New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

ilnonno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

Dear all,

for the owners of the Sigma 24 1.4 ART: does yours feel like there's something loose inside when you shake it?
I don't mean anything like a loose fragment hitting the internals: it just feels like the internals have a tiny bit of play when shaking the lens.

I have the other ARTs, and they all feel similar, only to a lesser degree.

I ask because I got delivery of it today, and never handled a 24 art before.
The copy seems impressively sharp even wide open, and I haven't noticed any asimmetry: it looks equally sharp both left/right.

I'd just like to know if it's normal, and... reassure myself

Bests all, and thanks,
Lory

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:45 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

I've never understood why people feel compelled to shake a lens.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:07 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

trenchmonkey wrote:

Come on now, Will. We're all human. Stuff happens...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1456017/1#13770040

JHerr wrote:
I shoot a 1.4 purely for my own masturbatory self-gratification.

Oct 21, 2016 at 06:47 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

trenchmonkey wrote:

I think Armstrong can come to our collective help with this interrogative.

Man, if you to ask why we shake them, you'll never know

Bests,
Lory

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:08 AM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

Well... that's not quite the kind of shaking I had in mind...

But if you have a 24ART and care to test it by shaking it in a less provocative way, I'd still be interested in knowing whether something feels loose.

Lens has got no VR mechanism inside to account for it, so to me it's just a tiny bit weird.
It's the only one VR-less in the lenses I own that does it, and it's also the single one lens in that group of which I only handled one sample (mine) of, hence the mild worry and the curiosity.

Bests,
Lory

nolaguy wrote:
Come on now, Will. We're all human. Stuff happens...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1456017/1#13770040

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:20 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

ilnonno wrote:
But if you have a 24ART and care to test it by shaking it in a less provocative way, I'd still be interested in knowing whether something feels loose.

I hear you, Lory. I have the 35 Art but not the 24. I have noticed the type of inner "floating" sort of looseness in other lenses - e.g. my 70-200 and it caused concern, for sure. I researched and found just enough anecdotal evidence to tell myself not to worry and I now just try to avoid such movement because it does seem weird to me to feel that internal motion.

*shrug*

I'm of no use to you other than to say my impression is some lenses exhibit that characteristic and I just put my pillow over my head as I fall asleep and try not to think about it as long as the lens seems to be working.

Please let me/us know if you discover any more definitive information...

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:30 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

ilnonno wrote:
Dear all,

for the owners of the Sigma 24 1.4 ART: does yours feel like there's something loose inside when you shake it?
I don't mean anything like a loose fragment hitting the internals: it just feels like the internals have a tiny bit of play when shaking the lens.

I have the other ARTs, and they all feel similar, only to a lesser degree.

I ask because I got delivery of it today, and never handled a 24 art before.
The copy seems impressively sharp even wide open, and I haven't noticed any asimmetry: it looks equally sharp both left/right.

I'd just like to know
...Show more

If it has an electromagnetic aperture, then likely you'll hear some movement when it's not powered up. Ditto the focus system if it's a linear motor.

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:10 AM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

Hi Chuck,

not thinking about these noises is my strategy too
VR lenses make noise, as they have floating elements that (if I recall correctly) are held in place electro-magnetically once the lens is used by the body. But non-VR lenses shouldn't, I think, make any noise or almost
My 35 ART makes a tiny bit of noise of this kind. It's just that the 24ART makes more of it, giving the impression something *really* is loose.

Still, an amazing lens (and my copy seems very well centered too). I also own the 24 1.4G (am a 24mm freak), and sharpness wise there is just no comparison.
While this can be of interest to some people only (for others seem to love more the 24G rendering... I have shot them too little to compare this), what truly has shocked me is how *reliably* the 24ART focuses.
The 24G (as was the 35G) are notorious offenders in this aspect, and this is much, much welcome news to me.

If you love your 35ART, and like 24, you should give it a try

Bests, and have a nice weekend,
Lory

nolaguy wrote:
I hear you, Lory. I have the 35 Art but not the 24. I have noticed the type of inner "floating" sort of looseness in other lenses - e.g. my 70-200 and it caused concern, for sure. I researched and found just enough anecdotal evidence to tell myself not to worry and I now just try to avoid such movement because it does seem weird to me to feel that internal motion.

*shrug*

I'm of no use to you other than to say my impression is some lenses exhibit that characteristic and I just put my pillow over my head as I
...Show more

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:10 AM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

Thanks David,

no electromagnetic aperture (I think Nikon's campo only Nikon "E" lenses has those, currently).
Maybe it has a linear motor (this is more obscure to me).
Although, I surmise it should have very similar motors to the 35/50ARTs, which I own, and possibly the 24-35ART.
Not one of these three makes anything similar, hence my questioning the group.

Thanks for the hint.
Bests,
Lory

DavidBM wrote:
If it has an electromagnetic aperture, then likely you'll hear some movement when it's not powered up. Ditto the focus system if it's a linear motor.

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:12 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

You sure about no EM iris? What you say about Nikon lenses is true - but Sigma has to put an EM iris in Canon lenses, so it would make sense for them to do the same with Nikon ones, even if the aperture control ring is on the lens (the ring could be electronic)

Only guessing here, though.

ilnonno wrote:
Thanks David,

no electromagnetic aperture (I think Nikon's campo only Nikon "E" lenses has those, currently).
Maybe it has a linear motor (this is more obscure to me).
Although, I surmise it should have very similar motors to the 35/50ARTs, which I own, and possibly the 24-35ART.
Not one of these three makes anything similar, hence my questioning the group.

Thanks for the hint.
Bests,
Lory

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:54 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Quick help: Sigma 24 1.4 ART

I'm shaking my 24 art right now. Yes there is something making noise. I have no idea what it is. My guess is it is something related to the focusing mechanism.

Am I worried about it? Nope. I love my 24 art. It's better than sex... and shaking...

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.