New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

level1photog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

I'm planning to go to Zion near Thanksgiving from Las Vegas. I only have a full day and would like to visit most place accessible to car or short walk. Can anyone recommend some places to see and photograph? I'm planning to do the scenic drive.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:21 PM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

just a reminder.....sun rises about 7am and the sun sets around 5pm in late Nov. and keep in mind the 1 hour time difference between Nevada and Utah

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:04 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

I'd think you'd have to play it somewhat by ear with weather and water conditions. The canyon scenic drive info says shuttles run weekends in November but I'm not sure if that would include the Thursday/Friday of the Thanksgiving holiday period or not. Along with the scenic drive (shuttle or not) up the upper part of the canyon, I'd certainly also want to continue up through the tunnel to see some of the upper areas of the park, near Checkerboard Mesa and along the road there. Some easily accessible areas right off the road for scrambling in some of the canyons.

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Thank you for the tips

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:26 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

last year the shuttle ran through the first weekend of November. This year has seen record numbers - Labor Day weekend usually starts to slow down, but they stated that 85,000 people visited that weekend.

I would think by Thanksgiving, things will be "normal". There shouldn't be a shuttle, BUT can still be busy. All the lodges and good restaurants in Springdale are booked. Snow shouldn't be a huge problem, but the east entrance can close at any time.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Dustin Gent wrote:
last year the shuttle ran through the first weekend of November. This year has seen record numbers - Labor Day weekend usually starts to slow down, but they stated that 85,000 people visited that weekend.

I would think by Thanksgiving, things will be "normal". There shouldn't be a shuttle, BUT can still be busy. All the lodges and good restaurants in Springdale are booked. Snow shouldn't be a huge problem, but the east entrance can close at any time.

Thanks! Hopefully I can go do the Scenic Drive and see some Fall color by then.

Oct 23, 2016 at 02:57 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

there will probably be some fall color left, however it is peaking very soon. I saw a picture posted from a Facebook group "Hiking in Utah" and it looks near peak at the Watchman.

I will be there next week doing the subway and narrows and such, so i can report back the colors if you want.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:43 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Dustin Gent wrote:
there will probably be some fall color left, however it is peaking very soon. I saw a picture posted from a Facebook group "Hiking in Utah" and it looks near peak at the Watchman.

I will be there next week doing the subway and narrows and such, so i can report back the colors if you want.

That would be great! I'm going a week before Thanksgiving. Some is enough for me.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:53 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

There are a few places along the Virgin River Gorge that might be worthy of a stop in search of late-season Cottonwoods changing color.

Try Cedar Pocket
https://goo.gl/maps/ZoMmVQaMKqu

Or park here and try hiking down to the river?
https://goo.gl/maps/wvmHnEit7Ju

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:15 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

1) was at zion in the 2nd wk of nov last yr; shuttles was running and no povs into the canyon.

2) check the park for shuttle schedules.

3) crowds were a madhouse. all iconic locations w/in walking distances are crowded during good lightings.

4) if you want shots w/out the crowds, stay away from the valley or take hike of the beaten path. since time is limited, i would suggest stay on top and visit the east side which does not attract too much foot traffics. may get lucky and catch glimpses of big horns and other wildlife.

5) i would also suggest bypassing zion and hit bryce (about another + hour north from zion). foot traffics are sparse, hiking trails vary into the valley below are of various distances from short to long and provide closer opportunities to rock formations.
and if you are lucky, a snow storm will come in and add another elements to the intriguing rock formations.

good luck and safe trip!

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:18 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Thanks for the tip!

Do you think it's possible to leave early from Vegas go to Zion with some stops here and there (no hiking) and go to Bryce by sunset?

tntcorp wrote:
1) was at zion in the 2nd wk of nov last yr; shuttles was running and no povs into the canyon.

2) check the park for shuttle schedules.

3) crowds were a madhouse. all iconic locations w/in walking distances are crowded during good lightings.

4) if you want shots w/out the crowds, stay away from the valley or take hike of the beaten path. since time is limited, i would suggest stay on top and visit the east side which does not attract too much foot traffics. may get lucky and catch glimpses of big horns and other wildlife.

5) i would
...Show more

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

level1photog wrote:
Thanks for the tip!
Do you think it's possible to leave early from Vegas go to Zion with some stops here and there (no hiking) and go to Bryce by sunset?

Sure, if you don't mind spending the entire day sitting in the dumb car.

If you absolutely "need" to add something more than the grandeur of Zion to your trip, I'd suggest you investigate Yant Flat or Snow Canyon State Park as much more accessible alternatives wasting 2+ hours getting to Bryce. Or check out one of the slot canyons near Carmel Junction. (See the recent thread in this forum.)

Oct 31, 2016 at 04:27 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

sunset may be around ~6-6:30pm at the latest in november. given limited time, you will be in a rush to chase sunset at Bryce.

be sure to monitor weather forecasts for road conditions should you plan to head north.

utah has so many beautiful locations, known and not so well-known, to visit that one may ended up be overwhelmed trying to cover everything.

for me, i usually focus on one location to be able to slow down, appreciate the views, and capture wall-hanging images as well.

greg campbell suggestions of snow canyon state park seemed like a good idea. it is much closer and there are lookouts you can pull over to take photos. imho, utah state parks are underrated b/c of the well-known national parks.

btw, even if you stay in the car and just drive through utah off the main insterstate 15, you will find many scenic views to enjoy.

level1photog wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

Nov 01, 2016 at 08:48 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

tntcorp wrote:
sunset may be around ~6-6:30pm at the latest in november. given limited time, you will be in a rush to chase sunset at Bryce.

Most people might be more interested in sunrise at Bryce, given that the iconic geology faces east and that the areas facing west are more or less flat and varying between forest and meadows.

If you must, get up extremely early and spend a day in Zion, leaving Bryce for another trip.

Dan

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:29 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

visiting zion in november reminded me of central park in the summer time. :-)

also, compare to other nps, the smaller size of zion doesn't help to mitigate the impression of a large population of visitor :-)

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:43 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Thank you guys for all the tips. I think spending the entire day at Zion is the most I time I can do. I'm driving alot of people and we wanted to do something different than what we normally do in Vegas. We went to Valley of Fire and they really enjoyed it. This will be no different.

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:55 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

Have you looked at the Kolob Canyon area? It's a faster drive and will offer a lot of the same scenery with much smaller crowds (technically it is in Zion National Park but is just more isolated than the main Scenic Drive), plus, you might be able to get a few short hikes in and watch the sunset.

Nov 01, 2016 at 03:52 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

No I haven't. I'm going with alot of elderly people that can't do hikes. I prefer them to see as much scenery without much strenuous activity.

I was looking into hiking to the entrance of the Narrows and Riverside Walk. Is that a short and easy hikes for pregnant and elderly people?

Kolob looks beautiful. I might do the Scenic Drive and this. Thanks!

Nov 01, 2016 at 04:46 PM
JSecord
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

level1photog wrote:
No I haven't. I'm going with alot of elderly people that can't do hikes. I prefer them to see as much scenery without much strenuous activity.

I was looking into hiking to the entrance of the Narrows and Riverside Walk. Is that a short and easy hikes for pregnant and elderly people?

Kolob looks beautiful. I might do the Scenic Drive and this. Thanks!

I'm in Zion now, definitely check out Kolob if you get a chance! Even just driving up to the top is incredible and you won't regret taking the trip up. The Riverside Walk is pretty easy, all concrete and flat walkways, and it's a nice stroll. Plus that'd give you an excuse to ride the shuttle through the entire park and see the canyon. Also a drive through the tunnel over to the east side of the park is great, very interesting over there.

Nov 01, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zion National Park from Las Vegas

level1photog wrote:
No I haven't. I'm going with a lot of elderly people that can't do hikes. I prefer them to see as much scenery without much strenuous activity.

Ah!

In that case, Bryce does make sense. Most of the overlooks are a very short distance from the parking lot.

I'll also mention Snow Canyon again. It's a small, pretty "drive-through," with a number of short hikes over fairly level terrain. Jenny Canyon is a very easy stroll to a pretty slot.

Nov 02, 2016 at 03:20 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.