FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Too many cameras, help? :(

travis.c
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Too many cameras, help? :(

And also, I really appreciate the help. I think I really overlooked the idea of having a dedicated secondary camera of my own. I think the D700 will be a good piece of equipment for me and when I can add a second body of some sort I think it will be a great companion.

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:13 PM
InlawBiker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Too many cameras, help? :(

You will be fine. I just talked to a local wedding photographer who just bought my D700. She tried a D800, didn't take to it and went back to D700's. Keep spending as little as possible on the body and keep the good lenses and you'll be golden.

Incidentally I just got an email from Adorama for refurbs. D750 is $1500, D7100 $580, D7200 $789. Some other good looking deals in there happening right now!

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:00 PM
travis.c
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Too many cameras, help? :(

InlawBiker wrote:
You will be fine. I just talked to a local wedding photographer who just bought my D700. She tried a D800, didn't take to it and went back to D700's. Keep spending as little as possible on the body and keep the good lenses and you'll be golden.

Incidentally I just got an email from Adorama for refurbs. D750 is $1500, D7100 $580, D7200 $789. Some other good looking deals in there happening right now!

Thanks! It's good to hear. Now I have to decide which lens to get first...

I noticed that there is a $300 rebate on Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC right now that drops it down to $1200. A used copy looks like it'll run around $1500-1800.

Anybody have input on this?

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM
akul
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Too many cameras, help? :(

charles.K wrote:
+1 for the D750

I recently moved away from the A7rII because of the size/weight and cost of the fast lenses, and have opted for the Fuji XT2 and for FF the D750.

The D750 second hand can be acquired for 1/4 of the price of the A7rII in Australia and makes for a great option.

Sorry totally off topic. Charles, Really? You are not shooting with A7? No Leica? and now shooting with D750?? When I started posting here at FM, you might have had canon for a short time then moved on to Leica if I am not mistaken. So great to see you hanging out here. Hopefully I find your shots here too!

Luka

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Too many cameras, help? :(

First advice I would offer is not to buy new...

Shop smartly here... you can save yourself a fortune. If you decide you don't like a choice you made, you can always resell without much loss.

It's a great way to try new things.

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Too many cameras, help? :(

travis.c wrote:
I do agree that the D7200 seems like something that is way more capable than I gave it credit for initially. If you had a situation like mine and already have a secondary camera, would you still buy 2 D7200s? Or would you go D500 or possible FX and then at a later point add a secondary?

Thanks for your input Kent.

Travis

Yes. I used to do weddings with a pair of D7100 and very rarely felt "undergunned." There just isn't that much difference. Not one of my customers can tell the difference between photos made with a d7100 vs. D800e in "normal" shooting situations. Where the d800E pulls ahead is when I'm making really big enlargements. (And the D7100 has better AF for night time football.) There is about a one stop difference between D7100 (and I assume D7200) and D800e for ISO. I regularly pushed D7100 to ISO 2000. I've seen people here post shots from D500 and D7200 shot at ISO 6400 that looked amazing. The reason was they are very good at using software. Honestly, I think FX is way overhyped.

My philosophy on camera gear has evolved to this:
Think of camera gear as a SYSTEM, not pieces. It all works together. I see the system as lenses, tripod, flash system, and software. I try to get the very best lenses available for what I do, have a first class tripod & ballhead (not as important for you,) a very powerful & capable lighting system (10,000ws and ~10 radio triggers for what I like to do,) and I have the software I need (I've come to think that software is now 30% of photography!) Into this system I plug a new camera every couple of years. The cameras are "disposable devices" now. I have been buying models that have either been out for a year so there's cheaper used ones available, or buy one that's recently replaced. (Will totally skip the D810--no difference in image quality between it and D800E.) And yes, I think for what you do a pair of D7200 will be more than adequate. Remember, by buying used you aren't losing nearly as much $$ as when you by a new camera. They depreciate very quickly, Lenses, flash, tripods hold their value far better. Once you have a solid system set up, you can very easily change cameras at any time. I no longer think of buying and keeping a digital camera for the long term. My photography gear system is not based on a camera body. By buying used stuff, I can quickly dump any of the pieces and replace with something else, and I'm not losing much $$ in the switch.

Think carefully about what you photo, and the conditions. That will dictate what lenses you need. Then consider what flash you need (you probably can get by with only an SB-900 or its equivalent.) It sounds like you can get by without a tripod, but I will say the best way to get sharpness is from using one when possible. Software--CC is the basic and probably all you need. I also use an X-rite Color Checker Passport to get skin tones exactly correct, and for tricky mixed lighting (weddings again.) Also have Portrait Pro. Have been considering DxO but remain unsure at this point. I have the computing power to quickly crunch through hundreds of wedding photos very efficiently--probably something you don't need, and a regular graphics monitor. Computers/software are now a major part of photography.

For you, a system I'd suggest is:
x2 d7200
Nikon 20mm f1.8G
Nikon 50mm f1.8G
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 OS HSM (excellent lens)
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC (DxO rates it higher than Nikon)
x1 Nikon SB-900, with modifier (such as Lumiquest or Gary Fong)
Camera bag
x4 spare batteries

This will give you back up camera and back up lenses. The SB-900 will give you off-camera flash with enough power to use a modifier (very important for real portraits.)

Again, think system.

Kent in SD

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Too many cameras, help? :(

akul wrote:
Sorry totally off topic. Charles, Really? You are not shooting with A7? No Leica? and now shooting with D750?? When I started posting here at FM, you might have had canon for a short time then moved on to Leica if I am not mistaken. So great to see you hanging out here. Hopefully I find your shots here too!

Luka

Hi Luka Yes I had the 5DII and L series lenses, and Canon for about 8 years before migrating to Leica for the size and weight. The issue I had with the 5DII with fast glass, 50L and 85L II was that the AF was not consistent or very accurate, regardless of calibrations. I moved to MF ZE glass and the weight/size killed me traveling through Asia. Leica was wonderful for about 6 years with the M9/M240/Mono but the servicing of Leica's was not there. To recalibrate a M240 would take about 3 1/2 months having to be sent to Solms. This was unacceptable having to have a backup for long periods.

I went with Sony A7's and they started as small/light cost effective systems, but with the latest iterations the A7rII and GM lenses are larger than DSLR counterparts. The problem was size/weight and cost in Australia is just crazy! The A7rII sells for over 4K AUD and the GM 70-200/2.8 is 4.2K.

I have now settled with XT2's with the Fuji lenses as they are superb system.

For FF I have opted for the D750. I purchased the D750 second hand as new with 4K shutter count for the equivalent of 1200 USD. My logic is different from others as I don't need the stratospheric MP's as I feel you lose some of the feel in the rendering of images particularly for portraits and street/event photography.

The larger/fat pixels seem to give the beautiful film like rendering. Some of my favorite cameras D700, Sony A7s and this is why I opted for the D750. Size wise is not much larger than the A7rII but if you compare the A7rII with the FE 50/1.4 lens which is my standard workhorse, the D750 with the 58/1.4 is smaller and lighter surprisingly!!

I apologize to the OP for taking it off subject, but hopefully some of the thoughts and experiences may help

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Too many cameras, help? :(

D700 is a fine option. It is one camera that I never have owned, but sometimes think about getting one even now. Not far off from the D3 in most ways, but you can get them for a steal at the moment. Older sensor tech, so DR will be less than the newer stuff, but I've always loved the output. I know a few who still shoot them professionally.

Single card slot might be one draw back, but really a solid camera that is unlikely to depreciate much over the next year or two. Basically, if you take care of it you can probably unload it in a year and upgrade if you choose without much or any loss.

Agreed, the 50mm f/1.8g is a steal for how it performs. I ended up switching to the 1.4d because I liked the rendering better and the bokeh was less sterile. It isn't as good a lens by many estimations, but it has more character for sure. I'm actually selling my 1.4d now as well, though, because I've come to the realization that I don't really enjoy shooting a 50mm focal length. Nothing against the lenses, more against the focal length for how I work.

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:32 AM
akul
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Too many cameras, help? :(

charles.K wrote:
Hi Luka Yes I had the 5DII and L series lenses, and Canon for about 8 years before migrating to Leica for the size and weight. The issue I had with the 5DII with fast glass, 50L and 85L II was that the AF was not consistent or very accurate, regardless of calibrations. I moved to MF ZE glass and the weight/size killed me traveling through Asia. Leica was wonderful for about 6 years with the M9/M240/Mono but the servicing of Leica's was not there. To recalibrate a M240 would take about 3 1/2 months having to be
...Show more

Wow. Thank you. Apology for continuing to be off topic, but Charles, thank you for sharing your experience. It will be a treat to see your shots with 58/1.4 !! I really loved your works in the alt forum.

Luka

Oct 22, 2016 at 01:41 AM
travis.c
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Two23 wrote:
Yes. I used to do weddings with a pair of D7100 and very rarely felt "undergunned." There just isn't that much difference. Not one of my customers can tell the difference between photos made with a d7100 vs. D800e in "normal" shooting situations. Where the d800E pulls ahead is when I'm making really big enlargements. (And the D7100 has better AF for night time football.) There is about a one stop difference between D7100 (and I assume D7200) and D800e for ISO. I regularly pushed D7100 to ISO 2000. I've seen people here post shots from D500 and D7200
...Show more

Thanks for the well thought out and informative response Kent. I agree that after mistakes I've made in the past that I'm ready to look for and build a system instead of just looking at one camera or lens as the only gun I'm bringing to the fight.

I did go ahead and pick up a D700 with 11k on the shutter earlier and it looks incredibly clean. I think it'll do me fine, and now I need to look into a backup and some lenses. I have been wanting that 20mm 1.8g for a while, but I don't think putting it on a DX body would unleash it's real power since it would equal an odd focal length. I feel confident in the D700 purchase though, and now I need to decide what to purchase next.

Another thing I think I should mention is that my paid work at this point is few and far between it seems, so I don't have to be in a big rush to spend my money.

Travis

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:41 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Too many cameras, help? :(

DxO scores the D700 almost as highly as the D7200 (80 vs. 87), so you should be OK. I would prefer the newer focus system of the D7200 for night football games though.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D7200-versus-Nikon-D700___1020_441

Kent in SD

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:52 PM
travis.c
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Two23 wrote:
DxO scores the D700 almost as highly as the D7200 (80 vs. 87), so you should be OK. I would prefer the newer focus system of the D7200 for night football games though.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D7200-versus-Nikon-D700___1020_441

Kent in SD

All of my football games thus far have been shot with a Canon 6d (rated at 82 by DxO) and I've done pretty well, at least for what I've needed to accomplish. I'm sure the 6D is also inferior to the D7200, but you are making an excellent case for a secondary camera haha!

Travis

Oct 22, 2016 at 05:26 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password