Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

top body or top lenses?

yordanrhapsody

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · top body or top lenses?

hi everybody, I have something like 4500 (sold some gear) and I need to buy a second body and some lens, help me please

Now I have a Nikon D750 and just sold a D600 (I don't like white balance, exposure metering and AF) and for lenses I have Sigma 24/1.4 ART - Nikon 105 Micro 2.8 VR AFS - tamron 70-200 2.8 VC - nikon 50 1.8G - Samyang 12/2.8 fisheye and nikon 35-70 2.8 AFD

I need another body (I do weddings and sport) and few more lenses

I absolutely need a fast 35 and 85 and if possible something with character

for the body I have two solutions, a brand new d750, a light used d810 (both I can find at 1700-1800) or a friend is selling a d4s with 400000 shots at 3000 with shutter mechanism replaced or 400 less without the work.

With the first solution I will have a more money for lenses, for example I can buy

Nikon 35 1.4G and Nikon 85 1.4G (or buy Sigma 35 ART and Nikon 85 1.8G and a 24-70)

if I buy the d4s I can only take sigma 35 and nikon 85 1.8 but nothing more

I never tried nikons 1.4G lenses, what do you think? I'm curious about the 58/1.4G too but only if I can find one used

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:07 AM
azenis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · top body or top lenses?

I'd go for lens. the D750 is still highly capable. If sport/wedding is in plan, I'd get the d500 so you have D750 for wide coverage and D500 for the reach.

58G or even the new 105 F1.4E would be an incredible addition. They have amazing renderings although absolute sharpness is lacking. So, great for wedding, not so much for sport (where you'd look for sharpness as well as AF speed)

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:31 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · top body or top lenses?

You said you are shooting weddings now, that means you have been shooting with your current lens set up. The most important thing as a wedding shooter is having a second body, and the only body that would make practical sense is another D750 so that all of your images are the same size, etc between your two bodies.

As time goes on, then look to get the faster more expensive lens you are looking for. But in your situation, since you already own lenses you are using, get that backup body first. There is no thinking involved here with that choice.

Jim

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:43 AM
yordanrhapsody

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · top body or top lenses?

I previously worked with Canon gear, I had 5d3 1d3 and 7d2 plus many lenses
almost everything was stolen during an event few months ago
I then decide to buy nikon because of lower body prices, in camera crop and more DR
I now have one d750 but I really miss a fast 35mm and a good portrait prime
I don't know which one to buy between nikon and sigma 35 1.4, tough decision with 85mm, where the cheaper 85 1.8G may be a good solution leaving money to buy another lens
maybe sigma 35 - nikon 85 1.4 D - nikon 58? this can be a good trinity within my budget

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:10 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · top body or top lenses?

I'd also vote for another D750 so that your secondary body is the same as the primary and switching between the two will be seamless. Lenses are such a subjective thing, so that'd be up to you how you fill out the rest of your kit.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:25 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · top body or top lenses?

The D750 and your choice of 35 / 85 should work well. I have the D750 along with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G and the 85mm f/1.8 G lenses. Both of these lenses are great on the D750. I tried the Sigma 35, but the focus was inconsistent. I would also consider the Tamron 35 / 85 VC options.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:40 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · top body or top lenses?

Most people are concentrating on the wedding aspect of your post - and if you are a working pro so should you. And go with the used 810.

However thinking of the sports angle 4.5k could also get you a D500 and 200-500 (excellent lens and very good AF on the D500 since these were specifically matched by Nikon) to add to your 70-200. And still leave you plenty for a pair of 35/85G lenses. Also I tend to buy Used nowadays and find my money goes much further and I lose less when selling at a later date. In fact you could get close to adding the used 810 to that lot too !

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:30 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · top body or top lenses?

yordanrhapsody wrote:
I previously worked with Canon gear, I had 5d3 1d3 and 7d2 plus many lenses
almost everything was stolen during an event few months ago
I then decide to buy nikon because of lower body prices, in camera crop and more DR
I now have one d750 but I really miss a fast 35mm and a good portrait prime
I don't know which one to buy between nikon and sigma 35 1.4, tough decision with 85mm, where the cheaper 85 1.8G may be a good solution leaving money to buy another lens
maybe sigma 35 - nikon 85 1.4 D - nikon 58? this can
...Show more

35/58/85 are good lenses, but the focal lengths are actually really close together. I like the 35/85 a lot personally, but 50-ish anything ends up being too close to 85 or 35 in my mind. If you're really interested in getting the 58, I've heard a few shooters really happy using the 24/28 f/1.8g along with the 58 f/1.4g and new 105 f/1.4.

As far as bodies go, how are you liking your D750? In so many ways, it is the closest thing Nikon makes to a mid-range jack-of-all-trades and thus solid wedding camera. There are other options and shortcomings at times, but it is popular amongst wedding shooters for a reason.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

yordanrhapsody

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · top body or top lenses?

d750 is a really solid camera
from a wedding photographer point of view I'd like a quieter shutter sound (really loud and the quiet mode is a bad joke), AF points are not spread enough for me, that stupid eyepiece came off every time I picked the camera from the bag until I lost it, buffer is limited to a handful of raws (not really wedding territory), maybe a better construction (I mean, the camera is solid, but when you compare to a D810, or my old 5D3, it seems cheaper.
strong points are: very good sensor, plenty of resolution, huge DR to play with, top high iso, very good white balance for a nikon, very good AF (with the above limiting factor) even in low light, light body (the other side of the cheapness)

coming back to my question, with canon I loved to work with 20/2.8 - 35/1.4 - 85/1.8 - 135/2 (almost 70% of total images where from the 35)

so the only lens where I don't accept compromises is the 35, I absolutely want the best 35mm available at the moment, but which one?

about 58 I read everything and it's contrary. It's clear that it isn't the sharpest lens (I don't mind as long as it's reasonably sharp - it will be used only for portraits) and is overpriced, but someone says it has a magic rendering, others say that the magic is only in the eyes of nikon fanatics... I need to try out one on my own I suppose.

about 85... 1.8G? 1.4D? 1.4G? old sigma? new sigma ART (huuuuuge)? stretch to 105/1.4 (although it is a bit on the long - and expensive - side)

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:10 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · top body or top lenses?

My D750 eyepiece has never come off unintentionally. I have the 20, 35, 85 f/1.8 G lenses so I agree with your choice of focal lengths. I would recommend the f/1.8 G lenses at 20 and 85, but if you are looking for the best 35, I assume you want an f/1.4, so it comes down to the 35 f/1.4 G or Sigma 35 Art, although the AF might not be as reliable on the Sigma (which was my experience).

If you don't need f/1.4, then the 35 f/1.8 G (FX version) or the Tamron 35 f/1.8 VC are both worth considering. I think the 35 f/1.8 G is an underrated lens. It is very sharp and I like the rendering, plus it is very lightweight and works well on the D750 if you are going to be carrying it all day. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices.

As a previous Canon user, I loved the 135 L. However, I don't think Nikon has a direct replacement other than the 135 DC, which apparently may not be at the same level as the Canon. When I switched to Nikon with the D750, I opted for a Tarmon 70-200 f/2.8 VC instead. A 70-200 also makes a good choice for wedding ceremonies and gives more versatility than the beloved 135 L.

Edited on Oct 22, 2016 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:55 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · top body or top lenses?

Lens every time. Even the old D700, which is very cheap used, is awesome. Don't worry about body.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:24 PM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · top body or top lenses?

Seeing you have the 24mm art, go with a good 50/58.
See if you can find a refurbished D750 for around 1400 and look into the Tamron 24-70 to go with your 70-200. I will be moving to Griciano in about a month and am looking to work with photographers in the area. If you know of anyone, that would be amazing🙂
-Greg

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:01 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · top body or top lenses?

yordanrhapsody wrote:
I need another body (I do weddings and sport) and few more lenses

If you do weddings you are best off using two cameras that are the SAME. No fumbling with the controls. No messing up shots because you pushed the wrong button. No missing shots because you are trying to remember how to change settings. The color balance and "look" of the images will be the same shot to shot. All of your spare batteries will be the same. Buy another D750. Or, sell the D750 and buy two used D800/D800E (if you routinely make big enlargements.) I would skip the D810 as it really gives you nothing that a pair of D800E has. It simply costs more money. And BTW, what are you using for color management/calibration during shoots?

As for lenses, you can do 99% of a wedding with just a 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. With those you have great quality and you aren't missing shots when changing lenses. I would also add back up lenses such as 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm. My choice for this are the Sigma ART f1.4 series. Those are the best you can buy other than Zeiss Otus (which don't have autofocus and cost serious money.) An 85mm with "charecter" is the Lomo Petzval. (I'm using an 1870s Petzval 3 in. FL mounted in NIkon F for those kinds of shots.)

Kent in SD

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · top body or top lenses?

yordanrhapsody wrote:
so the only lens where I don't accept compromises is the 35, I absolutely want the best 35mm available at the moment, but which one?

After trials and researching for most of half a year, I bought the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART. It's the sharpest 35mm you can put on a Nikon. No-brainer. It or the Sigma 50m f1.4 ART are the sharpest lenses I have ever owned. (I've owned lenses made going as far back as 1845.)

DxO lab tests of Sigma vs. Nikon, Zeiss. Not even close:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Sigma-35mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Nikon-on-Nikon-D750-versus-Zeiss-Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-35mm-f14-ZF2-Nikon-on-Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-35mm-f14G-on-Nikon-D750__1057_975_391_975_405_975

Kent in SD

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:40 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · top body or top lenses?

The D750 has good Hi ISO performance. For action (read unpredictable humans in an emotional state) I would use the 24-70 F2.8 @ 2.8. Next a 70-200 F2.8 on the second, identical, body.

Things can happen so fast that there isn't even time to reach for the 2nd body you are wearing before you miss the moment. Maybe just enough time to "frame up" with the zoom your are holding. The F2.8 lens goes a long way towards having a useful DOF for more than one person's "near eye only in focus."

Yes there is a place and time for "set and wait for it" with a fast prime. For your situation I would recommend the Nikkor F1.8 series some of which are better than the F1.4 lenses. If you buy Nikkors you will good resale if you chose to make a change in the future.

I remember shooting several shots of a wedding couple, at less than a head on angle, in extremely low light. My 200mm F2.0 was wide open. I was the one of three photographer so I assigned myself as "The Rover" secure that the other two had my back for coverage.

This was the couples ultimate moment in front of the preacher. So I shot several narrow DOF shots of each and then, in Photoshop, I combined the in focus areas for the Bride and Groom. It took a very long time but this became the "Wallet" and "Mantle" shot from the output of three shooters.

However, someone has to cover everything at a wedding. High quality F 2.8 zooms with modern Hi ISO sensors (such as your FF D750) make this possible. If you have the time to change lenses for a speciality shot you will know when.

I have even covered certain events with 4 bodies. An UWA FE on a D800, 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 Zooms on D4/D4s bodies with the occasional swap to my favorite portrait lens the magic 200 mm F2.0. Of course I had the luxury of a nearby area to rest 3 of 4 bodies.

The point is I am fortunate to have a wide inventory of bodies and lenses. However, first one I pick up is the body with the 24-70-this is the lens that does 80+ percent of the work.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:01 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · top body or top lenses?

A second body of the same type and the fast lenses. You don't want to be messing around with settings and controls on two different bodies when shooting under pressure at weddings.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password