New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Sgt_Gatr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Anyone have any pictures of their well used and brassed steel gray M9? I am looking at buying an M9 locally and prefer black but this one is a good deal. I just don't know how it will look given a year or two of use. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Here you go, 6 years old and a shutter count that has passed 42K.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:07 AM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

joakim wrote:
Here you go, 6 years old and a shutter count that has passed 42K.

It looks amazing. Put my worries to rest. Quick question. Did you ever experience the corrosion problem?

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:24 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

No, I haven't had that problem.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:54 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

joakim wrote:
No, I haven't had that problem.

Nice. That gives me hope. This one I am looking at is in immaculate condition but hasn't had the sensor changed.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:59 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

I would've preferred black too as I think they brass better and look nicer overall.

But here's what my silver one looks like after 3 sensors, 4 years, 50 countries, and 80,000 frames of use.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

mikethevilla wrote:
I would've preferred black too as I think they brass better and look nicer overall.

But here's what my silver one looks like after 3 sensors, 4 years, 50 countries, and 80,000 frames of use.

I think it looks awesome! We're the sensor changes due to the corrosion problem? How long was the turn around on the repair?

Oct 22, 2016 at 06:31 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
I think it looks awesome! We're the sensor changes due to the corrosion problem? How long was the turn around on the repair?

Ha. Thanks!

Both sensor changes were due to corrosion. I've heard that they finally fixed the problem, and that all new M9 sensors should be free of it. I don't think mine has one of the updated sensors, but I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood).

Turn around on both repairs was less than two weeks, including shipping to and from CA, and in the first case less than one, as I told them I was in a hurry.

I've heard that customer service has gone downhill since then, so those might not be numbers to quote.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:34 AM
jim_a

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

joakim and mike,

Did your M9's ever need the RF adjusted?

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:37 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

jim_a wrote:

joakim and mike,

All the freaking time. I probably have mine adjusted 2 times a year at least. But then again, you can see I don't exactly treat my cameras kindly.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

mikethevilla wrote:
All the freaking time. I probably have mine adjusted 2 times a year at least. But then again, you can see I don't exactly treat my cameras kindly.

That isn't great news. What is the turn around time for an RF adjustment?

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:26 AM
jim_a

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Thanks Mike. Nice to see people's gear who are out using it and how it wears under extreme conditions.

Just to get a few more details, did you notice if yours went out after taking a hard knock or would they drift off over time? Supposedly the RF units in the bodies with LED light frame lines are less prone to misalignment. Talking to a well known Leica repair person from the Midwest about this, he laughed and said all Leica did is put back a screw they left out of the M9 series.

Oct 28, 2016 at 07:30 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

jim_a wrote:

joakim and mike,

No, not for me. My M9 has been on one trip back to Germany with some lenses for calibration.

Oct 28, 2016 at 04:06 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Wow great replies

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:47 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

jim_a wrote:
Thanks Mike. Nice to see people's gear who are out using it and how it wears under extreme conditions.

Just to get a few more details, did you notice if yours went out after taking a hard knock or would they drift off over time? Supposedly the RF units in the bodies with LED light frame lines are less prone to misalignment. Talking to a well known Leica repair person from the Midwest about this, he laughed and said all Leica did is put back a screw they left out of the M9 series.

I would assume that it's mostly from the hard knocks it takes - they happen often enough that to where I couldn't be sure if it drifts over time or just ends up getting bumped.

I have a local guy in LA who puts it back into spec within a couple days.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

How is it that Leicas, and Leicas only, look better and better the worse look? These look great.

Oct 31, 2016 at 01:12 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

Pavel wrote:
How is it that Leicas, and Leicas only, look better and better the worse look? These look great.

and to my taste, they will still outshoot everything in the FF class at base ISO

Nov 01, 2016 at 12:44 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M9 Steel Gray Brassing

uhoh7 wrote:
and to my taste, they will still outshoot everything in the FF class at base ISO

They also involve the shooter in the act of shooting in a more deep, thorough way. With practice there is a zen to it that makes the time spent honing the skills worthwhile, I believe.

And I say that as someone who is not in the Leica camp now.

Nov 01, 2016 at 10:41 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.