New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Max print size from M43 file

TopOfOlympus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Max print size from M43 file

Hi.
Does anyone know what the maximum print size of a M43 image is?
I mean the maximum size while keeping great IQ.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:39 PM
rickster

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Max print size from M43 file

IIRC, Olympus Visionary (and Nat Geo photographer) Jay Dickman said on his blog he prints 40x60 with no problems. I personally don't print above a rare 15x20, so I can't vouch for much beyond that.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:25 PM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Max print size from M43 file

It does rather depend upon what you judge you "great IQ" on

If its viewing from a sensible distance based on the image size then I regularly have 30"x20" images produced from my EM-1 for sale locally

(If on the other hand you want to judge it like some of my photographer friends and competition judges do, with your nose 2ft from the print, its probably nearer 15"x10" )

Files need to be properly exposed and well focused of course

Oct 21, 2016 at 06:06 PM
TopOfOlympus

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Max print size from M43 file

Thanks! 40X60 is what I am after.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:16 PM
rickster

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Max print size from M43 file

TopOfOlympus wrote:
Thanks! 40X60 is what I am after.

I think he posted it in a long post about using m43, perhaps around May of this year. You can search his blog if you want to check.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Max print size from M43 file

16 magapixels provide a print size of 11x16 (2x3 aspect ratio) at 300 ppi, which is not bad by most standards, but Epson printers like 360 and print natively at 720 ppi, so an unimpeachable print would be about 8x10 max.

But mostly I think that people can't tell the difference, depending on subject matter at about 240 ppi. Of course how far back you tend to take a photo in tends to be important as is the average viewers eyesight.

but 20 by 60 sounds like one of those fanboy sites that are so common nowadays.

If you really want to print large ... buy a medium format back, or at least a Nikon D810 and some excellent glass. The M43 stuff is nice and small, but limits are limits and 16 megapixels compared to 40 is a pea shooter at a gun fight.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=54798.0 some info at a higher standards forum

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Blueshound
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Max print size from M43 file

I'm a past m43 user, having used and loved various Panasonic bodies and lenses, the last camera being a GH3. (Currently using a Sony A7RII, which is clearly superior in some ways, but there is a price to be paid in lugging lenses around. I haven't sold my m43 lenses . . .).

I've successfully printed up to 30" x 40" from m43 files with no sign of degredation when viewed from 4 to 5 feet away, but I have always used what is now sold as On1 Resize for any print size beyond what the native file resolution will comfortably provide at resolutions not less than 240 ppi. I typically print on Epson printers, so I favor print files at 360 ppi or greater.

I think that Resize is great, providing you don't try to push it to absurd multiples of native file resolution. I'm pretty sure that the same files that I've printed at 30x40 could be prepared for 40x60 with little or no perceived difference.

If others have experience to the contrary, I'd be interested in hearing their observations.

Brian

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:47 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Max print size from M43 file

TopOfOlympus wrote:
Hi.
Does anyone know what the maximum print size of a M43 image is?
I mean the maximum size while keeping great IQ.

It all depends on the subject matter and viewing conditions. Are we able to remember the Canon D60 and 10D? I am not the only one who made very satisfying prints and large canvas wraps with these cameras. Viewers accepted those prints with great enthusiasm and do so today, too. Are we able to remember the classic Canon 5D full frame DSLR (12 MP) ? Many of us made large prints that seemed astonishingly detailed at the time. So, it is clear that a good capture with a good lens, a solid tripod and good technique can produce beautiful 30x40 prints with M43. On the other hand, it is indisputable that shots made with a good full frame camera and good technique will be superior; in the sense that they can support greater enlargement. Sort of obvious, isn't it? But does it matter? If I were a professional photographer it would be a no brainer; I would aspire to sell really large prints because they command top dollar. I would buy the best equipment for the purpose. But for the rest of us, how many times are you going to print larger than 30x40 in? Is it practical to carry the increased weight for the rare occasion in which you wish to print larger than 30x40?

With all due respect to the others writing on this thread, most of us are amateurs who need only please ourselves and don't make their living by selling photographs. In some respects it is a psychological issue, the need to have mural-ready images, just in case. Most of us, perhaps the vast majority, don't make prints at all. So, to answer the OP directly, with due diligence to technique, 30x40 in is about the maximum for "great" image quality.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Max print size from M43 file

I am about to start selling my prints and I have been told by our "curator" that my 16mp files are not good enough for anything much bigger than about 20" x 16". Sure, you can always go bigger but IQ will be compromised. For large prints FF 36-50mp is best and MF is even better.

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:56 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Max print size from M43 file

So heading back to Zony Bobby

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Max print size from M43 file

Bobby, I've heard all sorts of stories of what is acceptable and what is not, by editors and curators and sometimes it's true that their eyes and standards are good - while other times it's just a thing in their head. I've heard of all sorts of stories about photographers "testing" the rules, often fooling the standard arbiters and showing them to be frauds of a sort.

One guy handed over files with the exif data changed and the file size rezzed up ... and all of a sudden a "no good" camera was "great".

I have on the other hand seen very poor quality photos, almost always landscapes, which were obviously rezzed up too large or which started out shot with the wrong camera.

My former wife used to sell 20x30 posters and we did pretty good business selling them - out of cropped 4 megapixels. I thought they looked pretty bad, but who is to argue with a customer. It helped that they were racing pictures, where fine details don't matter.

Interesting topic.

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:54 PM
Wolfie5

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Max print size from M43 file

The guy at this site says his limit is bit bigger than 16* 20 inches, more like 2 meters wide ... original photo taken on an E-M1

http://nzdigital.blogspot.co.nz/2016/10/is-16-megapixels-enough.html

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Billrus

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Max print size from M43 file

We had a job for a funeral home shortly after the Olympus EM-5 (original model) was available and used it with the Leica 25mm f/1.4. We were hired to photograph a funeral home here in our town and make a display for the county fair which was around 3 feet high and 5 feet long. The client was very satisfied and we were amazed of the quality of the print and even viewed from a short distance. It was taken in RAW and processed in Photoshop and if I remember correctly the file size was around 512 megabytes. The funeral home image went almost entirely across the display with the clients photos and some text added. Anxiously waiting to hear more about the EM-1 MarkII.

Oct 27, 2016 at 02:05 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Max print size from M43 file

As mentioned, the output size and what is acceptable or not is influenced by the expected subject to print size. Billboards may only 15dpi, but can look excellent since you are viewing it from such a long distance. A print if it is expected to be viewed from 6 inches will have to be have a much higher dpi. I've got excellent 13x19 and 20x24 prints from my Canon 10D, and it was only 6 megapixels.

Oct 27, 2016 at 08:58 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Max print size from M43 file

I went up to almost 40 x60 with a jpeg from a rebel XT. One of the Magnum photographers was talking about a 30 foot wide or something mural in a NYC train station, made from a 6mp camera.

But I'm really picky about focus, and seem to use higher ss than most.

FWIW I would rather have a high resolution ff, not the 12MP A7 but a higher resolution one, maybe 5Dsr, if I was printing 40x60 a lot

Great quality is subjective

Oct 30, 2016 at 03:36 PM
String
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Max print size from M43 file

I was worried about this as well so did a test Acrylic print done at (approx.) 30x40 and (IMO) it looked looked great. I've since stopped worrying about it and done multiple others... I've sold 12 to other people who've seen them and another 3 on order.

Oct 30, 2016 at 06:21 PM
drofnad
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Max print size from M43 file

I always recall the Luminous-Landscape article "You've Got To Be Kidding" by the late M.Reichman, where he claimed to have printed 12-x-19" like shots taken with a Hassy 39mpx & Canon G10 14mpx cameras, and that some small set of skilled-in-photography folks couldn't tell which prints came from which camera, even viewed on a light stand and specifically to make this judgement (in contrast to casual observation just to appreciate an image). And then come claims of inferior "IQ" where the difference is maybe 6mpx or APS-C vs. "FF" or M4/3 sensors !!

My surmise on Bobby T's curator is that that judgement is overly sensitive (or just parroted?) to the potentially discernible differences. People who view images for the sake of *art* aren't going to be so swayed by photographic details; and they surely won't be seeing one print set beside another one of the same image but taken with a different camera!

My so-far biggest print (2-x-3') is from a 10mpx LX3, and looks good to me, though hardly somthing with sharp detail available to scrutiny to make one gasp (it's of an old industrial brick building, pretty SOOC JPEG). And I've read of others' having good sales of prints taken e.g. by older cameras, such as a Ganon 20D, over stuff they've printed from newer gear.

-d.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:43 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Max print size from M43 file

A 20x30 print might look good hanging on a wall by itself, but put it up next to a print from a 50 mpix full frame camera and you'll quickly see the limitations. There is no getting around the fact that the more pixels you have to create by uprezzing for your print, the poorer the image quality will be.

A lot really depends on the subject matter. If there is a lot of fine detail in the image that goes to mush when printed big...then you are limited much more in size than an image with little fine details.

As far as looking very close at a large image...ever watch the people at a gallery? Many will come right up to view the fine details from close up...you get a different experience, almost like walking into the image. If there is a barrier, like for a billboard, then you can rely on this "viewing distance" crutch to make larger prits...but if the print is hanging where there is no barrier then it better stand up to being looked at from very close.

I personally would not print anything larger than say 16x20 from a 16mpix image. Everyone has their own standards, but my prints need to stand up from close viewing.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Max print size from M43 file

It is rather ridiculous when people say "x by y" is the largest you can make an acceptable print from "x" number of megapixels.

There are many factors other than just viewing distance involved. Besides distance, print texture, lighting, the image itself, there is the very important factor of what each individual viewer finds acceptable.

There are probably millions of prints from photos that have been hanging on walls for more than 50 years that were taken with 35mm film cameras and early DSLR's. Plenty of 40x60 or larger prints have been made from 4MP DSLR's. I have sold 4 feet x 5 feet images from 35mm Kodachromes that are hanging in offices.

The many 16x20 prints out there that people are happy with, that have been made from 4MP images, and the people that bought them, did not have to compare them side by side with 50MP images.

So the best answer to the OP's question is, "You can make the print as large as you want, as long as YOU are happy with it."

Nov 11, 2016 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password