New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Old Judge

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Are there any worthwhile teleconverters for Sony E mount lenses? The Sony teleconverters seem to be [1] unavailable and [2] designed to work with an unreleased lens, the 70-200 GM. Other than those, there were only two teleconverters (1.4x and 2.0x) from a company called Kenko with which I am unfamiliar.

I searched the forum of posts using the keyword 'teleconverter' and came up with nothing on point and decided to ask for help in this new post. If I have missed a post addressing this question, please post a link. If not, what teleconverters are there for the Sony E (full frame) and are any of them good -- and how good or bad are they?

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:02 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

The Sony 70-200mm GM lens is available. Maybe in limited quantity but it is available nonetheless. The same goes for the FE 1.4X teleconverter, it is avalable but the 2.0X teleconverter has yet to see the light of the day. I do have the lens and the 1.4X TC for about a month. Those are the only 2 FE teleconverters and yes, you are correct that both are designed to work ONLY with that GM lens.

Kenko is a generic brand and not a bad brand at that. But I believe the Kenko 1.4X TC you mentioned is for the Sony A-mount and not E-mount or FE mount. Even Sony/Minolta brand TCs if you mount them on a compatible Sony A lens, like the A 70-200mm f/2.8 G lens (G and not GM lens) and you put the combo on a Sony A7 series camera via Sony LA-EA3 or Sony LA-EA4, the AF of the combo won't work. I didn't try this out myself, BTW but read reports on the case. The combo works fine on the Sony A99, for example and it also should work on the new A99 II.

As far as the performance of the FE 1.4X and 70-200mm f/2.8 GM lens concerned, I would say that I can draw a parallel between Sony and Canon. With the 1.4X TC, both lenses show a slight, ever so slight degradation in the performance or IQ relative to the naked lens. They both perform still really well in AF, sharpness and contrast. I do not have the FE 2X TC and I am not sure whether I would buy one but I did have the Canon before. I can tell you that the image degradation was more readily visible. I anticipate that to be the case with the Sony FE 2X TC, as well.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:25 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

I have a white Tamron AF 1.4 converter. All my Minolta A lenses will auto focus using the 1.4X on them using the LA-EA4 adapter. My A mounts with built in motor (Sony SAM 28-75 and Tamron 150-600 ) will auto focus with the 1.4X using my LA-EA3 adapter. I do this on my A7R11 body. I have a Tamron 180 macro, that will also auto focus with the 1.4X on the LA-EA4 adapter. The 4 adapter gives more AF modes.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Harry, thanks for the explanation and confirmation. The report/article I read was not correct then. Since I do not have nor I ever did have any A-mount TC, I couldn't verify that one way or the other.

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:34 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

I forgot my Tamron AF 70-200 with built in motor, will auto focus with the 1.4 on either adapter. I do not believe that i have seen an E mount tele-converter.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Harry,
FYI, here is the info on both TCs as displayed on B&H site including the availability: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Sony+FE+teleconverter&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
Harry, thanks for the explanation and confirmation. The report/article I read was not correct then. Since I do not have nor I ever did have any A-mount TC, I couldn't verify that one way or the other.

Joshua, the report was correct, but with one qualification: Sony's own TC's won't AF in combination with the LA-EA3/4 adapters. I have tried that in a showroom a while ago. No chance even with a fast lens like the 300 2.8.

Edit: Just to add, I've been wondering about the availability of the 70-200GM and the TC's as well. Here in Japan, the TC's aren't even on sale yet and while the lens is theoretically available, Sony anticipates that it takes about three months from order to delivery.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:01 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Chris_88 wrote:
Joshua, the report was correct, but with one qualification: Sony's own TC's won't AF in combination with the LA-EA3/4 adapters. I have tried that in a showroom a while ago. No chance even with a fast lens like the 300 2.8.

Edit: Just to add, I've been wondering about the availability of the 70-200GM and the TC's as well. Here in Japan, the TC's aren't even on sale yet and while the lens is theoretically available, Sony anticipates that it takes about three months from order to delivery.

Thank you for that, Chris! So, Sony's own won't work while Kenko does, apparently.

After I received my GM lens about a month ago, I tried to buy the 1.4X TC and i checked several online stores for the availability more than just a few times but it was never listed as available. I know Chuck Coyne received his from B&H; he was on the pre-order list. To my surprise, it was readily available on eBay from 2 reputable stores at that time. So, that's the source of mine .

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
Thank you for that, Chris! So, Sony's own won't work while Kenko does, apparently.

After I received my GM lens about a month ago, I tried to buy the 1.4X TC and i checked several online stores for the availability more than just a few times but it was never listed as available. I know Chuck Coyne received his from B&H; he was on the pre-order list. To my surprise, it was readily available on eBay from 2 reputable stores at that time. So, that's the source of mine .

You're welcome, Joshua.

Thanks for the heads-up on the TC. Do you have any thoughts on how the GM with the 1.4x TC compares to the slower 70-300G? I'm still antagonizing about my longer lens line-up, I need something faster to go along with my 70-300G and the Nikon 200-500. Nikon has yet to put its 300 2.8 on a diet, so it's very heavy compared to the Sony and Canon 300 2.8's, but there is the 300 4 PF, which has come down in price quite a bit. I'm toying with the idea of adding that or the GM with the TC for when I need more light.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:14 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

Chris_88 wrote:
You're welcome, Joshua.

Thanks for the heads-up on the TC. Do you have any thoughts on how the GM with the 1.4x TC compares to the slower 70-300G? I'm still antagonizing about my longer lens line-up, I need something faster to go along with my 70-300G and the Nikon 200-500. Nikon has yet to put its 300 2.8 on a diet, so it's very heavy compared to the Sony and Canon 300 2.8's, but there is the 300 4 PF, which has come down in price quite a bit. I'm toying with the idea of adding that or the GM
...Show more

Hi Chris,
Like you mentioned, the 70-300mm is slower compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM with a 1.4X TC but performance-wise it is actually really good, at least my copy is. I got images taken at 300mm at wide open that impress me. For sure, it is a fine performer. The GM lens with the TC is about as good as expected of a zoom lens with a TC. I do see a slight degradation relative to the bare lens but it is to be expected. I would not hesitate to use the combo of the lens with that TC and its IQ is comparable to the 70-300mm. Did I expect the zoom plus TC to be better? No, not really but the difference in speed may play a role in rendering the bokeh a tad smoother or it enables you to use a faster shutter speed for whatever reasons to improve your image such as freezing the moment or simply minimizing camera/lens movement.

I will take my GM lens plus TC on a trip in 10 days or so and I will be able to evaluate more thoroughly. I will keep you posted.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
Hi Chris,
Like you mentioned, the 70-300mm is slower compared to the 70-200mm f/2.8 GM with a 1.4X TC but performance-wise it is actually really good, at least my copy is. I got images taken at 300mm at wide open that impress me. For sure, it is a fine performer. The GM lens with the TC is about as good as expected of a zoom lens with a TC. I do see a slight degradation relative to the bare lens but it is to be expected. I would not hesitate to use the combo of the lens with that TC and
...Show more

Thanks always, Joshua. My 70-300G is sharp as well, no complaints. I just used it for foliage and flower shots and it didn't disappoint. If I were to get the GM, it would be primarily for the additional light gathering capability, that comes in handy for anything that moves.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:45 AM
greynolds

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Teleconverters for Sony E Mount Lenses

AGeoJO wrote:
The Sony 70-200mm GM lens is available. Maybe in limited quantity but it is available nonetheless. The same goes for the FE 1.4X teleconverter, it is avalable but the 2.0X teleconverter has yet to see the light of the day.

At least a small number of the 2.0X teleconverters are out there - I've got one and a 70-200 GM from that first small batch that shipped a few months back. However, I haven't had the time / opportunity to do anything beyond mount them and take a few quick shots to make sure that everything works. In some respects, I feel guilty holding onto them as I most likely won't give them any significant use until I go away on vacation sometime next summer, while there are other people who are eagerly waiting for them.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password