Blutengelnouta

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

I bought a Sigma 500/4.5 APO (the oldest version that looks different from current ones, not DG or EX) at the same time as I had the Tamron 150-600. The Tamron's IQ was simply better in almost every way. I also often felt that the pictures was kind of smudged somehow with the Sigma. Stopped down to F6.3 it was perhaps slightly slightly better than the Tamron wide open at F6.3, but stopping down both the Tamron was much superior. I did lots of fair testing and concluded that it was no point owning the Sigma compared to the Tamron. Perhaps one of the elements was misaligned in that one too, or perhaps it was because of age+old Sigma. The new Sigma 500/4.5 is supposedly great though.

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:15 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

For sure contact KEH and get an RMA and start a history. KEH has a very good reputation. Fortunately, you have a stable and serious problem. Just think if you had no warrantee and an intermittent subtle problem.

Likely KEH will send it to Nikon who are experts and the only people with parts. Relax, our photographic equipment requires repair occasionally just like and auto or other stuff.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Sucks: Pretty sure you got a lemon
Smiles: Bought from KEH, they will refund or make it right.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

I'm not so sure there's a problem with the lens.

The images in good light didn't look all that bad on my 5k monitor. The birds were obviously shot in poor light -- can't draw any conclusions from those.

There's no EXIF...need exposure info. What camera are you using? ISO looks high.

Did you fine-tune the TC? The 500G is notorious for requiring very high adjustments for the TC14II/III in the +5-20 range.

Suggest more testing before drawing any conclusions -- leave the TC in the bag for now.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Yes, get a test chart and optimize the AF first (separately with and without a TC). However, I would not be surprised if a used lens has an issue that can be improved by Nikon.

EBH

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:14 PM
akjackson1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 500 f4 sharpness frustration

Honestly, I'm quite mystified. I did some further, very controlled, testing this evening and found the sharpness to be about equal, or slightly better, than my 200-500. One factor I'm wondering about... Is there any possibility that the Southern California 90-100ºF weather could be causing something to distort slightly inside the lens, and thus mess with the sharpness? Probably a whacky idea, but thought I'd at least hypothesize.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.