New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Too many cameras, help? :(

travis.c
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Basically, I think I have researched myself into paralyzation. I'm basically looking for the best all around camera I can get that will serve me for a few years or until it dies.

For my personal work I do a little bit of everything I guess you'd say, and I'm not sure where my photography will take me after school. That being said, I really like to be prepared to handle things that come up. For instance, I have shot freelance for a local magazine (portrait work, high school football games, and misc. events) and my mirrorless would not have sufficed for all of that work.

So I've looked and read all sorts of things online and I'm totally not sure which move to make. I'm starting fresh with no lenses or anything. Cameras I've looked at with high interest...

Nikon D3 and D3S: too old, how long before I can't get it repaired? too heavy? Is it overkill and I'm just being woo'd by "pro build" and button layout? Megapixel count doesn't bother me much. High ISO would be lovely.

Nikon D750: What is with the recalls? Should I worry about that? I mean they can't even get the eye piece to stay on...otherwise it seems like the best all-around as far as my needs/wants (except it's missing the circular eye piece, I love that circle for some reason)

Nikon D500: Crop sensor costs the same as the other options, wait, what?? I don't think there's anything about it that would "bother" me besides the crop factor, and that's only when it comes to wide angle and potentially portraits. Then again, if I'm not comparing a portrait made with it next to a portrait made with a full frame then I'll never really know the difference in depth of field probably.

It seems like they can all be had for roughly the same price, and that is making it extremely difficult for me. I'm not asking for somebody to spend my money for me, but I wanted to bounce this off of the community here and see what you guys think. And if it helps, I really think the D750 is at the bottom of the list for me, but what say you? Any info is appreciated.

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:25 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Well, if it were me in the same position I'd cross the D3's off the list right away. Unless they're <$1000 I wouldn't buy one, because from an IQ standpoint theres better (pretty much everything out there until you get to really high ISO, and even then most current bodies are really close), and from an AF stand point there's better (D500, which is basically D5 AF).

"Pro build" is overrated. I work freelance as well, mostly commercial fashion, but unless you're shooting in the rainforest or on the top of Everest (or similar locations) I don't think "Pro" build is a big deal. I've shot in mist, rain, deserts, with both "consumer" bodies and "pro" bodies. Both work the same. Too many photographers speak like they're shooting in Kandahar jumping out of blackhawks onto rocks/dirt. And as far as drops go (the other reason people bring up build), I live by the philosophy that you can always just not drop your stuff. Also, know one photographer acquaintance who dropped his D4 from waist level onto concrete...completely shattered the body (and a large chunk of the mag shell broke off). Anecdotal, yes...but it still goes to show that the wrong drop at just the right angle/situation can spell disaster regardless of the build materials. Just my 2 cents, but I've never thought it was necessary for ~95% of people out there (ergonomics are another issue entirely though)

So with that in mind, I'd go with either the D750 or D500. I'd probably lean more towards the D500 though, as all the images I've seen from it and reviews would suggest that it performs admirably at higher ISOs and of course there's that new AF system. A lot of the final decision would depend on how you shoot, and what focal lengths you prefer, as well as your budget for lenses. I don't think you could go wrong with either body though as long as you pair either one with some solid lenses.

ETA: If you do decide that the pro body is for you (or I guess in this situation I'm saying that if I myself were to go that route) the D4 can be found used for ~$2000 nowadays.

Edited on Oct 21, 2016 at 01:50 AM · View previous versions

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:44 AM
travis.c
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Too many cameras, help? :(

tdlavigne wrote:
Well, if it were me in the same position I'd cross the D3's off the list right away. Unless they're <$1000 I wouldn't buy one, because from an IQ standpoint theres better (pretty much everything out there until you get to really high ISO, and even then most current bodies are really close), and from an AF stand point there's better (D500, which is basically D5 AF).

"Pro build" is overrated. I work freelance as well, mostly commercial fashion, but unless you're shooting in the rainforest or on the top of Everest (or similar locations) I don't think "Pro" build
...Show more

Thanks for your response!

That's exactly the type of help I'm looking for, somebody to help me see from another perspective. I agree about the "pro" build. I'm definitely not hard on my equipment, but I think I would rather have something built semi-tank-like than something that the eye piece won't even stay on. I say that because I hate to spend the money and have to "put up" with some sort of stupid issue like that.

Definitely would want to put nice glass on there, but I am trying to keep my budget to myself as I don't want that to influence others. I don't think the fact that the D500 is a crop sensor camera is something that would keep me from buying it either...

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:50 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Too many cameras, help? :(

What do you have right now? Do you have any existing lenses? What is the mirrorless you mention and are you keeping that system around as well?

UPDATE: I creeped on your website and instagram. Looks like you've got at least an XT1. What is that not doing that you want a DSLR to do?

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:35 AM
InlawBiker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Too many cameras, help? :(

I would just get a D7200 or D600 and go from there as a student. No specific need for pro features = spend the minimum on what fills your requirements. They are all good cameras.

Oct 21, 2016 at 02:57 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Too many cameras, help? :(

I'd think a D750 would be the perfect fit. I think you would find it plenty robust for the work you describe and it's very flexible. I wouldn't worry about recalls at this point - they probably have it sorted out

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:16 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Too many cameras, help? :(

keep researching until the D760 is released

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:40 AM
travis.c
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Too many cameras, help? :(

BSPhotog wrote:
What do you have right now? Do you have any existing lenses? What is the mirrorless you mention and are you keeping that system around as well?

UPDATE: I creeped on your website and instagram. Looks like you've got at least an XT1. What is that not doing that you want a DSLR to do?

Absolutely camera-less right now, besides the camera I have for my job with the university which is a Canon 6d. The last year I've been terrible with having camera flings...D610, a7s, x-t1, it's bad! I made some good images with the x-t1, but it started to feel more like a toy than a tool. And in less than "ideal" light, some of the files have a weird look to them which I just couldn't get over.

I just think one of the above-mentioned cameras wouldn't prevent me from anything, and I've never had the "weird look" from any of the other cameras. Sort of like...I have a 4wd, even though I don't use it all the time, it's there when I need it

Travis

InlawBiker wrote:
I would just get a D7200 or D600 and go from there as a student. No specific need for pro features = spend the minimum on what fills your requirements. They are all good cameras.

If I am going to "sacrifice" and get a crop-sensor then I would definitely go with the D500, but I did look into the D7200 especially for price/performance ratio. I did have a D610 at one point, but I ended up selling it because I wanted to try mirrorless.

I agree they're all good and I wouldn't have an issue making decent images with any of them. I'm just trying to think long-term as I haven't in the past and I really want to build a system now. The student comment wasn't necessarily from a financial standpoint as much as it was a career standpoint.

Thank you though!

Travis

Steve Perry wrote:
I'd think a D750 would be the perfect fit. I think you would find it plenty robust for the work you describe and it's very flexible. I wouldn't worry about recalls at this point - they probably have it sorted out

I agree that the "pro" models would probably be overkill as far as ruggedness goes. The D750 was at the top of my list until I got into this recall nonsense and then I started to wonder... It probably is the best "compromise" of technology/performance/price out of them though, huh? When I was looking at the D500 and D7200 I did check out your high ISO test that you performed actually, thanks for that!

I appreciate your help.

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:45 AM
travis.c
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Too many cameras, help? :(

rw11 wrote:
keep researching until the D760 is released

As my luck would have it they would probably release it after I buy a camera and the price of the D750 drops...

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:46 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Too many cameras, help? :(

If you're starting from scratch and want a capable jack-of-all trades that can keep up with action for sports and see in the dark, the D500 would probably be a smart choice. Pair that with the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and 50-100 f/1.8 or one of the many good 70-200s out there.

The D750 is one of those things that looks really good on paper. I thought so, at least, until I shot with one for a couple of weeks. Files are great, AF is really good, but I didn't enjoy the grip, build, or the slow max shutter and sync speeds. If you had a D610, just imagine that with a slight boost in ISO performance and AF that functions properly.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

travis.c
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Too many cameras, help? :(

BSPhotog wrote:
If you're starting from scratch and want a capable jack-of-all trades that can keep up with action for sports and see in the dark, the D500 would probably be a smart choice. Pair that with the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and 50-100 f/1.8 or one of the many good 70-200s out there.

The D750 is one of those things that looks really good on paper. I thought so, at least, until I shot with one for a couple of weeks. Files are great, AF is really good, but I didn't enjoy the grip, build, or the slow max shutter and sync
...Show more

I have started a list of potential camera/lens combos to help me sort it all out.

The grip is something I've tried to consider. It's deeper, yet more narrow, and I'm not sure how that will feel. The D610 was fine, but it's not really something that I miss so I don't have a reason to pick up another one.

AF, low light performance, and the feel of a camera are the biggest things for me. I wouldn't be buying a D500 for the insane buffer or 10FPS, but, much like a 4x4, it could come in handy. Just trying to think long term. And I could always keep the D500 as a backup and pick up a full frame at a later point.

BTW thanks everyone for your help and advice. Sometimes it's good to listen to others and get opinions instead of trying to play it all out in my own head.

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:07 AM
eke2k6
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Too many cameras, help? :(

The D610 and D750 handle entirely differently. The D750 grip is much more comfortable, I know because I shoot with both at weddings. The D750 grip is deeper and contours to my hand better.

To me, theD750 is the goldilocks of the camera world.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:11 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Too many cameras, help? :(

LENSES are going to be more important than a camera. It's the lens that determines what you can photo. I suggest you buy TWO used D7200 because if you have only one camera, you will be totally shut down when (not if) it screws up or something happens to it. I'm assuming you're a beginner and don't yet realize just how valuable having TWO capable cameras are when you are shooting for someone else. A Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC plus D7200 is a truly excellent combo for non-pro football.

--->Putting big dollars into a camera and then having to go cheap on lenses is the classic beginner's mistake.

Kent in SD

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:26 AM
glowhunter
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Too many cameras, help? :(

travis.c wrote:
Nikon D750:
What is with the recalls? Should I worry about that? I mean they can't even get the eye piece to stay on...otherwise it seems like the best all-around as far as my needs/wants (except it's missing the circular eye piece, I love that circle for some reason)

Nikon D500:
Crop sensor costs the same as the other options, wait, what?? I don't think there's anything about it that would "bother" me besides the crop factor, and that's only when it comes to wide angle and potentially portraits. Then again, if I'm not comparing a portrait made with it next
...Show more

Bodies are only half the equation. Even though the d750 and the d500 are the same price (essentially), the selection and price of their respective lenses are not the same. What's your overall budget? What focal length do you find yourself shooting at the most? What percentage of your shooting will be sports? portraits? etc.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:30 AM
travis.c
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Two23 wrote:
LENSES are going to be more important than a camera. It's the lens that determines what you can photo. I suggest you buy TWO used D7200 because if you have only one camera, you will be totally shut down when (not if) it screws up or something happens to it. I'm assuming you're a beginner and don't yet realize just how valuable having TWO capable cameras are when you are shooting for someone else. A Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC plus D7200 is a truly excellent combo for non-pro football.

--->Putting big dollars into a camera and then having to go
...Show more

YOU don't have to DO THIS when you talk lol. I understand the importance of lenses, but my point was to help narrow down a camera decision as the best glass is well, the best glass. It's not as difficult of a decision to make.

You are correct in that I'm a beginner, but that doesn't mean I'm dumb.

Travis

---------------------------------------------

glowhunter wrote:
Bodies are only half the equation. Even though the d750 and the d500 are the same price (essentially), the selection and price of their respective lenses are not the same. What's your overall budget? What focal length do you find yourself shooting at the most? What percentage of your shooting will be sports? portraits? etc.

Outside of a wide angle lens, I would buy FX glass so it wouldn't make a difference. My question wasn't about lenses, and I didn't make the post to have you guys build me a package or share financial information. I was simply trying to get some additional info or advice on a camera body. I do appreciate the thought though.

Travis

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:36 AM
glowhunter
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Too many cameras, help? :(

travis.c wrote:
Outside of a wide angle lens, I would buy FX glass so it wouldn't make a difference. My question wasn't about lenses, and I didn't make the post to have you guys build me a package or share financial information. I was simply trying to get some additional info or advice on a camera body. I do appreciate the thought though.

Travis

yup, you are definitely a beginner.

Oct 21, 2016 at 04:40 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Too many cameras, help? :(

Well, that got out of hand.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:10 AM
travis.c
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Too many cameras, help? :(

I gave information that was important to me about making a decision. Just because I didn't give some info that somebody thinks they need to help me make a decision doesn't make me a beginner.

For those who actually offered information, I appreciate it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:15 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Too many cameras, help? :(

D500, Sigma 18-35 and 50-100. And later add 300mm 4.0E or 70-200 2.8 and a 10-24 and you are set for life.
If you only have budget for 1 lens, then just buy the D500 with 18-35, you won't regret it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:09 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Too many cameras, help? :(

BSPhotog wrote:

I was done with crop cameras forever until I tried the D500 with the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8. For action shooting, I don't think there's a better value on the market than this combination. I rented the D500 and the Sigma lens for several shooting-heavy days and was astounded by the system's performance. I would scratch the D3/D3s right off your list (I have a D3x, and its AF doesn't hold a candle to the D500), and think long and hard about whether the FX/DX will really make a difference vis-a-vis the high framerate and superior AF of the D500. I think you'll probably find yourself coming down on the D500 in the end, and not feel you're sacrificing much of anything.

Arka C.

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:16 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password