New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Tripod Ball Head very stiff

steve_a_reno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

I have an older Manfrotto Bogen 3055 Heavy Duty Ball Head tripod mount that is getting very stiff. What can I use to lubricate/loosen up the ball joint.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

to be honest your not supposed to lubricate a ball head to begin with as it is counter productive to its functionality.

you can attempt to use some WD40 to clean it out somewhat and then wipe off. since the assy is made with Mg alloy corrosion is more apt to occur. the fact you are using the Bogen name in it tells my its fairly old.

if you start seeing whitish/greyish powder/crud coming out of it. start looking for a new head. they aren't worth repairing.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:13 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

I open it up and cleaned. Used some WD40 and wiped. Better, but still a little stiff. I had read a silicone base lubricant could be effective but haven't tried. If anyone ever needs to open up it is not very complicated and the correct Allen wrench is in attached inside the rubber cap on the bottom of the center extension pole. (Found by accident when I removed cap to slide out.)

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:17 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

consider buying a quality ballhead - RRS or Markins, ...

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

steve_a_reno wrote:
I open it up and cleaned. Used some WD40 and wiped. Better, but still a little stiff. I had read a silicone base lubricant could be effective but haven't tried. If anyone ever needs to open up it is not very complicated and the correct Allen wrench is in attached inside the rubber cap on the bottom of the center extension pole. (Found by accident when I removed cap to slide out.)

the operative word is lubricant. you don't lube a ball head ball. that then reduces is friction making it less effective and usable.

Nov 03, 2016 at 06:28 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

Thanks for the info. My budget is pretty tight so I will need to make do with what I have. I guess it could be worse.

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:46 PM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

I worked the locking lever back and forth several times while I move the ball head around. This seemed to regain a great deal of fluidity with the ball head. Could have been the pressure from the lever not releasing 100%. ABout as good as new now.

Nov 07, 2016 at 04:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod Ball Head very stiff

excellent

Nov 07, 2016 at 06:03 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password