New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Fall colors

lighthound
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall colors

Shot these Wednesday afternoon. Not the greatest light conditions but it was fun getting out there.
I've lived around this area for over 20 years and never knew about this mill until Socrate told me about it.
Thanks Socrate!

The last image is the best I could get from the BRP that evening. I was just pulling into a pull off when the sky erupted into this gorgeous red/orange that fill the air. By the time I jumped out of the truck and got my camera set-up it was gone and the sun peaked out from behind the clouds and washed everything out. So much for a fall color shot but I gave it my best shot with what I was given.

Let me have it good or bad and any suggestions on how to improve.

Dave

Living Waterfalls 1

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    16mm    f/11.0    1/20s    50 ISO    -3.7 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    16mm    f/11.0    1/6s    50 ISO    -1.7 EV  

BRP sunset

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    18mm    f/11.0    1/15s    50 ISO    -2.0 EV  

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall colors

3,1,2 in that order for me. I really like the last one, I did not see the color so I am not influenced by what might have been and this is a very good sunburst shot well processed.

The first is also very good but the clouds seem if not blown, they are monochromatic with no detail. If you have a darker sky/cloud version I would look at blending the sky from it. Or start with the darker and pull up the shadows.

The 2nd is fine, but just not as interesting as the other two for me.

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:07 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall colors

These look good, Dave. However I'm going to be hypercritical because in my view these could be improved further. That doesn't mean I'm right, though. Just my thoughts

#1: Yup, the clouds are blown and the sky has too much green in it. The brightness of the image doesn't seem to reproduce the natural amount of lighting. A bit too flat. In particular the FG waterfalls, the subject of the image, are too dark compared to the sky. Use The Dodge and Burn Tools to reproduce the light and shadows of the scene. I don't think you need so much sky and some of the left side of the image could be cropped out to better emphasize the subject.

#2: Probably the best of the three images. The light looks more naturally reproduced. The sky has still a bit of green, but looks better than the first one. What could improve the image, in my view is the composition. The Mill is in a awkward position in the frame and you don't need all that sky. Again the left side of the image doesn't add much and could be cropped out getting the subject closer. I always start my composition having the "rule" of third in my mind to help me make informed decisions and to try to make the subject the most prominent element of the image. So try to place the mill on the upper right third and see how you like it. The "rule" of third is one of the oldest and most fundamental principles of composition and has been used in century of art history by the most famous artists in the world. However we should blend the intent of this rule with our personal vision but if we don't know the rule we can't break it.

#3: Again lighting and composition. The horizon is placed in the middle of the frame and that creates some confusion on the viewer because it is not clear what to look: the sky or the mountain. So decide what to emphasize choose the appropriate 1/3rd and make that element you want the viewer to see more prominent. My instructor used to say: "There is not "one size fits all" in photography" Another thing he used to say (always) was: "Make it simple!" Which to me is the greatest rule of composition.
The sun is hitting the foreground and to my eyes it should be brighter. Again, use the Dodge and Burn tools to reproduce the lighting situation.
I did a quick re-editing your images following those lines to make my comments easier>
Having said so all what it matters at the end is your personal taste.
Socrate

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:11 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall colors

ben egbert wrote:
3,1,2 in that order for me. I really like the last one, I did not see the color so I am not influenced by what might have been and this is a very good sunburst shot well processed.

The first is also very good but the clouds seem if not blown, they are monochromatic with no detail. If you have a darker sky/cloud version I would look at blending the sky from it. Or start with the darker and pull up the shadows.

The 2nd is fine, but just not as interesting as the other two for me.

Thank you Ben for your picks and your eye. You are correct, I blew those clouds even though I shot numerous 3 frame bracketed shots to get the full DR. I thought I had it on my last set but when I got home I couldn't recover the clouds like I wanted. I'm still getting use to the DR of this 5DII. And unless I'm crazy, something funky happens when I try a recovery like this and the image starts to fall apart. Never noticed this issue with my 70D.

I'm not real happy with the mill shot either. I know I can do better than what I posted here and I'm heading back up there right now to give it another shot or 100.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

Shasoc wrote:
These look good, Dave. However I'm going to be hypercritical because in my view these could be improved further. That doesn't mean I'm right, though. Just my thoughts

#1: Yup, the clouds are blown and the sky has too much green in it. The brightness of the image doesn't seem to reproduce the natural amount of lighting. A bit too flat. In particular the FG waterfalls, the subject of the image, are too dark compared to the sky. Use The Dodge and Burn Tools to reproduce the light and shadows of the scene. I don't think you need so much
...Show more

Thank you Socrate for that excellent critique and edits. I agree with most everything you suggested.

In #1 & #2 I was worried about loosing what little color I had and chose not to crop the sky out too much but I can see that I left a lot on the table by processing to the dark side. I don't know why but I always do that.
I'm starting to think that maybe subconsciously I'm afraid to go brighter thinking it might show any flaws or something. I have to work on this because that really makes things pop the way I like them to.

In the 3rd image I was afraid to make it look HDRish so I kept the shadows down as that's what it actually looked like. But I totally get what you're saying on the FG brightness and I'll make some adjustments there. Maybe not as bright as your edit shows but I like the direction.

Thank you both for such great comments and for taking the time!

Time to get back out there now. Super heavy winds today so I'm a little worried that the color is going to be gone.

Dave

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password