New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

paregorike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

Thoughts?

I tried the lens with the Sony A7RII and MC11(demo) at PDN Photoplus.

The lens is sharp at 1.4. The lens needed a firmware update as the AF didn't work on my camera. I did MF with focus peaking. It is big but fits snugly with the adapter on the Sony A7. I feel it is as sharp as the 50 ART.

I am planning to buy this lens.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

It depends what you want to use the lens for. In my case, the main reason for getting a lens in this focal length is for portraits. And as such, my idea of a portrait lens is not super sharp rendition but pleasant rendition of the person/people being photographed. And of course, the bokeh rendition plays a significant role also.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

Let's see how it goes among the heavyweights in the class. Big enough ('an absolute behemoth') to dwarf a D5, a typical Sigma with 14/12 design, 86mm filter thread. $1200 according to Matt Granger. If you want to see how you will be perceived by your subjects, go to 3.35 of the vid on Granger's page:

http://www.mattgranger.com/sigma85

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:59 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

I'm a portrait photographer so 85 is one of my fave focal lengths.

Oct 21, 2016 at 05:34 AM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

Photoplus with so many photographers getting to test it and with the pending release date, I'm sure alot of people will have a proper portrait review of it soon. The size is not a problem if they can deliver beautiful bokeh rendition and fast&acurate AF. This will hold me until tamron 115 1.4

Oct 21, 2016 at 09:45 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

I saw a picture comparing the new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art to the Nikon and Canon counterparts. The Sigma lens is roughly the same in diameter with the other 2 but it is quite a bit longer. Keep in mind that the Canon is an f/1.2 lens while the others are an f/1.4 lenses. The filter diameter of the Canon is 72mm while that of the Sigma is 86mm though. In addition to the already longer dimension, we still need to use an adapter for the Sigma to make it work on the Sony body. It is also reported that the lens is heavy and rightfully so, considering the filter diameter. Nothing against Sigma or this lens in particular and I am sure, it is a very sharp lens alright but it is not for me. In addition, I am happy with my GM lens anyway .

Here is the link: http://petapixel.com/2016/10/17/review-sigmas-85mm-f1-4-art-lens-exceeds-expectations/

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

I shoot with the 85GM, but at $1,200 for the Sigma I'll take the Batis 85 over the Sigma 85 any day of the week. The Zeiss is smaller, lighter, and is a true native lens.

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:03 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 85 1.4 ART Canon version with MC-11

I think the natural competition for this lens for Sony shooters is the GM. Sigma may be as good, we'll have to wait and see, but whether it's as good, or a little better or a tiny bit worse we are talking about a level of performance here - huge - where other factors are likely more important.

If I were a Canikon user I'd be very interested indeed. It's like a fair bit better than the alternatives currently available (though on Canon you have to choose between the likely better overall performance of Sigma over the f1.2 goodness of the 1.2L) But on Sony I'd pay the premium to get no adapter and native AF on a GM if I wanted 1.4 - and if I could settle for 1.8 I'd get the Batis to save on weight and bulk at the slight expense of smoothness wide open in the bokeh...

Oct 24, 2016 at 05:13 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.