FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Blakemore
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

First time at Valley Forge yesterday. There's a lot there to see and shoot, especially with the fall colors right now. Didn't have a lot of time there so I'm sure we'll be going back at some point. It was really overcast and I was hoping it would clear up around sunset, but no luck.

Off to downtown Philly today, and perhaps Ft. Washington State Park. Looking forward to some of the old street shops and such.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:58 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

I like the composition here, Jeff. Especially with the light and leaves beginning to change.

I haven't been to VF in awhile, so I think it's time for me to head back up there.

-Nick

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:39 AM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

this is very nice both from the framing perspective as well as color grading perspective.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

nburwell wrote:
I like the composition here, Jeff. Especially with the light and leaves beginning to change.

I haven't been to VF in awhile, so I think it's time for me to head back up there.

-Nick

Thanks Nick! So glad you like it. I really enjoyed VF, I could probably spend two or three days there shooting.
---------------------------------------------

ramkumar999 wrote:
this is very nice both from the framing perspective as well as color grading perspective.

Thank you! I think one of the most difficult parts of post for me is deciding which way to go with color. I guess it comes down to the individual image and how the "feel" of the color fits it. Then I'll take the same image and convert to grayscale... then I really have a difficult time deciding.

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:28 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

I like the atmospheric effect and muted colors. Reminds me of British landscape painters like Constable. Maybe even a French Watteau.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

I like the light and the toning in this image. What I don't like is the wide angle convergence and lack of verticals that should be.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Maybe fixable in Photoshop? I've done it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Hey Jeff,

Jeffrey brings up a good point about the verticals, but as it is, I still really like this, especially the light, it has a very nice feel to it.

Jim

Oct 22, 2016 at 02:43 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Jeffrey wrote:
I like the light and the toning in this image. What I don't like is the wide angle convergence and lack of verticals that should be.

Thank you very much @dalite and Jim!

@Jeffrey, thank you so much for the comment. Would you mind giving me some details concerning what you mentioned about verticals? It seems like it may be self explanatory but I don't want to assume when I see an opportunity to learn. Thank you!

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:16 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Blakemore wrote:
@Jeffrey@, thank you so much for the comment. Would you mind giving me some details concerning what you mentioned about verticals? It seems like it may be self explanatory but I don't want to assume when I see an opportunity to learn. Thank you!

I'm referring to the visual effect created when using a wide angle lens and it's axis is not truly horizontal. In this image the center of the lens is aimed at the center of the structure. So, the right and left sides of the house are leaning slightly towards the center. Also very noticeable with the trees in the right side forest. If the camera were held straight upright, that effect would be minimized or eliminated. Although any rule can be broken in the proper circumstances, the generally accepted guides state that in architecture, verticals (corners, doors, windows, etc) should be vertical. You can get away with some distortion in landscapes, but so often we see stands of leaning trees that should be straight, and to some photographers like myself that is bothersome. Others see that or do it themselves so often that they don't notice it after a while or simply don't care. Take a look at a copy of Architectural Digest magazine. Hundreds of pictures and no distortion anywhere. I think your image is only a mild case of this effect and still stands as a pleasing photograph.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM
roshambo123
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

The verticals can easily be straightened in Photoshop with the lens correction tool.

My thoughts are while I like the fall foliage I think the mass of yellow leaves in the upper right compete with the house for attention. Also, while the warm white balance works for the leaves and grass, I'm not sure it plays well with the storm clouds.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:04 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

dalite wrote:
I like the atmospheric effect and muted colors. Reminds me of British landscape painters like Constable. Maybe even a French Watteau.

+1 The atmosphere in this image is wonderful. Nicely done!

Jeffrey wrote:

...but that's assuming a 250(?) year old structure has vertical lines!

Jon

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:08 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Looks great!!!!
Dan

Oct 23, 2016 at 04:55 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

lovely shot Jeff

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:59 AM
Powidi

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Very nice !

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:48 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Officer's Quarters at Valley Forge

Jeffrey wrote:
I'm referring to the visual effect created when using a wide angle lens and it's axis is not truly horizontal. In this image the center of the lens is aimed at the center of the structure. So, the right and left sides of the house are leaning slightly towards the center. Also very noticeable with the trees in the right side forest. If the camera were held straight upright, that effect would be minimized or eliminated. Although any rule can be broken in the proper circumstances, the generally accepted guides state that in architecture, verticals (corners, doors, windows, etc) should
...Show more

Thank you for taking time to provide details Jeffrey! I wasn't sure if you were referring to distortion or an aspect of composition such as having more vertically structured objects in the image to balance a strong horizontal feel.

Architectural distortion from a wide angle lens is something I kinda flip flop on. I can certainly appreciate how it bothers some photographers. For me, I think it depends on what my intended application is. I've actually enhanced it and used it for dramatic effect at times.

For this shot, I don't think I even thought about it but I do think you're correct and it could benefit from correction. I certainly don't think it could hurt anything, so I've attached a corrected version to this post. Let me know what you think

Danpbphoto wrote:
Looks great!!!!
Dan

Thank you Dan!

kmunroe wrote:
lovely shot Jeff

Thank you Kenny

Powidi wrote:
Very nice !

Thank you @Powidi

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:27 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.