New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Culling Away From my Desktop

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Culling Away From my Desktop

I'm a professional wedding photographer who very often works in postproduction 8 hours a day. A big part of what I do is culling through large wedding galleries. I have a 5K iMac and it's very zippy but I'm looking for a mobile culling solution. If nothing else, this will give me the ability to cull on the couch and away from my desk. Because when you spend a lot of time in postproduction your desk can start to drive you crazy haha!

So right now I'm using LR mobile on my phone to cull through a wedding and it's not too shabby. I'm enjoying it so much in fact, that it makes me curious about an iPad Pro or the tiny 12 inch MacBook. Do any of you have experience culling through images with either of these devices? Does the Apple Pencil for example, help speed up the culling process in any way? Thanks!

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:57 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Culling Away From my Desktop

When I get to shoot lots of stuff (Bike and Car racing ) I'll do most of the culling on my Macbook Air .
basically import either into my Air or the iMac and then create smart previews and use them to cull . works fine for me . LR is as quick as it needs to be in Library mode (I couldn't say I could zip thru my images any faster)

but I've also been thinking about the 12" macbook . I've had a go on one with LR (the original one not the updated one) and LR ran perfectly fine . the screen is much nicer than my 11" air .

but then I've also been looking at the iPad pro (12") . I've still not done a huge amount in LR mobile but I can see that its grown into much better companion tool than it was when it came out . still not sure I could cull thru tons of images on it though .

Oct 21, 2016 at 06:16 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Culling Away From my Desktop

How do you manage the LR database(s) in this respect, given it is not possible to work on the same catalogue over 2 computers?

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Culling Away From my Desktop

I just drop the LR CAT file and my smart preview file onto a thumb drive and run it on the laptop

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Culling Away From my Desktop

The "how" seems pretty easy. You make a collection, turn sync on for that collection. After that, any changes you make to the images in the collection will be reflected on all your devices. The images you're adjusting are all smart previews, so they take up little space and can be processed quickly.

I just want to say, that tor me, actual image adjustments don't make a lot sense. An exposure adjustment on an iPad just isn't going to look the same on my iMac. There could be a calibration solution that would fix that problem. But for now, I'm just interested in culling

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:35 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Culling Away From my Desktop

ohsnaphappy wrote:
The "how" seems pretty easy. You make a collection, turn sync on for that collection. After that, any changes you make to the images in the collection will be reflected on all your devices. The images you're adjusting are all smart previews, so they take up little space and can be processed quickly.

I just want to say, that tor me, actual image adjustments don't make a lot sense. An exposure adjustment on an iPad just isn't going to look the same on my iMac. There could be a calibration solution that would fix that problem. But for now, I'm just
...Show more

yeah thats how you do it to LR mobile . you can't do that if your culling on another mac/pc though (i wish it was possible sometimes)
so having messed about with various methods Ive come down to just moving my cat file and smart preview file around on a thumb drive . now that 128gig (and bigger) thumb drives are available and cheap (enough) i don't have to mess around with cutting my smart preview files into smaller chunks anymore

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:47 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Culling Away From my Desktop

I think Ian has summed it up. If you want to use iOS then get an iPad for a bigger screen. I don't think the pencil will help with just culling. An iPad Air or Pro would make a nicer experience than the smaller phone screen.

If you get a 12" rMB then dropping the catalogue and SPs onto it and then back to the iMac works well. I do this with a 256GB USB3 stick from Corsair which is one of the fastest available so transfers are fast. Sometimes I actually drop my full 1:1 preview files even though it is over 100GB as transfers from one computer to the other is still only a few minutes. Then you can do some editing also if you so choose. I have the original 12" rMB with the highest spec, the newer ones should be better. However, don't use it for generating 1:1 previews as it is ridiculously slow at that and processor is throttled very early.

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password