Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Can you actually use one of these for Birds in Flight. I know there capabilities are getting better all the time. Would be nice to be able to have onr in the car just in case. that and the sensor size virtually doubles any lens that you put on and one of these with a 300 would be perfect.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:28 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

The short answer is No. Not for the average Joe anyway. The C-AF tracking is currently painfully slow, inconsistent, and not very accurate ... compared to the DSLR. Having said that, a few people have successfully shot BIF with an m43 camera, like this guy:

http://www.mu-43.com/threads/share-birds.4838/page-438#post-930252

The E-M1 Mk II promises to be a much better camera for BIF. It will be more in line with the C-AF tracking ability of the Sony A6500 and Fuji X-T2 ... and it should come quite close to a DSLR.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

I took a look at that Olympus and thats a camera with a lot of potential, especially hooked up with the 300mm tele from Olympus as well. Make a nice camera for BIF If everything works a s planned. have to keep an eye on that one.
Thanks for the heads up ! I've always liked Olympus cameras, that and there not afraid to step outside the box.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:36 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

While I think you can, with all but the latest gear the keeper rate is much lower than with some of the regularly used camera/lens birding combinations.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:28 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

My answer is yes you can with some limitations. The EM1 results are very lens dependent, when I got the 300f4 it dramatically improved my results. I'm confident with medium to large BIF's being in focus with a high percentage of keepers, with small birds like swallows my results aren't great but that may be my slow reaction time. I regularly shoot with Canon and Nikon shooters and am fairly competitive on most situations except where birds fly directly at you. It isn't a D500 but it does work pretty well once you learn the nuances.

That said, I do have a pre-order in on the new Mark ii which will apparently step this up quite a bit.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:30 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

As Bob said, it is possible to shoot BIF with the EM-1 with a reasonable success rate.

For me the key thing was to stop trying to use it like I did my 7Dmk2 and learnt to use it as an EM-1, it is different from a DSLR and needs different settings / technique (forget about using CAF and tracking for example)

I'm happy enough with my success rate that I have now sold my 7Dmk2 + 400 f5.6L and 70-300 LIS and put the money aside for the EM-1 mk2

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:31 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

I never use C-AF which is next to useless, and I use the 9-point AF points, but my keeper rate even with the 300/4 PRO lens is extremely low.

Brian Wadie wrote:
As Bob said, it is possible to shoot BIF with the EM-1 with a reasonable success rate.

For me the key thing was to stop trying to use it like I did my 7Dmk2 and learnt to use it as an EM-1, it is different from a DSLR and needs different settings / technique (forget about using CAF and tracking for example)

I'm happy enough with my success rate that I have now sold my 7Dmk2 + 400 f5.6L and 70-300 LIS and put the money aside for the EM-1 mk2

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

interesting Bobby, I also tend to use 9 point box when shooting in clear sky but often revert to large or small centre point when shooting against a confused background

When the light is good or there is good contrast I reckon on 40-50% success but when shooting low contrast subjects in low light it will drop right away

It could of course reflect the fact that over the years I have learnt what shots work with the EM series so tend not to try for shots where I know its unlikely to work.

I usually shoot SAF + MF, 9fps with short bursts of 3 -5 frames in a sequence

The key technique I have found to improve my success rate is to track the subject in flight, using rapid half-presses of the shutter button to maintain focus then closing the shutter button at the moment I anticipate the action I want

As I said above, very different from my 7Dmk2 technique

(I've not used the 300f4 (too expensive for me) but have used the 75-300mk2, 4/3rds 50-200 SWD, EF-400 f5.6L, EF-70-300 LIS via metabones smart T, and now the Panasonic 100-400 and the technique seems to work with all of these)

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

For BIF I set up two Mysets, both use CAF (not tracking), 10 fps, one uses 9 points or all points (I change to all points if going after smaller birds in the sky), the other uses the large single point for busier backgrounds. I usually use electronic shutter, only changing if after very fast birds like hummers or panning with buildings in the background since those will show rolling shutter effects. After firmware v3 I find my success rate is much higher with CAF than SAF.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

That's real interesting as it's counter to the popular believe that S-AF works better than C-AF, and that electronic shutter should be avoided for moving subjects because of the rolling shutter effects - even though electronic shutter generally results in sharper images.

Bobg657 wrote:
For BIF I set up two Mysets, both use CAF (not tracking), 10 fps, one uses 9 points or all points (I change to all points if going after smaller birds in the sky), the other uses the large single point for busier backgrounds. I usually use electronic shutter, only changing if after very fast birds like hummers or panning with buildings in the background since those will show rolling shutter effects. After firmware v3 I find my success rate is much higher with CAF than SAF.

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

I must try your settings Bob as even with the latest firmware I don't see CAF as giving better results than SAF (there seems to be a longer pre-focus time with CAF and I get focus drop out after about 3 frames) , it does show yet again how there can be several ways of achieving similar results

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:53 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Brian, I agree it takes a bit longer to lock on, but after that I find it quite effective. I use caf lock high,release priority s off and rlease priority c on, release lag time normal.

Fwiw, there are any number of people on DPReview using these settings, under the Olympus SLR Forum there is a weekly Sunday Bird thread with some of us. (I hope that doesn't violate decorum to mention another site!)

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

It's not the best, but is doable with some practice.
I use the PanLeica 100-400 on my E-M1, C-AF (no tracking), high speed burst, and turn both lens OIS and Camera IBIS off. Keeping the speed up is paramount and I only do this in good light.

I use the large single focus point.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:40 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Beautiful shots Gary!

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:44 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Beautiful shots Gary!

Oct 23, 2016 at 03:45 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

This is pretty good!

gary0319 wrote:
It's not the best, but is doable with some practice.
I use the PanLeica 100-400 on my E-M1, C-AF (no tracking), high speed burst, and turn both lens OIS and Camera IBIS off. Keeping the speed up is paramount and I only do this in good light.

I use the large single focus point.

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:21 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

pictures are worth many words Gary, nice demo

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:01 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

thanks Bob, I make the occasional post there myself

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:01 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

It can be done yep. Easier with a DSLR of course--but that's gonna change with the OMD M1 mk II !!
Here's a couple via Lumix GX8 + Pan-Leica 100-400mm

Gaping Tern by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Terns in turn by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

A Tern for the better by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

RTH via GX8 + Leica 100-400mm. rs sig by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

Oct 23, 2016 at 08:49 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Micro 4/3's for Birds in Flight ?

Great shots as always, Medicine Man.
In fact, it was your earlier images that enticed me to buy the PanLeica 100-400...wonderful lens.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password