New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · SB-600 with Better Beamer for birds

akjackson1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB-600 with Better Beamer for birds

I'm interested in exploring the use of flash with a Better Beamer to add a minor "punch" to my bird photography. Definitely do not want the effect to be obviously flashy at all.

With that in mind, how would the SB-600 fair for such use? It would be used in conjunction with a 500 f4, sometimes with 1.4x, and D810. Would it be too weak? How about recycling? Having never used a Better Beamer, I'm unsure what power is usually necessary for a slight fill light effect, and thus not sure what sort of recycle time I'd get.

Anybody used this combo? I'm not excited about spending $300 + on an an SB-910...

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB-600 with Better Beamer for birds

Having a weaker flash can be an advantage as it will be harder to use too much power. Once you are practiced, the more powerful your flash the better. I have a friend that used the SB-600 with Better Beamer and would get a nice fill effect and of cause the very desirable catch light in the eyes. The Better Beamer has the same effect as using a lens that is 2 stops faster or upping your ISO 2 stops. This means less demand for flash output so the batteries last longer and if the subject is close faster recycle times. I've used many diffrent flashes each has it's own personality that you need to understand. I currently use both SB-800 and SB-910 with Better Beamer. The SB-800 is a bit more powerful, the SB-910 has a nice user interface.

I hope this helps Adam,

Morris

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.