Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but...

Audii-Dudii
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but...

but this afternoon, I attached a pair of zip ties to the macro ring of my partially broken, manual-focus-only RX1:

Because I focus the lens on this camera manually, via its macro ring, getting my big fingers on it without also touching the focus ring (which then automagically engages the focus magnifier / zoom function and moves the focus point off infinity, which I don't want) has proved to be slightly tricky whenever the Bronica compendium lens shade is also installed.

The zip ties are spaced ~180 degrees apart and serve as poor-man's lens tabs, which makes it much easier for me to precisely focus the lens, especially when I'm photographing at night and have only one hand available because my other hand is holding the flashlight that's pointed at the subject.

Although I don't expect many others here to focus via the macro ring as I do, this kludge will also work on the focus ring and may prove useful to those who manually focus (or trim the autofocus) using it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but...

Clever, simple, solution!

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:21 AM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but...

Well yes and no. It belongs to bubblegum fix category and is perfect example why some companies do not get ergonomics right. Neither did Zeiss with their loxias and focusing ring vs. Aperture ring.

Oct 21, 2016 at 07:24 PM
Audii-Dudii
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but...

MJKoski wrote:
Well yes and no. It belongs to bubblegum fix category and is perfect example why some companies do not get ergonomics right. Neither did Zeiss with their loxias and focusing ring vs. Aperture ring.

In fairness to Sony and/or Zeiss (or whichever entity designed the RX1's lens), the macro ring wasn't designed to be used the way I'm using it.

It was intended to be used more as an on-or-off switch, with it merely switched from one position to the other, and not at intermediate settings. Nor was the RX1's lens ever expected to have a 645-format compendium shade hung off the end, either...

For its intended purpose, I believe the macro ring design is fine. It's only when it's used as I do that the ergonomic issues I noted arise...

Oct 21, 2016 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password